shape
carat
color
clarity

Knox Jewelers

BLM_26

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know why Knox Jewelers in Minneapolis, MN stopped setting stones you brought in? I'm positive that they use to do it, and for a smaller family-owned shop you'd think they would want to keep doing that from a customer service standpoint. There website now says very explicitly that they will not set any stones that are not provided by them. I have a family stone that I really want set into a custom ring and my family has used Knox for years so I am kinda bummed that they won't do it anymore.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I am going to take a stab and say it was probably a liability issue if they should damage the diamond while setting it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I imagine that is true, plus they may have wanted to encourage local people to buy diamonds from them rather than online.

But in this case, I would call or preferably go in the store and tell them that you have a family stone that you need a setting for. I think they might view that situation differently.

BLM_26

Rough_Rock
I think that's probably a good idea and had planned on swinging over there next week to discuss it with the guys there. I guess I was just curious if anyone on here has used them recently to set a stone they had brought in and whether that is a "rule" they are willing to budge on some.

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I fell in love with a knox setting before I got engaged and I tried so hard to have them set FI's grandmothers diamond they just flat out said no and refused to answer to any negotiations at all.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
BLM, there is a terrific jewelry store in New Brighton called Innsbruck Jewelers. If you stop in, they will work with you. My family (tell them Julie says hi) has been shopping there for over 20 years and we often bring in family stones and we have a blast designing new rings or necklaces. It is family owned by Steve and Margaret (who are there most days) but Ben or Michelle are great to work with also!

Even if you opt to go someplace else after you talk to Innsbruck, at the very least, you will have had a great time talking with them, seeing their work, and learning new things about jewelry.

You will find them off of Hwy 694 and Silver Lake Road...

BLM_26

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip on Innsbruck, I'll have to check them out. Bummer about Knox not budging on that policy.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can’t speak for Knox but the usual reason jewelers make this decision is because of the liability associated with setting stones. Sometimes it’s because they want to use the quality of their setting or the convenience of working with them as a sales tool for encouraging diamond sales. Often stores with this sort of policy will make exceptions on a case by case basis. Have you spoken with them in person about your situation?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results