carat
color
clarity

Justice Antonin Scalia reported dead

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
missy|1455655315|3991714 said:
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. On both "sides".
And I absolutely agree. You cannot reason with the unreasonable. There has been a lot of unreasonableness on both sides of the line IMO.
I also hope Obama chooses wisely and picks a good candidate and that the GOP pushes him/her through. That would be a win win for everyone.

I think it's ridiculous and insulting to suggest that Obama wouldn't "choose wisely." I'm not saying that you are suggesting this, but it does appear to be what McConnell and any of the sheep intent on following him are suggesting. Obama can and should continue to to choose eminently qualified candidates, as he has done in the past. Sotomayer and Kagan are exceptionally qualified for the job, and have the added bonus of adding welcome diversity - so that the Supreme Court can more closely resemble the demographics of this great nation. If they are "like minded" to Obama, it's because all three hold this country and its constitution in highest esteem and are willing to serve the nation. The president has already proven that he knows EXACTLY how to choose the best candidate for a SJC.

On this particular issue, there has NOT been unreasonableness on both sides. It's been on one side only. The republicans immediately stated that they would not consider any nomination, that it's up to the next president. Personally, I don't think for a minute that this strategy has anything to do with worry about who the president might pick. (If that were the case, they could wait for a selection and vote it down.) It has everything to do with fanning the flames of the segment of their base that hates Obama and denies the legitimacy of his presidency.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria, I think McConnell is an idiot and the republicans who immediately said they would veto any nomination Obama presented idiots as well. There is no shortage of people with poor judgment in public service. And yes that (poor judgment) crosses party lines IMO.

As for saying I hope Obama chooses wisely I assume nothing and hope for the best. So when I say that understand where it is coming from. I never cease to be surprised by politicians despite knowing better so I am always cautious in my hopes re what they will do in any situation.

I also agree with everything you wrote.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1455658340|3991741 said:
I do agree there are potential nominees that would be considered more or less appealing to the majority of people. And like Scalia once said, it's important for him to pick a "smart one". I would rather a justice be picked who is considered smart and incisive and knowledgeable about the law, than one who is picked for ideological reasons.

I have a caveat for this this statement. I would rather have someone picked to become a justice who is knowledgeable about the law and also bright and incisive enough to be fair when interpreting it rather than one simply picked for ideological reasons. But someone who simply accepts that a corporation is a person because that was taught in law school may not be ideological enough for me.

AGBF
:read:

On that note, I am wondering if corporations...who are people in the eyes of the law...have equal rights with men. As missy pointed out in another thread, women do not.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1455709266|3992003 said:
Because a 79 year old man with high blood pressure simply could NOT have died from a heart attack, he must have been assassinated by a conspiracy. Trump has, naturally, jumped on the bandwagon.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-scalia-conspiracy-20160217-story.html

America is truly the laughingstock (or increasingly the pariah) of the civilized world.

Lol why doesn't that surprise me re Trump. I cannot believe people are actually planning on voting for him. :errrr:

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
ksinger said:
Because a 79 year old man with high blood pressure simply could NOT have died from a heart attack,

Absolutely, he could have. Not surprised that there are eyebrows raised considering there was no investigation or any indication that any authorities considered any other possibility. That is unusual even when the deceased is not in a highly influential, politically charged position. Add to that a cremation within 24 hours? Unusual.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies|1455731839|3992133 said:
ksinger said:
Because a 79 year old man with high blood pressure simply could NOT have died from a heart attack,
Absolutely, he could have. Not surprised that there are eyebrows raised considering there was no investigation or any indication that any authorities considered any other possibility. That is unusual even when the deceased is not in a highly influential, politically charged position. Add to that a cremation within 24 hours? Unusual.
He was also appreciably overweight & a life-long smoker of cigars and cigarettes; the family did not want an autopsy performed; and his body has not been cremated. It will be on view in the Supreme Court's Great Hall from 10:30 am - 8:00 pm on Friday:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/02/16/justice-scalia-will-lie-in-repose-at-the-supreme-court/

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone-

I stand corrected. Wasn't cremated yet but the embalming was within 24 hours. Definitely was not a picture of health, I agree.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies|1455731839|3992133 said:
ksinger said:

Here is how death is Texas is actually handled. They didn't consider any other possibility, because the evidence at the scene did not indicate anything out of the ordinary - a sick 79 year old man died in his sleep. Even Scalia's own family and physicians thought a natural death likely and reasonable. There was no need to ask for an autopsy and the family didn't want one. Pretty simple.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/02/antonin-scalia-autopsy/463251/

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies said:
MollyMalone-
I stand corrected. Wasn't cremated yet but the embalming was within 24 hours. Definitely was not a picture of health, I agree.
Well, although he didn't emulate Justice Ginsburg's workout routine, Justice Scalia was not the couch potato you might think from looking at him. E.g., a tennis player for at least the past 50 years, he had just suffered a rotator cuff injury from playing tennis; that's why his doctor had seen him last week. But, he told his friend Professor Bryan Garner on Wednesday, he hoped to start playing again in several months. And I now see that Garner also told the National Law Journal that he had not seen the Justice smoke in the past year, altho' damage had doubtlessly been done by that time:
http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=1202749725758/Scalia-was-Unbelievably-Energetic-During-Recent-Trip-to-Asia-CoAuthor-Said?slreturn=20160117180709

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
:) I did not say that the man didn't exercise. However, it is clear that his intake exceeded his caloric burn. No judgment here but living with that much excess weight is significantly harder on the body.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies|1455755818|3992319 said:
:) I did not say that the man didn't exercise. However, it is clear that his intake exceeded his caloric burn. No judgment here but living with that much excess weight is significantly harder on the body.

