shape
carat
color
clarity

keep or return?

icpa1

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

So I bought this ring from eBay about 2 weeks ago. According to the seller, it has the following specs (approx.):

Center stone: .50 ct. OEC, SI1 clarity, G-H color
1st/inner set of side stones: 2 x .10 ct. marquise diamonds, SI1 clarity, G color
2nd/outer set side stones: 2 x .03 ct. transitionals, SI1 clarity, G color
Setting: 900 platinum 100 iridium

My concern is that I noticed a chip on one of the transitional side stones this morning:

My heart sank when I saw the chip. ;( I was really starting to love this ring.

While the chip isn't big, I can see it even without a loupe. It helps somewhat that it is an "outer" sidestone so I find that my eye isn't drawn to it all the time. But now I know that it's there...I don't know.

I just wanted to ask your opinion/advice about what I should do.

Does the chip look terrible? Is it likely to get bigger?

If you were me, would you keep the ring and ask for a partial refund from the seller? Or would you return the ring?

About the center stone - while it doesn't have the best facet pattern under the table (I have a smaller OEC/transitional with a much prettier pattern), it has a high crown, small table and is very sparkly (or, at least, sparkly enough for me).

Will appreciate everyone's input!

_1337.jpg

chip_2.jpg

_1338.jpg

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
It's a pretty ring. Not sure what you paid for it but that would be my deciding factor. If you got a great deal, keep it. After a while, it may not bother you as much. I bought a vintage ring 14K and there were a few flea bites I noticed under 10x loupe. But I only paid $100, so I decided to keep it. But if I paid a lot more for it and the chips were not disclosed to me, I would point that out to the seller. If you want a partial or a whole refund, then I would make that clear. The only thing that might be an issue for you, is that it's two weeks later and if you didn't mention it upon receipt. It may be a case of you against them. Honestly, I think is beautiful and the chip doesn't look like it would pose a problem in the future. Good luck and congrats on your ring :)

icpa1

Rough_Rock
CharmedOne|1350362874|3286218 said:
It's a pretty ring. Not sure what you paid for it but that would be my deciding factor. If you got a great deal, keep it. After a while, it may not bother you as much. I bought a vintage ring 14K and there were a few flea bites I noticed under 10x loupe. But I only paid $100, so I decided to keep it. But if I paid a lot more for it and the chips were not disclosed to me, I would point that out to the seller. If you want a partial or a whole refund, then I would make that clear. The only thing that might be an issue for you, is that it's two weeks later and if you didn't mention it upon receipt. It may be a case of you against them. Honestly, I think is beautiful and the chip doesn't look like it would pose a problem in the future. Good luck and congrats on your ring :)

Thanks for your advice, CharmedOne! I paid $700 for it. I have a 30-day inspection period so I can still return it. Am sending the seller an message right now to inform her of the chip. In case she agrees to a partial refund, what is a reasonable price to accept?

Thanks!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Yesssssssssssss!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly you got a great deal. So you just have to decide what would be a compromise for you but it's a beautiful rings and the price is pretty good. I've seen a half of carat solitaire vintage ring go for up to $1000 alone. This time of year is big for eBay. A lot of people are buying engagement rings for Christmas and it truly is a great find.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get 10% back and put it towards replacing that little diamond, since it bothers you.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1350398318|3286344 said:
Get 10% back and put it towards replacing that little diamond, since it bothers you.

My first thought was to replace the little diamond, but motownmama took it a step further - good idea!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea! It's a good thing you bought from a seller that takes returns. I would see if you can get the 10% off and replace the stone.

Would you mind sharing the seller info? I would love to check out their other pieces.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I'd be tempted to keep it, if I paid what I thought was a bargain or a very fair price for what I expected I was buying. If it is not as represented (which you could argue that this one particular diamond is not - and assuming it was not in the listing as chipped??) then I would contact the seller to see if you could agree on a price reduction. If not, you could return it - if you are prepared to return it. You could ask for a 10% reduction... or you could ask for a 15% reduction and see how that goes.

Worst case scenario they refuse a price adjustment. Then you are back to the dilemma ---- keep or return? No harm in asking for a discount....

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Is it actualy a chip or is is an indented natural?

If it's an indented natural it probably won't get worse.

If it were me -I'd probably keep it if it wan't visible to the naked eye - as long as the rest of the peice makes you happy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do tables get pitted like that through normal wear and tear? It seems an unlikely location to get damaged. Often it is the girdle or facet junction where it stick out the most and/or is pointy and thin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results