shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep it or send it back - Afghan tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then there's the stones that are saturated and glowing. This pic was taken in a very dim room. One of my favs. Terrible cutting, and it's included, but the color is radioactive, at least to me. No grey modifiers, no extinction (that's just a camera shadow on the stone), and nice saturation.

glowing_tourm.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 9:46:58 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It''s too dark for me. I also have a secondary hue color methodology I go by when purchasing when colored stones. This is my taste, and does not necessarily mean that you have the same taste. You may like these secondary hues. If a stone has a primary hue of red/pink, I try to avoid brown secondary hues in the stone. If the primary hue is blue, I try to avoid grey secondary hues. If the primary hue is green, I try to avoid an olive secondary hue. I totally avoid yellow as a primary color unless it''s a diamond. I''m not a lover of yellow stones, but I know many people adore them.
TL you and I must be twins! You have expressed my preferences EXACTLY! By way of an example, I hate Rubellite that has even a hint of brown in incandescent light, blue sapphires/tanzanites with a grey secondary hue etc etc!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooops wrong thread.

cup_of_t

Rough_Rock
gosh, i can''t believe i missed this thread!

tourmaline lover, i love that green ring of yours, the colour is beautiful! the other little one was quite olive - which is something that i quite like although you mentioned you didnt - and probably would have been lovely in the right setting but if you were unsure you were quite right to send it back (and buy another one instead!)

i love the last little one you posted, neon is right - it really glows, its beautiful. are you going to have it mounted it any time soon?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say that the stone itself was not a bad stone. If you like olive in your greens, then you would LOVE it, and the cutting was exceptional. I think many people would think this stone was an emerald in some lighting, and it looked very nice in my white gold setting. However, I''m just not one for an olive hue in green stones. I''m very sensitive to olive hues in a stone. I often see them there where other people cannot see these hues. If you were to see this stone in person, you might not see it there. Any touch of olive, and it ruins the stone for me. I''m still on a quest to find the perfect peridot because of this, and I doubt I''ll ever find it!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2008 4:58:47 AM
Author: cup_of_t
gosh, i can't believe i missed this thread!

tourmaline lover, i love that green ring of yours, the colour is beautiful! the other little one was quite olive - which is something that i quite like although you mentioned you didnt - and probably would have been lovely in the right setting but if you were unsure you were quite right to send it back (and buy another one instead!)

i love the last little one you posted, neon is right - it really glows, its beautiful. are you going to have it mounted it any time soon?
You mean this one? I had it mounted in this setting a long time ago.

emerald_cuprian.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I believe there''s a super green peridot on LembeckGems. Very drool worthy of a good size if you ignore the pricetag. No olive to my eyes.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2008 10:29:02 PM
Author: Chrono
TL,
I believe there's a super green peridot on LembeckGems. Very drool worthy of a good size if you ignore the pricetag. No olive to my eyes.
Thanks Chrono!
I've actually seen some fine green peridot, but it was always sold, and with decent pricetags as well. I think I'm going to start a new thread on hues of gems. This discussion has gotten way off topic. BTW, I promptly received my refund for the stone and the dealer is extremely reputable and I hope he has something else that suits my fancy one of these days
emsmile.gif

ETA: I didn't see any peridot on his website, maybe it just sold !! Ha!!

cup_of_t

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 8:19:18 PM

beautiful! it really is a pretty colour

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2008 3:51:10 PM

Date: 12/7/2008 8:19:18 PM

beautiful! it really is a pretty colour

Thanks, I see you are with Tiffany & Co. This stone actually reminds me a lot of the color of the blue boxes.
31.gif

cup_of_t

Rough_Rock
yes i guess it does a little, doesn''t it!

it''s not quite the right tone/colour but in that photo its glowing and it reminds me of a paraiba that Theo Fennell had earlier in the year (for a mere .5mil) but it was stunning, i kept walking past with my nose to the glass, drooling!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well thank you very much!! As a collector of tourmalines (hence my name), I love the neon stones!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results