shape
carat
color
clarity

Kite diamond necklace

samranmal

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

My Mom bought this necklace on consignment. I don't remember the exact specs on the piece, but the main diamond is just over 3 carats, K color and I believe VS2 clarity. You can see the color with the black background, but it is much more white when worn. There are no markings on the necklace.

According to the woman who consigned it, the necklace had been her grandmother's and was purchased (and supposedly designed/manufactured) in France. The necklace originally had another kite diamond that sat on top of the existing one (mirror image). The woman had that portion removed and made into a ring. (don't worry, my Mom and I have both already let it be known that we would buy that piece if the woman decided to part with it. I don't know why you would break up something this beautiful).

Anyway, it appears to be art deco period to me...but that's just based on the design. Anybody have any thoughts or seen anything similar? I would love a way to verify the seller's account of origination/time period.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20170801_095003243-2.jpg
    IMG_20170801_095003243-2.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20170801_100533.jpg
    IMG_20170801_100533.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20170801_094728420-3.jpg
    IMG_20170801_094728420-3.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20170801_094728420-2.jpg
    IMG_20170801_094728420-2.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 28

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know anything about the original setting ?

Large triangles have always been an exotic diamond shape. I have seen a few step cut triangles in dated settings & no more [ why do anything else with them macle twins ? ª]

There must be more, methinks ...

Just a tought

___
ª attempted humour, of course ...

Last edited:

samranmal

Rough_Rock
According to the woman who consigned the piece, this is the original setting and was designed/purchased in France. The only thing that was different with the original necklace was another kite diamond that sat on top of the existing one....

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's stunning! Can you check for markings with a loupe to make sure there aren't any? Sometimes they are very small. A pic of the back of the pendant would be helpful. If possible, get a good pic of the round diamonds as some PSers are able to give a time estimate based on the faceting. What metal do you believe it is?

samranmal

Rough_Rock
Here are some back side shots (and a neck shot for fun)....I couldn't get any good pictures of the smaller diamonds, but they all do have cutlets (very small ones) just like the main stone. I was at least able to get a picture of that.
I checked all around for markings...the only one I found was on the clasp: 585...so I guess that answers it's platinum. Granted the clasp could have been replaced at a later date, so I don't know if the whole necklace is 585 or 950 platinum (if that helps with dating).

There are no other markings. I fear that if there had been a marking by the designer, it may have been on the part that was removed by the owner. IMG_20170802_111418220.jpg IMG_20170802_112019448_HDR-2.jpg IMG_20170802_112124190-2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting cut on the triangle: step pavilion & brilliant crown ... Of course, it could be done today, but, what the chances ! (saying it with regret, for sure).

I am trying to imagine two of these as parts of a pin - either as a double-clip or jabot WWW brooch forms ... Either seems to make sense, somewhat. In either case, there would have been a third piece - a frame with mechaical detail - holding the triangles together...

The two tringular plaques (large diamonds & their frames of baguettes) could well have been a pendant also - perhaps as a first transformation (both brooch styles are rather long gone). It is not too hard to imagine both attached to form a rhomb - a fairly natural pendant shape (in which, I would forever see the twin pieces of a double pin, sure enough).

It is fun speculating, but ... I am not an appraiser of period jewelry, by all means & would not disagree with one, should they have a very different idea.

_____
Footnote

The chain is beautiful - in its own right !

Last edited:

samranmal

Rough_Rock
Interesting cut on the triangle: step pavilion & brilliant crown ... Of course, it could be done today, but, what the chances ! (saying it with regret, for sure).

I am trying to imagine two of these as parts of a pin - either as a double-clip or jabot WWW brooch forms ... Either seems to make sense, somewhat. In either case, there would have been a third piece - a frame with mechaical detail - holding the triangles together...

The two tringular plaques (large diamonds & their frames of baguettes) could well have been a pendant also - perhaps as a first transformation (both brooch styles are rather long gone). It is not too hard to imagine both attached to form a rhomb - a fairly natural pendant shape (in which, I would forever see the twin pieces of a double pin, sure enough).

It is fun speculating, but ... I am not an appraiser of period jewelry, by all means & would not disagree with one, should they have a very different idea.

_____
Footnote

The chain is beautiful - in its own right !

Thank you for your thoughts! I really wish some of these older pieces could talk and tell us their story. I also wish I could get my hands on the missing piece. :) It makes me sad to think of them split up!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It makes me sad to think of them split up!

I know I would feel the same ...

Obviously, the owner of the other half could part with your half - perhaps she would not mind changing hers for another in the same taste ? Not that there is a ready fountain of Art Deco style diamonds of interesting shapes ... some such things are being cut today WWW (see web addresses of the first poster).

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results