shape
carat
color
clarity

'Kashmir - like’ sapphires from Madagascar

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that's sad it's destroying the environment. They are magnificent colours having said that. And have large price tags so I'm told.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love sapphires, but I love animals more. I'd rather have the lemurs around. I can't even bring myself to read the second article. : (

I've seen lemurs live, so helplessly cut. That really is a pity. Must everything have a downside?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stones but tragic for Madagascar.

BTW, I'm into guitars.
Madagascar is currently the victim of rampant illegal logging of precious and rare Madagascar Rosewood trees.
99+% of it is used to make furniture for China but a tiny bit also is used to make the back and sides of guitars.

Brazilian Rosewood is considered the best but Brazil banned exports back in the 1960s.
The second best type of rosewood is widely considered to be Madagascar Rosewood.
You can buy a new Martin guitar with Indian Rosewood (still relatively abundant) for under $3,000.
The only guitar Martin offers on its website with Brazilian (certified as legally harvested & pre-ban) is $60,000.
Such is the insanity when something rare is cherished.

With so much money at stake, so much poverty, corruption and political instability in Madagascar, I'm afraid there's no hope of stopping this illegal mining and logging.
People just want these nice things.

Last edited:
It looked hopeless for a while, but recently some very promising 'supply-chain-control' projects have been taking hold, there is a special name for that, you can even study it but I forgot the name, like the control they have long implemented for food or medicine, where each end-product can be traced back to its origin. With cheap DNA testing it is even enforceable. Anybody know what it is called?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results