shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitty had to go to the emergency room tonight

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I had my family over for Christmas eve dinner tonight. B/F brought me some beautiful lilies for my table. After everyone left, I noticed Kitty on the table eating the leaves. I moved the lilies outside, so she wouldn't nibble on the leaves any more, then decided I to check the internet to make sure the plant wasn't toxic to cats. Sure enough lilies are VERY toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure. I called the emergency room and the doctor said, you have to bring the cat in to induce vomiting. I brought her in and they weren't able to get her to vomit (sorry for the details). They gave her activated charcoal so the leaves would bind and pass through without absorbing any more into her system. She's there overnight with an IV. Poor kitty
7.gif
I'm so stressed...I wish there were warning labels on flowers indicating whether they are poisonous to animals, or not. B/F feels awful and he was only being sweet and thoughtful
7.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marvel, I have heard of this before with the lilies - hang in there - you acted so fast - well done, I am sure kitty will be fine. This isn''t widely known that these flowers can be toxic, so thank you for posting this to remind us all. Please keep us posted.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
poinsettias too!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many plants can be toxic to animals, so it is good to go on line and check, and try to avoid those in your home. In someone else''s home you have less control, but at least it helps to be a bit educated about it...I hope kitty is fine, I am sure since you acted so fast all will be fine soon!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope Kitty will be OK. It was a good thing that you had an emergency room nearby.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear about this, but its a really good thing you got kitty in to the vet so quickly - lilies are very toxic as you said. Good for you for being a responsible pet owner and making sure your cat got care quickly. I hope kitty feels better soon!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2006 7:52:00 AM
Author: ladykemma
poinsettias too!

Interesting reading.....

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh I''m so sorry, but you were a responsible owner and looked up what you needed to know and acted fast. I''m sure she will be fine thanks to you!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, hope your kitty turns out ok, and with the least confusion/illness as possible! So sorry to hear your festivities took a turn for the worse pet-wise...but again, as other posters have said, good for you for being a conscientious pet owner and getting her to the vet ASAP! Take care!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2006 11:18:26 AM
Author: diamondfan
Many plants can be toxic to animals, so it is good to go on line and check, and try to avoid those in your home. In someone else's home you have less control, but at least it helps to be a bit educated about it...I hope kitty is fine, I am sure since you acted so fast all will be fine soon!
Yes many plants and flowers are very toxic to animals. I try to always be sure if we have flowers in the house I pick up any fallen flowers ASAP or leaves etc. Sometimes it's tough though to remember to do it all the time. Luckily for us for the most part P does not eat stuff like that. She's not an 'eater' of things, she typically likes to sniff and shred.

I also have a list of 'ingredients' like herbs or vegetables etc that Portia should never eat on our fridge and before I give her something off her regular menu aka a piece of something we are eating, I always try to check the list to be sure that no ingredients are on there.

Sorry to hear about your kitty, marvel..hope she's doing better. At least you caught it right away!

Here's a list of poisonous plants for small animals:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=18&cat=1914&articleid=1616

another on foods:
http://www.entirelypets.com/toxicfoods.html

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for everybody''s concern and well wishes. Kitty''s back home after spending two nights in the emergency clinic. She was on IV fluids to flush out her system, among other meds. Her blood tests are all normal and kidneys seem okay at this point....Thank goodness!! I''m not sure if she''s okay because we acted fast, or if it would have passsed without any problems, but it wasn''t a chance worth taking. I hope my little scare helps others keep their pets safe from flowers and plants.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news Marvel!!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad she''s OK.
36.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
So glad your kitty is okay, Marvel!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear about your kitty marvel, glad to hear she is back at home and doing better.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad she''s ok marvel. Thankfully you caught her eating them and got her to the hospital on time.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I am glad that your kitty is home and feeling better!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad she''s home and well!!
36.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, good! I''m so glad your little furball is OK! Lucy and Milo (my little furballs!) send warm get-well wishes!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results