shape
carat
color
clarity

Keepsake amethyst for newborn?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SIL is preggo with her first, and actually the first baby in the family in forever! She''s due in February, and it''s a girl. I was thinking that instead of baby jewelry, I''d like to purchase a gorgeous amethyst for the child with the intent of taking her to have it set in something when she''s old enough (maybe 16?) to take care of a higher quality piece of jewelry? Obviously i have a few months to make the final decision, but I''m wondering what you all think of this idea, and of course I''d love your input as far as where to purchase this potential stone online. My budget for a loose amethyst is $100-$200. TIA!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a great idea. I would get a special box to keep it in as well so it doesn''t get lost. I was given a pearl as a baby but it eventually was lost.
7.gif
My parents weren''t the best about keeping track of such things though!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know a lot about gemstone shopping, but I think it''s SUCH a great idea! She will treasure it, I''m sure, and so look forward to being able to wear it someday.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Layla, those are FANTASTIC looking stones! I looooove concave cuts, you must be a mind-reader. Seriously. I love the idea also of having three stones, those could be used for a solitaire pendant and earrings, or a three stone ring, or a three stone pendant, or...wow. I didn''t expect to find something so perfect in a day''s time, you are such a help! Thank you! Wonder if my SIL will think the cut is strange, though...she''s likely never seen a concave cut stone (they''re in rural southern IN).

Also: the baby is technically "due" February 4th. If what I''ve heard about due dates is correct, that the birth can happen 4 days before to 4 days after, what happens if the baby ends up having a January birth date? I guess at that point I could keep the stones or give them to my aunt who loves amethysts and whose b-day is Valentine''s day...hmmm. Sorry, just thinking out loud here!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 2:29:03 AM
Author: monarch64
OMG Layla, those are FANTASTIC looking stones! I looooove concave cuts, you must be a mind-reader. Seriously. I love the idea also of having three stones, those could be used for a solitaire pendant and earrings, or a three stone ring, or a three stone pendant, or...wow. I didn''t expect to find something so perfect in a day''s time, you are such a help! Thank you! Wonder if my SIL will think the cut is strange, though...she''s likely never seen a concave cut stone (they''re in rural southern IN).

Also: the baby is technically ''due'' February 4th. If what I''ve heard about due dates is correct, that the birth can happen 4 days before to 4 days after, what happens if the baby ends up having a January birth date? I guess at that point I could keep the stones or give them to my aunt who loves amethysts and whose b-day is Valentine''s day...hmmm. Sorry, just thinking out loud here!
I''m glad you liked them! I thought they were a nice find! More than welcome my friend. Anytime. Your aunt will be really pleased with them if the baby does come early. And then we''ll just have to find a lovely red garnet for you to give the baby!!
31.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again Layla, actually it is my SIL whose baby would potentially be receiving these stones (or stone singular) if she is actually born in February, but my own auntie has a Feb. 14th b-day so I would consider giving Her the stones just in case my SIL''s baby happens to be early and born in January.

Every person IRL I''ve presented this idea to is also enthusiastic about it, so I think this is the way to go. My SIL has no idea and I want it to be a complete surprise, she won''t be expecting anything "grand" and I think this will put a huge smile on her face. I think the baby girl will love it as well as she gets older, she will definitely have something special to look forward to as far as setting the stone(s) and wearing the piece(s)! Thanks again everyone, I know I can always count on the PS family to give me great feedback on ideas!

Looking to purchase stones probably in December, so I will certainly post pics in a new thread upon receipt of them!
35.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monnie,

What a wonderful and sweet idea!!! Your little niece then, would always have something special from her Auntie.

Linda

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you get the amethyst trio, Monnie? I think that was a super find by Gypsy. I bought myself a suit(e?) of amethysts to celebrate the birth of my Feb baby (even though he''s a boy) and it turns out he loves purple and wants to wear my pendant all the time. It''s a wonderful gift to give and receive.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, I think that''s a great idea. What a nice aunt you are! I love amethysts and I am actually wearing my set today. Your new niece will be so lucky to have you as an aunt!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a great idea, too. My son is a Feb. baby and I''ve been looking for a ring or pendant with amethyst. I''ve never seen that concave cut. I wish they showed more images of it. Anyway, I think it would be a very lovely keepsake. Be sure to post pics if you do it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2007 5:14:50 PM
Author: Catmom
Monnie, I think that's a great idea. What a nice aunt you are! I love amethysts and I am actually wearing my set today. Your new niece will be so lucky to have you as an aunt!
I agree; your new niece is a lucky gal to have you as an aunt! I love your idea!!!

My aunt did something similiar and it means so much to me to this day!!!
12.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I haven''t taken the plunge yet and purchased anything. I am somewhat worried that the baby will come before her expected due date of Feb. 4th...this is my SIL''s first pregnancy, she''s very slim-hipped, and has had some female/reproductive issues in the past, so I''m worried that either she''ll be induced early or will be a c-section candidate early, not that I know that much about pregnancies since I''ve not been through it myself...BUT. The only thing in life I''m superstitious about are pregnancy-related, seen too many friends go through heartaches, etc. Since the potential dd is the very beginning of Feb. I am hesitatant at this point to go through with a purchase, if that makes sense. Haven''t checked into Gary''s return policy yet, but just guessing I figure that buying stones 3+ months out would be pushing it at the very least if I had to return something.

