shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep or Return 1.01 Radiant. Please help!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I posted about a week ago regarding my search for a Radiant and with the great help of JulieN (hopefully she sees this post!!) I finally received it in the mail.

I have a 30day return policy with B2C Jewels (will post a review on them later, but so far had a great experience. will write a comprehensive review once i decide to keep/return this diamond).

Here are the specs and GIA report. This was ~$3685.

Ct: 1.01
Color:H
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 70.4
Table:57
Symmetry&Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Thick
Cutlet: None
Flourescence: None
Measurements: 5.80x5.79x4.08

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2151209367

The diamond looked eye clean and very symmetrical in terms of shape and brilliance/faceting(?) which I really like, since radiants can have so much variety.

Here are some attached pictures from my phone camera. Very amateur and not optimal lighting :( I am trying to figure out how to post a video if that would help people with input. I only have a Idealscope provided by B2C since they do not provide ASET imaging. I am aware of some light leakage on the edges of the diamond (I think?) but am not concerned since I am looking to place it in a halo.

From my amateur pictures does anyone see anything that might raise a red flag? Especially for the price I paid? I do think it MIGHT look a little dark on the inside when looking at it face-on, but from the sides, the diamond looks really transparent and clean. But for radiants is it normal to look a bit darker face-on?

If you would like me to try another picture from a different angle, please let me know and I will try to figure it out.

20131202_114810.jpg

20131202_112042_richtone_hdr_.jpg

20131202_111904.jpg

3823299d.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're back! This cut should have more contrast than most crushed ice style radiants that you see, this might be the "darkness" you are referring to. have you been able to compare it to any other stones in jewelry stores? it looks pretty in the first two shots with the light on it.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
JulieN|1386023238|3566284 said:
You're back! This cut should have more contrast than most crushed ice style radiants that you see, this might be the "darkness" you are referring to. have you been able to compare it to any other stones in jewelry stores? it looks pretty in the first two shots with the light on it.

I am back! I'm so glad you are able to see it since I knew you were curious1

I think you're right about the contrast creating the black patches I see ie. the bigger symmetrical faceting (I never know if I'm using "facet" correctly) is different from tiny crushed ice type of pieces of other radiants.

I'm going to a jeweler on Wed, but even the last time I went, his selection of radiants was not that great so hopefully I can do some comparison.

I think it's pretty too :love: I'm loving it more and more but trying not to get attached in case the jeweler points something out that I can't see.

Anything that sticks out to you from the pictures that might be concerning? Thank you so much JulieN!!

I'm hoping other radiant owners/experts will share their input as well.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Actually I need to correct the price from my first post. It was ~$3574 after the PS discount and choosing wire transfer method!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a huge radiant fan, and certainly NOT an expert, but I think this is a beautiful stone. It's the 'crushed ice' that turns me off these stones usually, but this one has a very pleasing faceting pattern to me (personally). I think it will look lovely in a halo.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
JulieN: I think you're right. And if not exactly a Flander's it is EXTREMELY similar. Wow how did you dig up that post from 2007!

JustGinger: Thank you so much for taking the time to post and your honesty! My SO is giving my full control over this ring (besides budget) and I *know* what I want, but also feel so insecure with such high-price decisions. Knowing that you think it's pretty makes me feel a lot more confident!

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
gosh, I would hate to sell to pricescope members , they are very fussy lot
it looks like a well cut radiant to me

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I really like it.

How does it handle full sun?

AL12

Shiny_Rock
treasurehunter: HAHA. I'm sure my SO will agree with you. Like they say, ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power...this forum has given me nothing but knowledge. I try to be an educated consumer for high value items. Thank you for your input!

Davi: Immediately (and nervously) took my diamond out to play once I saw your post. Unfortunately it has been sunny intermittent with clouds where I am right now. I think it performs "okay"? I think this cut gives off more smaller glittery reflections versus huge flashes. I think it's okay but not 100% sure what I should be looking for. I attached two pictures for you and one in very dark light with a lamp shining right behind it. Thank you for your idea and input!

20131203_105420.jpg

2013-12-03_11.jpg

2013-12-03_0.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're not going to see large reflections in sunlight because your pupils are too constricted.

It looks great and if you want bigger flashes you probably need to go antique cushion. But you won't get a 1 ct H SI1 antique cushion for 3500

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert...but I love the cut on the diamond. Very pretty!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is a beautiful example if its kind! I like it a lot and i think you will get much more visual interest from a stone with this faceting than from a more traditional radiant or a princess (other square shapes). I like it a lot!

ETA: It goes darker when you look at it head on because your head obstructs the light and the diamond reflects your shadow or dark hari (if you have dark hair).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1386051494|3566522 said:

I agree!

I was thinking it sort of looked like a square H&A with thinner arrows, but the Flanders is a better fit. Either way, great find Julie and AL12, it's a lovely stone for a great price.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang, unless told, I would have never guessed it is a radiant. Very nice facet pattern and looks like a pretty diamond overall.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Not an expert, but I think it's a keeper & a great find! I've looked thru the radiant section on JA for diamonds cut like yours for a possible three stone and they're hard to find. You have a very nice diamond.
One issue you should be aware of, when you bring it to the jeweler maybe don't mention that you bought it online. It's a touchy subject with B & M stores and they may find things "wrong" with it so you'll return it and buy from them.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input so far! It's really building my confidence that other people also view it as visually pleasing. I didn't know I would be so insecure about it!

