shape
carat
color
clarity

Kenny, and other FCD loves

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Opinions requested, please. I am looking for what people LIKE and what they think would be collectable items, prone to HOLDING value (not necessarily increasing).

The fancy intense unmodified orange paired with the fancy intense unmodified blue

-or-

The new gray violet pear, Argyle origin

:confused:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Were there specific examples that you had in mind when you wanted an opinion? I did not see links and pictures

Personally, without question it would be the unmodified pure orange and blue with intense hues.

Maybe if it was pure violet or a very very good grayish violet that might be different, but I think the blue and orange will be more commercially viable from a value standpoint. And I actually like them more too. The violet might be rarer, but blues and oranges are by no means common either.

That's just me though :saint:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, Tristan, they are all from Leibish (www.fancydiamonds.net) and I tried to avoid posting links in case one was snatched out from under me. But for you to see them, they are literally the only unmodified intense blue and intense oranges that they have listed. The orange is one that Kenny has posted on my previous thread about FCD education.

I am leaning in the double stone direction, because I like those colors - but I've always been told it is economically more wise to spend one's budget on a single stone, and not divide it between two. The only thing I like about the gray violet is that it is certified from Argyle, and as an Australian, I'd like to have an Australian stone. =)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, of course what I like is what I've bought.
I suspect the most likely to hold value will be the most rare.
But nobody can see the future so, as we often hear, buy gems for what you love.

The only way I even remotely consider my FCDDs to be an investment is if the stock market crashes.
The FCDs will be worth something so I think of them as a prudent small part of a diversified long term portfolio.
Even then long term is they only way to recoup part of the loss that results from having to pay retail but having to sell at wholesale. ;(

Before Argyle was discovered there were not many pink diamonds floating around.
Some day a mine may be found with gobs of colors that are most rare today.
Nobody knows for sure.

Leibish now has a gray-violet Argyle pear on hold. :lickout:
Was that you? :naughty:

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
imo, if we're talking about rarity... the argyle violet pear might be more rare than a pure intense orange and intense blue in question... how many argyle violet have you ran across or seen for sale? that pear is certainly my first in the 5 years i've been into fancy colored diamonds...

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I re read your initial post, and realised there were two distinct parts.

1) which do we like

2) which would hold value

I personally like the unmodified blue and orange a lot more than that violet. It still is a bit too gray to my untrained eyes.

As to which would hold value... it is a harder question. The violet argyle material is definitely rarer I think, but that's just one mine in the spotlight for now (albeit the best mine for FCDs), but we cannot reliably predict future valuations. Kenny is probably right in the sense that you should just get whatever you enjoy, and not let the burden of valuation hold you down.

These stones are extremely rare, but also very small. In order to be really good investments I think they need to be the kind of sizes that the truly rich would want to add to their collection - like that ridiculous 8ct purple that Kobe Bryant snagged at 4million. I'm sure it will be worth more, only because at that size, prices just go stratospheric when supply is unable to produce more.

In the rarest gems, price per carat goes up exponentially with size, so at smaller sizes I think the purely investment standpoint should take a backseat to how much the gems make your heart sing when you look at them.

Whichever way you go, it isn't wrong, so just choose the one that will make you happier :) and share lots of photos! Or bring them/it to Kenny!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I greatly appreciate the input - I understand that these diamonds are very tiny and are not real investments. I am merely interested in opinions on, in 30 years' time (excluding serious total upheaval in the market), what would still be holding its own, value-wise. I like the idea of having these stones in addition to my normal superannuation, mutual funds, bonds, etc. The hold on that stone is for me, Kenny, but I think I will pass on it. It is quite gray to me and doesn't particularly thrill me. I shall wait to find an orangy pink to fulfill my Argyle desire, I think. ::)

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
My my... someone's been busy... :Up_to_something: :naughty:

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
OP did you just get the orange and blue? :naughty: :love: :naughty:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I did end up going with my own personal prefernce and got the orange and blue. I know they are microscopic, and probably not as hard to come by as an Argyle violet, but (sight unseen) they were more beautiful to me. :bigsmile: I am currently in the third stage of my honeymoon and am eagerly anticipating picking them up from the hotel front desk any day now. I'll certainly be back to post photos of them, along with their pink sister, when I finally get my grubby hands on them! :devil:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pure blue and pure orange! How cool!
Can't wait to see what you and your friends and family think of them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results