carat
color
clarity

K color in a halo?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

What do you think of a K color antique stone in a halo? I know someone who is selling her cushion, but it's a GIA certified 'K' color (no fluor). The stone is about 6.3 mm if that makes a difference. Since I am a halo lover, I would probably put it in a vintage style halo with milgrain. Would the color contrast with the center and the halo be too much do you think? Honestly the K color scares me a bit, but friend says it looks really white to her. I'm just not sure. I suppose I could just buy the empty setting and try to look at the cushion next to the halo?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a GIA "L" asscher in a halo with f-g melee. It's never bothered me, the melee are so small it doesn't make much of a difference. If it really is much of a concern you could ask whoever makes the halo if they can use more tinted melee.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1317158436|3027229 said:
I have a GIA "L" asscher in a halo with f-g melee. It's never bothered me, the melee are so small it doesn't make much of a difference. If it really is much of a concern you could ask whoever makes the halo if they can use more tinted melee.

Wow, your halo and diamond both look so icy white! I don't see any difference at all. Do you ever notice any tint in your L or not really?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My halo ring had a J colour centre stone with F-G melee. It wasn't really noticible from a distance but up close I could tell the small diamonds were a lot whiter. I would definitely recommend asking your vendor if they will work with lower colour melee if you think it might bother you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lower colour melee won't help if we're talking full-cut RB melee - not a difference in body colour so much as a difference in 'apparent' colour due to type of light return https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=144474

Single cuts w/ bigger facets, or french cuts, or something - lower colour melee is a good idea.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1317158999|3027242 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1317158436|3027229 said:

Wow, your halo and diamond both look so icy white! I don't see any difference at all. Do you ever notice any tint in your L or not really?

I notice it mostly in extreme direct sunlight. The body of the stone is where you would see the most color but you can't really see it since the halo and the trusses underneath cover most of it up. I have never had anyone say anything about the color of my stone, all I have ever gotten is compliments. Even jewelers never guess the color correctly. I brought it to Good Old Gold and just looking at it they thought it was an "H".

In the end though, it's all up to you. See if you can take your stone to a place where you can place it in a sample halo to give you an idea how it will look with the melee. I love mine to pieces, would never change it!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

If there's not a huge difference, hopefully it won't bother me. Does anyone else own a K/L and find it pretty white?

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
If you take a look under "halo rings" on Diamonds by Lauren's website you'll see a few K's with halos (some don't list K on the title so you'll have to click to see what the center stone is on a few) and keep in mind that some cuts show more or less color than others, but it gives you an idea as to the contrast between a K and melee on a halo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results