shape
carat
color
clarity

Key to Symbols in GIA grading report

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dee96789

Rough_Rock
So... I was just wondering, and feeling a bit blind.

If you''re looking at a Key to Symbols in the GIA grading report section, and they have listed cloud, feather, natural, would you expect to see these features in the plot?

I was just wondering as I haven''t been able to visually find the green carrot shaped natural symbol in my actual GIA plot.

Thanks for any feedback!
Dee

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 2:47:23 PM
Author:dee96789
So... I was just wondering, and feeling a bit blind.

If you're looking at a Key to Symbols in the GIA grading report section, and they have listed cloud, feather, natural, would you expect to see these features in the plot?

I was just wondering as I haven't been able to visually find the green carrot shaped natural symbol in my actual GIA plot.

Thanks for any feedback!
Dee
Thats odd...Here is a report with an example of a natural marked in green as usual, is the the actual report you are looking at or a scan? Sometimes with scanned copies the symbols don't show up clearly...

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/certificate.aspx?idno=2080404&file_name=1

dee96789

Rough_Rock
Actual report... its actually for my ring... I had gotten it appraised by Neil a while ago and we were just looking at things for insurance as we''re adding my new wedding band and his wedding band to a policy. As we were looking I noticed that there was that Key to Symbols and I can''t find the natural in the plot, but it''s listed. Hence the question....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 3:16:11 PM
Author: dee96789
Actual report... its actually for my ring... I had gotten it appraised by Neil a while ago and we were just looking at things for insurance as we''re adding my new wedding band and his wedding band to a policy. As we were looking I noticed that there was that Key to Symbols and I can''t find the natural in the plot, but it''s listed. Hence the question....
As far as I am aware it should be there on the clarity plot marked in green as you mention, did Neil see the report?

dee96789

Rough_Rock
He did and we verified the items in the plot. But as I didn't see it in the plot, I didn't ask about it. At that time I didn't even notice the natural symbol noted in the Key to Symbols.

So short answer... if its in the Key to Symbols, it should be in the plot.

ETA: Thanks Lorelei!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Bear in mind that often naturals are near the edges of a facet or the girdle, so it''s pretty easy to miss the symbol since it''s right on top of a facet line (and green to black is not high contrast).

dee96789

Rough_Rock
Thanks oldmancoyote... I took my loupe (who knew I could use it for anything other than jewels!) and looked over all of the edges of the plot, and I finally found the natural. It was on the edge of the plot and right where the facet line was... basically hidden like you said. It was also very very tiny, barely a green line visible, not even a carrot visibl. Thanks for sending me to look closer at the edges. -Dee

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 5:12:15 PM
Author: dee96789
Thanks oldmancoyote... I took my loupe (who knew I could use it for anything other than jewels!) and looked over all of the edges of the plot, and I finally found the natural. It was on the edge of the plot and right where the facet line was... basically hidden like you said. It was also very very tiny, barely a green line visible, not even a carrot visibl. Thanks for sending me to look closer at the edges. -Dee
9.gif
LOL.

Glad to be of help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results