Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitty had to go to the emergency room tonight

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
1,133
I had my family over for Christmas eve dinner tonight. B/F brought me some beautiful lilies for my table. After everyone left, I noticed Kitty on the table eating the leaves. I moved the lilies outside, so she wouldn't nibble on the leaves any more, then decided I to check the internet to make sure the plant wasn't toxic to cats. Sure enough lilies are VERY toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure. I called the emergency room and the doctor said, you have to bring the cat in to induce vomiting. I brought her in and they weren't able to get her to vomit (sorry for the details). They gave her activated charcoal so the leaves would bind and pass through without absorbing any more into her system. She's there overnight with an IV. Poor kitty
I'm so stressed...I wish there were warning labels on flowers indicating whether they are poisonous to animals, or not. B/F feels awful and he was only being sweet and thoughtful
 

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
42,064
Marvel, I have heard of this before with the lilies - hang in there - you acted so fast - well done, I am sure kitty will be fine. This isn''t widely known that these flowers can be toxic, so thank you for posting this to remind us all. Please keep us posted.
 

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
11,016
Many plants can be toxic to animals, so it is good to go on line and check, and try to avoid those in your home. In someone else''s home you have less control, but at least it helps to be a bit educated about it...I hope kitty is fine, I am sure since you acted so fast all will be fine soon!
 

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
5,039
I hope Kitty will be OK. It was a good thing that you had an emergency room nearby.
 

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
7,770
I''m sorry to hear about this, but its a really good thing you got kitty in to the vet so quickly - lilies are very toxic as you said. Good for you for being a responsible pet owner and making sure your cat got care quickly. I hope kitty feels better soon!
 

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
3,287
Date: 12/25/2006 7:52:00 AM
Author: ladykemma
poinsettias too!
Interesting reading.....

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp
 

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
4,360
Oh I''m so sorry, but you were a responsible owner and looked up what you needed to know and acted fast. I''m sure she will be fine thanks to you!
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,744
Aw, hope your kitty turns out ok, and with the least confusion/illness as possible! So sorry to hear your festivities took a turn for the worse pet-wise...but again, as other posters have said, good for you for being a conscientious pet owner and getting her to the vet ASAP! Take care!
 

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
31,003
Date: 12/25/2006 11:18:26 AM
Author: diamondfan
Many plants can be toxic to animals, so it is good to go on line and check, and try to avoid those in your home. In someone else's home you have less control, but at least it helps to be a bit educated about it...I hope kitty is fine, I am sure since you acted so fast all will be fine soon!
Yes many plants and flowers are very toxic to animals. I try to always be sure if we have flowers in the house I pick up any fallen flowers ASAP or leaves etc. Sometimes it's tough though to remember to do it all the time. Luckily for us for the most part P does not eat stuff like that. She's not an 'eater' of things, she typically likes to sniff and shred.

I also have a list of 'ingredients' like herbs or vegetables etc that Portia should never eat on our fridge and before I give her something off her regular menu aka a piece of something we are eating, I always try to check the list to be sure that no ingredients are on there.

Sorry to hear about your kitty, marvel..hope she's doing better. At least you caught it right away!

Here's a list of poisonous plants for small animals:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=18&cat=1914&articleid=1616

another on foods:
http://www.entirelypets.com/toxicfoods.html
 

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
1,133
Thanks so much for everybody''s concern and well wishes. Kitty''s back home after spending two nights in the emergency clinic. She was on IV fluids to flush out her system, among other meds. Her blood tests are all normal and kidneys seem okay at this point....Thank goodness!! I''m not sure if she''s okay because we acted fast, or if it would have passsed without any problems, but it wasn''t a chance worth taking. I hope my little scare helps others keep their pets safe from flowers and plants.
 

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
5,039
Glad she''s OK.
 

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
10,589
So sorry to hear about your kitty marvel, glad to hear she is back at home and doing better.
 

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
3,255
I''m glad she''s ok marvel. Thankfully you caught her eating them and got her to the hospital on time.
 

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
1,733
I am glad that your kitty is home and feeling better!
 

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
1,831
Oh, good! I''m so glad your little furball is OK! Lucy and Milo (my little furballs!) send warm get-well wishes!
 
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top