JulieN: Large flashes are nice but definitely not necessary for me as long as I have some sort of sparkle. Antique cushions are gorgeous in their own right, but I'm still riding this Radiant train. Thanks for the link! I remember looking at it while doing my research a few weeks back. From all the comments, you were right on when you said this diamond was a "special" kind of radiant. Also, thanks for the pupil info, never thought of that!

Mayk: Thank you for sharing! :)

DreamerD: I hope so! I realize as I keep looking at radiants, that not much fit this faceting pattern. Flanders is a very good description of it though. I *tried* not the block the sunlight with my head, by turning my body and phone every which way but who knows?

Chrono: I think that's a good thing...thank you!

Woofmama: Thank you! This purchase would have never happened without the help of the forum and JulieN!! Also thanks for the advice about B&M's. I'm definitely a lot more confident about this diamond and if they say anything I will just nod my head politely.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that diamond is VERY pretty. I love the cut corners!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's beautiful!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
distracts: thank you!

JulieN: yes, i have gone through all of his radiant videos and even some other ones. i really appreciate his eye. i actually was in contact with them but decided to go with your b2c find.

agt: that would definitely be nice, but i don't have the resource for that at the moment :/

Laila619: thank you so much for sharing!

Sorry for the late replies, was a busy day meeting the jeweler and discussing various options including setting of course. I spent a good 45 minutes to an hour staring and debating between the first radiant he showed me (remember from my first post JulieN?) and this current one. It is hard because they are SO different. Him as well as a neighboring jeweler both mentioned that they had NEVER seen this shape before. Best described as similar to a round brilliant but in a square shape. I mentioned Flanders but was met with blank stares.

Thank you again woofmama for informing me that the B&M would favor their diamond over mine. His radiant is an 1.01/E/SI2 and the E next to my H makes a significant difference side by side. They also mentioned my probable low re-sale value due to the uniqueness of my cut (which I am okay with, I now love that is it unique).

I felt torn because the first radiant was something that drew me to that shape to begin with, but the one I'm holding is so unique and pretty in its own right that I don't know if I will come across something like this again.

After the hour of pulling hairs, I decided to go with mine..but he did give my a 5-7 day window to change my mind. I could tell he wanted me to go with his and was very respectful but kept having me re-visit his.

Setting is another story for probably another post.

Here is a pretty whatever picture of the two side by side. The color difference is notable, but honestly color didn't matter to me as much as what TYPE of sparkle I wanted.

20131204_130929.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, always a fun time at the local B&M jewelry store :wacko:

IMO, that shot with the two side by side, no contest. The one on the left is quite leaky. If you look at the white paper, I think I can see white reflections above the left radiant behind the stone. BTW back in the day when GOG was still selling Flanders, a radiant like the one you have would have cost a lot more, but you got it for the price of a generic radiant. But what it comes down to is the type of character and personality that you want in your stone.

leoshraeder

Rough_Rock
Looks like a really nice stone!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
leoshraeder: thank you! i really appreciate everyone taking the time to give their input!

JulieN: you always say something to give me more assurance and i know you have the knowledge to back it up! thanks for the GOG history and you ARE right, at this point it really comes down to personal preference...and i just keep asking myself, "which one will i not regret when looking back?" i feel as if nice radiants are not a dime a dozen, but can be found...but the one i have seems pretty special. hmmm, i posted two more photos for you from different angles. i can't tell if it's leaky, or if it's reflection from the overhead lights...and it seems as if my stone might be doing the same thing in one picture? (i do know the edges are leaky but am ok with that) let me know if these two photos give you more insight.

2013-12-04_22.jpg

2013-12-04_0.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure the one on the left is a radiant, with cut corners? rounded corners makes it a cushion. the little sparkle reflections on the paper are reflections from the diamonds. You know the one on the left is leaky because the one on the right goes dark in spotlighting but the other one looks whiter.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
JulieN: INTERESTING. so correct me if i'm wrong-->the left stone seems whiter (in spotlighting) because the light as passing through it and not because it is a E color? also a side note, in natural daylight i did like how "my" stone performed over the other one, although both were very pretty. as for it being a radiant, GIA labels it as a round-cornered rectangular modified brilliant? (GIA:1158532211)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA doesn't call anything a "radiant," it is usually cut cornered rectangular modified brilliant, or something like that. GIA doesn't call this one a cushion, though they do use the name cushion. It is kind of a mutt radiant/cushion, I guess.

You can watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O7H8E_MYRM

At 18.00 it switches from diffuse to spotlighting, and you can see the better diamond go dark while the leaky one looks lighter. Then at 20:30 Jon uses the same leaky diamond but compares it to a H&A cushion, which you can see is very dark in comparison. I think I can see that the E has less color, but that is a separate thing. Yes, lower color stones do look a little darker, but this much difference is not due to color.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
JulieN: you are awesome!! Sorry for typos im on my phone and about to sleep. I'm going to have to watch and rewatch these gog videos. They did show me the color difference first from flipping the diamonds upside down, and afterwards kept harping on the fact that the E was so much whiter. I also asked the neighboring jeweler if he felt mine was darker due to it being an H or based on faceting pattern and he said because it was H. I didnt think of leakiness at all! After seeing how "dark" the hearts and arrows looks under soptlighting I feel so much better! Maybe color secretly was an issue for me? I'm going to sleep with much less on my mind after your last post :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results