Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep or return? 35/40.8

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Last question! I truly appreciate all I’ve learned from this group, these past few weeks.

I was originally concerned about clarity and transparency (no longer worried about either), but now I’ve been reading that 35/40.8 can be a train wreck due to light leakage and rounding by GIA. I had no idea! I have an IS image. Do I need to purchase an ASET tool as well?

My deadline is 3/24 and I am trying to make absolutely certain that this diamond doesn’t have any major issues.

I will attach the IS here again and a couple photos.

3830A0BE-C764-4C6F-93B2-58E6CE458DA2.png BBF337D1-7988-467F-9B7E-700EF7FE2CE5.jpeg D0730D10-1356-4188-BBCB-050B09276BBD.jpeg

Attachments

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Good enough! I’m content that it doesn’t have the leakage that is sometimes an issue with 35/40.8. Thank you Karl and lovedogs. I appreciate you taking a look!

Tayberry

Rough_Rock
Love the classic two tone setting, do you mind adding profile shots and any stacking options?

mx5_dvr

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert on diamond but I start to think it's more psychological than practical in terms of slight light leak, if any, on 35/40.8 combination. I suspect one cannot tell the difference from daily wear.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Love the classic two tone setting, do you mind adding profile shots and any stacking options?

Thanks! Here are a couple profile shots. I don’t plan to stack any additional rings but it would definitely be doable. The solitaire shank is 1.9mm and the band is 2mm. It’s super simple and set low.

0F9934B2-DAD4-4F28-B08A-FBAD2578FBD1.jpeg

Attachments

Tayberry

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Here are a couple profile shots. I don’t plan to stack any additional rings but it would definitely be doable. The solitaire shank is 1.9mm and the band is 2mm. It’s super simple and set low.

0F9934B2-DAD4-4F28-B08A-FBAD2578FBD1.jpeg

Wow, I love it even more, the setting looks so well constructed. The difference in band and solitaire width are just right.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks great. I personally prefer 35/40.8 look over a 35/40.6 even if the IS is more 'perfect'and saturated in the latter.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Looks great. I personally prefer 35/40.8 look over a 35/40.6 even if the IS is more 'perfect'and saturated in the latter.

Interesting! What differences do you notice? I’d love to hear your thoughts. I had no idea that 35/40.8 was a risky combo until today. I’m learning so much on here.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
35/40.8 are perfectly matched numbers, but they are averages. If you have a wide range of crowns and pavilions and on top of this, GIA rounding, you might end up with a diamond where the 35/40.8 is far from what is actually happening on the diamond. A decent IS image like you have alleviates all that concern, so once you have a good reflector image, you no longer should have concerns that the 35/40.8 will be an issue.

A steeper pavilion has a different personality to a shallower one, very subtle and not much in it in all honesty.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
35/40.8 are perfectly matched numbers, but they are averages. If you have a wide range of crowns and pavilions and on top of this, GIA rounding, you might end up with a diamond where the 35/40.8 is far from what is actually happening on the diamond. A decent IS image like you have alleviates all that concern, so once you have a good reflector image, you no longer should have concerns that the 35/40.8 will be an issue.

A steeper pavilion has a different personality to a shallower one, very subtle and not much in it in all honesty.

This is all very interesting to me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I rarely look at MRB related posts as I'm not a fan nor expert, but your stone is actually eye-catchingly lovely! I'd keep it if you're happy. I have a lot of included beauties so an SI1 wouldn't faze me. Enjoy it!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Actress Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco's Wedding
    Actress Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco's Wedding
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.