• Yes

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all! Dk made me this platinum collet ring set with an AVC. I love the setting but not sure if I should keep the antiquing.
Here’s an after and before. I’ll also include my inspiration pics and hand shots (please forgive the red knuckle), of course, I had to try it on with allllll the bands. :lol: love the Cartier trinity with it the best. ;-)
Strangely the antiquing, done lightly as per dk, seems to get darker and lighter in different lighting. Sometimes I really like it, at other times...meh. I really wanted to have something different than my usual platinum bezel.
Also, dk has graciously offered to remove it easily at any time so wondering if I should live with it before making a decision.
Thanks for any suggestions.

136A988D-C885-410A-9912-12AA972AD058.jpeg 623E7041-ACEE-4C40-9906-00986798F4E5.jpeg
DD823588-B9A6-4447-AA49-837366B1AE11.jpeg

Inspiration
C1C7D163-EFF2-4D78-ACA6-162F2DB05F39.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really lovely!
I’m all for multiple personalities like this, in different lightings.
My vote is to keep it, and since you aren’t immediately wowed - knowing you can always remove it later - take DK up in the offer later on if you want the change.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Rfisher for your amazingly helpful comment!! I may soon love that multiple personality aspect too!! Thanks for weighing in! Love your collection!!!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I think @Rfisher is spot on. Take some time to live with it, and get a feel for it, and you have the offer from DK if you eventually decide the look isn't what you want.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Keep it.

You can also use a polishing cloth and remove some if it yourself. It actually works and while it doesn't remove all of it, it softens it. The polishing cloths with the built in compound work especially well for this. Not that I'd know...

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep it.

You can also use a polishing cloth and remove some if it yourself. It actually works and while it doesn't remove all of it, it softens it. The polishing cloths with the built in compound work especially well for this. Not that I'd know...

Omgoodness thank you so much for weighing in!! You’re so funny and a mind reader to boot!!! I wondered if I could lighten it some. But I am afraid of the darker spots I won’t be able to reach.
I do think it is growing on me. I really wanted to try this as I had been pining for a while. I think I will give it time.
Do you know, will it soften on it’s own over time?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like it and think it gives depth to the ring. You can’t go wrong by living with it for a while and if you don’t like it, you can always remove it later.

I prefer it without the antiquing personally, but I’m generally not a fan of matte/patina/anything other than high-polish finish. That being said, since DK has offered to remove it at any time, I think wearing it for a few months and taking an educated decision is the best way forward!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @YadaYadaYada I agree it gives it depth and I also dig the ‘edginess’ and uniqueness it has this way. I think because it’s out of my wheelhouse, it feels a little striking to me. I do think it’s growing on me. :)

Thanks @AllAboardTheBlingTrain I agree that dk’s offer makes it easy to live with it knowing at any time I can remove it. I always do platinum bezels and needed a change up! :lol:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
PXL_20210219_161352415 (2021-02-19T16_01_10.285).jpg

Before I polished off some of the patina above.

After I lightly polished off some patina.

The patina is still there but I took the harshness off. The patina does wear and fade over time, but also the surrounding metal also gets a little bit more banged up so everything melds a little better.

PXL_20210219_190322549 (2021-02-19T15_52_16.516).jpg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! @elizat My goodness! Such deliciousness! I love your ring so so very much! 4E82060A-A8B7-4ADC-825B-A973EA0C3BD2.gif
I thank you for sharing the pictures too because what a huge difference!! I love the after!! Yes!!!! It’s much more subtle and romantic and....just perfect! Thank you!! You’ve given me back my antique mojo! 96F249C3-2584-498C-A280-CF024D147082.gif

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Oh! @elizat My goodness! Such deliciousness! I love your ring so so very much! 4E82060A-A8B7-4ADC-825B-A973EA0C3BD2.gif
I thank you for sharing the pictures too because what a huge difference!! I love the after!! Yes!!!! It’s much more subtle and romantic and....just perfect! Thank you!! You’ve given me back my antique mojo! 96F249C3-2584-498C-A280-CF024D147082.gif

