shape
carat
color
clarity

Knife-edge vs. Bombe shank

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jerryw

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any opinions on the difference between a knife-edge vs. bombe shank? I''m looking at a 6-prong Solstice Solitaire. I''ve seen pictures on the internet, and I''m not quite sure I know what the difference is between the two.

Thanks!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 9/13/2003 1:48:45 PM jerryw wrote:

"Does anyone have any opinions on the difference between a knife-edge vs. bombe shank? I'm looking at a 6-prong Solstice Solitaire. I've seen pictures on the internet, and I'm not quite sure I know what the difference is between the two."

I was hoping that *YOU* were going to post photos! I have never heard of a "bombe shank", but have two rings with very thin knife-edge shanks. I love the latter!

read.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jonathan's site was helpful as always! I saw pictures of the so-called "bombe shank".

It seems to me that the bombe shank is a normal shank the narrows right before the area where the stone is to be set (when viewed from above). When viewed from the side one sees that the shank widens underneath the area that appears to narrow above, providing strength to what LOOKS delicate from above (when the stone is facing up in the setting).

In its design the "bombe shank" is similar to my knife's edge shanks: it is wide below what appears narrow. The setting I saw is a fairly common one. Many shanks are wider on the band and taper as they get towards the stone.

read.gif

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
The bombe shank pics I tried to attach didn't work, so go here:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/pictures_of_settings.htm

and scroll down til you see the pics of the bombe shank. The Bombe shank is rounded, and sits low to the finger. The knife edge actually comes to a point so that you see more stone than setting when you are looking face down at the setting.

If you go here, you'll see the original Tiffany & Co. version. Hope this helps!

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/tiffany_setting.asp?

curiouscanuck

Rough_Rock
I'm also thinking of buying the Stuller Solstice bombe shank.

Does anyone know how wide (mm) and thick the bombe shank is? My girlfriend has a 4.5 size ring finger. She doesn't want it to be too bulky or chunky.

Anyone have a bombe shank and think it's too wide or thick?

Thanks.

Southern Yankee

Rough_Rock
I just bought a Stuller Solstice with the Bombe shank for an engagment ring for my girl. The shank is 3mm wide and probably 2 or 3 mm thick. I do not think its to big at all. I like its look a lot.

curiouscanuck

Rough_Rock
Thanks.
2.gif

Subsequent to my earlier post, I've bought the Tiffany style 6-prong setting from Superbcert.

It was a toss-up between the Stuller Solstice or the Tiffany style. Both are very similar. But in the end, I went with the Tiff.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results