shape
carat
color
clarity

JW Pink Spinel Asscher Reset

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The spinel is very different from my usual taste. Yes, folks, Chrono commissioned this baby pink spinel from Jeff White with the primary purpose of precision cutting of a specific design! :-o :bigsmile: It is light in tone and not supersaturated but that's what I wanted in order for the windmills of the asscher cut to show through easily. I've had this set several years ago in the same setting as shown but the jeweller set it miles too high above the shank and it was unwearable to me. The gap was several mm high and I was concerned about damaging the stone when worn, so I put it away quietly until I am able to find a better jeweller who is able to fix it. Fortunately, I did find the right person and viola, I can wear this ring now. :))

spl004.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asschers are naturally deep in design so I had the jeweller notch a hole into the shank, then set the culet into this depression to allow it to be set as low as possible. The design has only two large ribbon / band style prongs holding the stone, with a hidden support structure underneath.

jw_spinel_1_profile.png

jw_spinel_2_glow.jpg

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
So simple and lovely--really shows off the stone! Congrats!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Tuffy. I'm happy that you love my ring even though it is very plain and modern.

jw_spinel_3_hand.jpg

jw_spinel_4_morning.jpg

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that is really quite nice. Beautiful stone.
Is the 'culet cubby' snug against the spinel or is there space to clean around it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My skin is pink and dry from the cold weather outdoors, so please ignore that if you can. The sun didn't want to come out and play for long, which is actually a good thing because the sparkle from the spinel is crazy and messes with the camera sensor.

jw_spinel_5_profile.jpg

jw_spinel_6_profile.jpg

jw_spinel_7_profile.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaneSmith|1353430243|3311070 said:
Oh that is really quite nice. Beautiful stone. Is the 'culet cubby' snug against the spinel or is there space to clean around it?

Thank you. Yes, the culet cubby is snug against the spinel for a good fit because it is another point of support for the stone.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Another fantastic color spinel for you. Coming today makes it like your own personal gemscoop!
Great that you found a jeweler whose work you trust enough to reset that the way it should have been from the start.
Lovely pieces like that need light and air.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous color, I seen some lilac/lavender/heather in it, making the stone so appealing! And congratulations on the nes setting!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono: you know I was really looking forward to seeing this ring closeup because I love his cutting, particularly asschers, and I liked the simplicity of the ring design. That said, it exceeds my expectations. The fact that the bezel is so close to the shank makes it more streamlined and elegant. The proportion of the shank width to stone/bezel width is perfect. The color of the stone is light enough to see windmills but does look fairly saturated due I suspect, to its setting.

One question: the cut out on the shank for the culet is a brilliant idea and allows the stone to set down in, but does it darken the culet at all? Is there any kind of demarcation line between the part of the stone that is down in, and the rest? Is there any visual impact apparent in the stone of having the center of the stone down in?

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono - I love this spinel of yours, it is crazy beautiful! The setting is perfect for it, in my eyes. The asscher cut and the light play is allowed to shine. In my eyes, the asscher cut is one of the hardest to set, because of the beauty of the cut. You nailed it!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That's gorgeous! I prefer lower settings too and have often thought of recessing the culet into the band but never done it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you VL and Arkteia.

Minou,
Actually, if I wanted to play up the saturation, I would not have chosen white gold, instead rose gold would have been a better choice. By going with white, I risked a greated colour contrast of soft baby pink against a cold stark white metal. So far, I have not seen any darkening of the culet. I peered and stared and the culet shows a bright pink end. I will continue to observe if any dirt might get trapped and darken the tip. There seems to be no demarcation line at all and in fact, from the top view, would never suspect the culet is sunk into the setting.

MT,
You have a great eye for design, so praise from you is high indeed. Asschers are truly a challenge to set and I would not get another one in the future.

Jstar,
I didn't think it was possible before, which is also why I never bothered to get it altered for many years. I think another PSer or two did this with their settings which gave me hope.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I love the color, the shape and the setting. Perfection!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very nice, nice, Chrono. I love rings where a beautiful stone is allowed to get all the attention, not competing w/sidestones, haloes, or melee. When you have something worth it, "too simple" isn't possible imho. Yours sure is worth it.

Also like the clever prongs & underneath support, really innovative thinking. I had the same question Minou did, whether making a little hidey-hole for the culet would affect how it looks -- glad & interested that it doesn't. Super job, thanks for letting us peek at it!!

--- Laurie

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
That is stunning! What a genius way to set the stone! I'm very impressed.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebloom|1353440350|3311232 said:
That is stunning! What a genius way to set the stone! I'm very impressed.

Beautiful! I love the stone AND the setting - perfect!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! Glad you've set it the way you wanted, and now can wear it. :bigsmile: (p.s. we're JW pink spinel asscher sisters! Though mine leans a bit towards peachy at times)

Renee317

Rough_Rock
I love the color! It is a beautiful ring.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, THAT'S a Chrono ring! :lol:

The cut is superb isn't it and my oh my what a colour. Gorgeous!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmed One, JewelFreak, Rosebloom, Colorluvr, and Renee,
Thank you!

NKOTB,
Is yours the same size or bigger? Do you wear it often?

LD,
What exactly is a "Chrono" ring? :confused: :bigsmile: Glad you like the cut and colour too.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That is one helluva ring Chrono! The stone is beautiful and the setting is perfect. I love modern, sleek settings. Fantasic idea to have the stone lowered into the shank. Very cool!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Woofmama. Initially, I was worried the setting might be too plain but now I think it is suited to the asscher cut which is very geometric and uncluttered.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1353467941|3311674 said:
Charmed One, JewelFreak, Rosebloom, Colorluvr, and Renee,
Thank you!

NKOTB,
Is yours the same size or bigger? Do you wear it often?

LD,
What exactly is a "Chrono" ring? :confused: :bigsmile: Glad you like the cut and colour too.

Mine is bigger - around 8 mm, 3.07 cts. I bought it preloved and have only had it for a couple of months, but have worn it several times so far. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And you never started a thread on it? :nono: Time to be a good CSer in readiness for Xmas and start a new one for it if you haven't done so. :bigsmile:

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring Chrono! I have always liked lighter pink spinel in asscher cuts! :love:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
GORGEOUS

Love the proportions - just the right amount of metal along the edge

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1353509251|3311944 said:
And you never started a thread on it? :nono: Time to be a good CSer in readiness for Xmas and start a new one for it if you haven't done so. :bigsmile:

I bought it from another PSer, who did a thread on it when she got it, so I never know how that works/what's proper/etc. I plan to do a "year end review" type thread of completed or newly acquired items soon, though. ;-)

But back to YOUR gorgeous ring! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results