Anywho, my thoughts tonight are leaning toward buying something once the baby is born, with the same intent. I.E., buying the actual birthstone (whether it is garnet, amythyst, god forbid a citrine or Dec. stone), and proceeding from there. Am I crazy or too superstitious? SIL had a bit of a scare a few weeks ago when she got a false positive from a test that said the baby had Down''s Syndrome...turned out to be false but was a horrible week for all involved...my mom didn''t even tell me about it until after they found out it was false.

I swear I am like the PS girl who cries wolf...it seems like every major purchase I make I start second-guessing it to death after I really think about it or research it. So sorry, I get a little impulsive but then think harder about something and pull away--it''s not that I''m afraid to commit (I''m married for 4 years, lol!) but I don''t want to screw anything up, I guess. I''m going to give myself this next week to let the inclination to buy these stones simmer on the back burner of my brain and then make the decision to buy or not next weekend. I need to talk to my mom again about SIL''s preg. situation and get her feedback on what''s going on (SIL and I are close enough but I don''t want to pressure her or offend her or jinx her by asking specific questions re. this topic, plus I want it to be a wonderful surprise), so I will factor in mom''s thoughts to my decision.

Thanks for all your helpful comments! Hope to be back next weekend and inform you all that I''ve made a purchase, or not!
35.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a good idea to wait. Of course I''m superstitious myself. But I too would wait until the baby is born, Monnie. It''s only a click away, and you know we''ll help you find a nice stone ASAP, whether its a garnet for a late Januaray brithday or an Amethyst for a early Feb baby (I refuse to consider anything else). I think it''s a lovely idea, and that waiting is just the right thing to do.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well only 11% of first pregnancies go early....unfortunately. Haha! I think it is a wonderful idea and would be thrilled if my baby got a gift like that. You are such a nice aunt!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gypsy and Tacori! Gypsy, I spoke with my mom today and she also agreed that waiting til the baby is born is probably the best thing to do. She told me to focus on the baby shower we''re having for her in the meantime so I have an outlet for my excitement, lol!

Tacori, sounds like you are READY to meet your little one right now! I can''t wait for yours to be born either...and if I was your baby''s auntie I would do the same for him/her! (I can''t remember if the baby''s sex is a surprise or not...think it is, though.)
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2007 10:57:46 PM
Author: monarch64
Tacori, sounds like you are READY to meet your little one right now! I can''t wait for yours to be born either...and if I was your baby''s auntie I would do the same for him/her! (I can''t remember if the baby''s sex is a surprise or not...think it is, though.)
35.gif

It''s a surprise. I am close but feel so far! Haha! Talk of induction happened today if I go over. How sad I thought opal or citrine....which is a better birthstone??!?
27.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Citrine Tacori. But a healthy mom and baby are more important than both. Lots of fairy dust your way!
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2007 10:35:25 PM
Author: Gypsy
Citrine Tacori. But a healthy mom and baby are more important than both. Lots of fairy dust your way!
35.gif

Haha, you are right. But my due date is so late it is possible to have a nov. birth. But that would mean less time with my own mommy and that is not good. She can only stay until Nov 4th.
15.gif
I am sending you fairy dust for your setting!

Monnie, I forgot to mention. Ella posted pics of her fab shower with a cool website to buy all sorts of cute shower stuff. You gotta check it out!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori, thanks for the info on your pg and the pg thread, I am going to go check it out tonight!

I''m in favor of citrine over opal, btw...opals are so beautiful but so darn fragile!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am in favour of opals over citrine only because if its fragility. Sorry Tacori... Maybe, we can find an alternative October birthstone.
21.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It looks like Tourmaline is an alternative birthstone for October. And, if you don''t like tourmaline, here''s a site with a few more options.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2007 11:11:56 AM
Author: Kismet
It looks like Tourmaline is an alternative birthstone for October. And, if you don''t like tourmaline, here''s a site with a few more options.

I could do tourmaline! Hopefully I won''t have much choice in the matter anyways...tick tock.....

Mon, sorry to have taken over your thread! Regardless on if she goes early (and you go with garnet) or not it is such a sweet, thoughtful gift. I love 16 as the birthday of choice. I vote on the "sweet pea" theme. So cute! One of mine was the "modern mom" theme. They sell the balloon on there. The one with the girl and the umbrella but my SIL got all the stuff from Target. It was really cute too. Be sure to post pics after her shower.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I love my opal birthstone! I have lots of options on colors, fire, etc. The only downside is you really gotta take care of them, sometimes I''m forgetful!! I''ve never had one damaged, though. I still have my first opal necklace. My dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was 9. It''s all white with just a teeeny bt of fire. But, now I''m jumping on the pink stones. I know they use tourmaline a lot for a replacement, but I am also choosing to use pink sapphire. It''s my birthday, I''ll use what I want!

Good Luck, Tacori!!

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys,
Must share this with u guys since we''re on the topic of newborn.

My daughter was born on the 9th of this month. My first gift for her was a pink sapphire tennis bracelet, Can be use as an anklet when young and as a bracelet when she reached adulthood.

Added a lill bell to it so when she walks it will tinker.

Cheers,
Ryan

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2007 11:09:28 PM
Author: Sasori
Hi guys,
Must share this with u guys since we''re on the topic of newborn.

My daughter was born on the 9th of this month. My first gift for her was a pink sapphire tennis bracelet, Can be use as an anklet when young and as a bracelet when she reached adulthood.

Added a lill bell to it so when she walks it will tinker.

Cheers,
Ryan
Aw, that''s so sweet adding a little bell to the bracelet for her so it will tinkle when she walks! You could nickname her "Tinkerbell," right?!!! Adorable!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my culture, it is tradition to gift the baby with gold anklets/bracelets with bells. As they start to crawl and walk, you will always know where the baby is.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results