Glad it helped. I think that antiquing on designs like that works very well because the harshness of the shiny metal doesn't really go with the style of the setting. However, if you have too much of it it can be overwhelming. I was reticent to do the removal with the polishing cloth but it's hard to take too much honestly, because it's not like polishing tarnish off. You just have to go slowly and see how it works. That setting is by far the most expensive setting I own and I was concerned about messing it up, but then I reminded myself that they could reapply the antiquing or remove an entirely if I didn't like what I had done. Luckily, I did like it and it just took the edge off. I think that you will like the finishing on your ring better if you take the edge off to make it a little bit softer!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the antiquing! It looks amazing! It will settle in and not look as antiqued pretty soon (which I prefer). I find the old cut stones really shine like this. Beautiful setting and stone as always.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat good to know and remember that it can always be reapplied if I were to take my polish cloth to it. I just went out for some things and I must admit...it’s growing on me. And I’m sure the softer it gets the more comfortable I’ll be with it. Thanks again for your expertise. And your experimenting!! :)
I also think you are right that the antiquing softens the metal collet from being too overwhelming.

@HS4S_2 hi! Thanks so much. It is growing on me. I look forward to it softening up a bit I think. Thank you so much for weighing in. You know I love your taste!!! And your new band is no different!! Hope fam is well!! ❤️

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Total personal preference but I prefer it without.

teddycake

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Dk made me this platinum collet ring set with an AVC. I love the setting but not sure if I should keep the antiquing.
Here’s an after and before. I’ll also include my inspiration pics and hand shots (please forgive the red knuckle), of course, I had to try it on with allllll the bands. :lol: love the Cartier trinity with it the best. ;-)
Strangely the antiquing, done lightly as per dk, seems to get darker and lighter in different lighting. Sometimes I really like it, at other times...meh. I really wanted to have something different than my usual platinum bezel.
Also, dk has graciously offered to remove it easily at any time so wondering if I should live with it before making a decision.
Thanks for any suggestions.

136A988D-C885-410A-9912-12AA972AD058.jpeg 623E7041-ACEE-4C40-9906-00986798F4E5.jpeg
DD823588-B9A6-4447-AA49-837366B1AE11.jpeg

Inspiration
C1C7D163-EFF2-4D78-ACA6-162F2DB05F39.png

I voted yes but just want to say...an emphatic YES to the antiquing, but that's because I love it! I've seen the antiquing from Shan Adams Jewelry on Etsy, and I love how the antiquing gives it a really pop, a unique look. Super cool and eye catching IMO.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted yes but just want to say...an emphatic YES to the antiquing, but that's because I love it! I've seen the antiquing from Shan Adams Jewelry on Etsy, and I love how the antiquing gives it a really pop, a unique look. Super cool and eye catching IMO.

Omgoodness. Thank you so much for opining!! You just made my night! I have been living with it for a week, and like the libra that I am, I am still undecided!
Sometimes I love the edginess and uniqueness and then other times I question myself about it....
Kind of like that thread in hangout today about being embarrassed about your bling. This certainly catches eyes... but I am trying to embrace it!!
Thanks so much again!!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
PXL_20210219_161352415 (2021-02-19T16_01_10.285).jpg

Before I polished off some of the patina above.

After I lightly polished off some patina.

The patina is still there but I took the harshness off. The patina does wear and fade over time, but also the surrounding metal also gets a little bit more banged up so everything melds a little better.

PXL_20210219_190322549 (2021-02-19T15_52_16.516).jpg

@elizat yes this thread is old but I was wondering about it bc I got some antiquing on something and it's also too dark for me. How much elbow grease are you applying here? Were using a sunshine cloth? Just curious bc I also want to attempt to lighten mine.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@elizat yes this thread is old but I was wondering about it bc I got some antiquing on something and it's also too dark for me. How much elbow grease are you applying here? Were using a sunshine cloth? Just curious bc I also want to attempt to lighten mine.

Just a sunshine cloth and probably 5 times. I went slow!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results