LOL! Just LIVING at 79 is hard on the body, and every day at that age is a bonus. He must have been doing something right to get that old. And I simply can't think of a better way to die than he did. Most of us don't get off that easily. Lucky man.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
^^^ Agreed. I have said the same re:wanting to go the same way. We recently lost my father-in-law in just that way. Went to bed while on vacation and never woke up the next morning.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1455756445|3992331 said:
... And I simply can't think of a better way to die than he did. Most of us don't get off that easily. Lucky man.

At 79 if he was 'getting off easily' he was a very lucky man. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies|1455755818|3992319 said:

Actually, that is a judgment. It may also be true. But although our doctors tell us not to put extra stress on our hearts, the strange truth is that many thinner people who seem in the same basic health die a lot younger and we do not, yet, know why. My thin, runner husband had the first of his two heart attacks at 53 and there was no history of heart disease in his family. (No, he isn't dead yet.) But sometimes heavy people seem to have hearts that tolerate weight. Not that I recommend testing it!!!

This is becoming a strange threadjack. Sorry to continue it.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1455756957|3992342 said:
... And I simply can't think of a better way to die than he did. Most of us don't get off that easily. Lucky man.

KENNY!! Did you HAVE to go there???? This is serious stuff!!! For heaven's sake - decorum, man, decorum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I disagree that it is a judgment. It is a statement of fact. Of course there are other hidden conditions that can be present in a thin person. Thin does not equal healthy, either. However, speaking as a person who was 100+ lbs. over weight just a few years ago, it is a fact that simply breathing, sitting up in bed, walking is significantly more difficult when a person is surrounded by that much extra bulk. I don't judge him for that. I am still not at my ideal weight and I have been up and down my whole life. I am healthy and exercise 6 days a week but I have regained some due to my caloric burn being less than my caloric intake. That being the case, I just plain don't feel as well as I can and it exacerbates my slight asthma and I can definitely feel the difference in my joints. Having a full health work up every year, I can say I am healthy in every way except my weight. I know you can be overweight, to a degree, and be active and even healthy. I'm living that now.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1455660507|3991763 said:
Maria, I think McConnell is an idiot and the republicans who immediately said they would veto any nomination Obama presented idiots as well. There is no shortage of people with poor judgment in public service. And yes that (poor judgment) crosses party lines IMO.

I agree. This may be a case of speak in haste, repent in the election...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just LIVING at 79 is hard on the body, and every day at that age is a bonus. He must have been doing something right to get that old
ksinger said:
Ohhhh I am offended, bereft, gobsmacked, and verklempt as someone who is 60ish at the notion that 70ish is "that old." Self-soothing right now by stuffing my mouth full of Cadbury solid chocolate candy coated easter eggs washed down with dirty martinis.

KENNY!! Did you HAVE to go there???? This is serious stuff!!! For heaven's sake - decorum, man, decorum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I am I am offended, bereft, gobsmacked, and verklempt that I totally missed Kenny's double entendre until ksingers response. Maybe it's sugar or alcohol overload, or maybe I am that old :bigsmile:

and I screwed up the quote thingy to boot.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1455758194|3992358 said:

:lol:

:Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something:

:bigsmile:

screen_shot_2016-02-17_at_5.png

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1455767140|3992439 said:
I wouldn't assume his absence is a contemptuous statement of disrespect. Would the media be aiming attention & their cameras at the President and, e.g., his interactions with Senators at the Basilica before, during, and after the funeral service? Of course. So it seems to me just as plausible (actually more probable) that the President bowed out or the Scalia family asked the President to not attend the service because they want the focus that morning to be on their husband, their father, their grandfather -- not the increasing frenzy surrounding the nomination of his successor.

The White House Press Secretary's non-explanation, and the Scalia family's declination to respond to a reporter's query re whether they had asked the President to not attend, are consonant with such an alternative scenario. Even Ed Whalen, a politically conservative lawyer who once served as a law clerk to Justice Scalia & is a frequent contributor to, e.g., the National Review (and is no fan of Obama), told Politico: "I wouldn't have expected President Obama to attend the funeral Mass, and I see no reason to fault him for not attending."

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had Scalia been a left wing liberal judge I guarantee that the President will attend the funeral.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1455547570|3991268 said:
JoCoJenn|1455456188|3990907 said:
ksinger|1455455350|3990900 said:
Given that the gauntlet has been thrown before the body is cold, Obama needs to go ahead put forth his choice and the Dems then need to turn the camera squarely on the blatant obstruction and use that to every advantage in this election year. If an appointment is off the table, then it's time to make political hay. They need to make this into a huge election year issue of one more in-your-face example of Republicans obstructing Obama because he’s who he is and not because of what he does. Hang it around Republican necks like the rotting, stinky fish that it is and win back the senate and reduce the majority in the house.

Did you feel the same when the Reid-led Senate didn't do its job by putting ~350 House bills in a drawer? Why do you think Republicans end up with the Senate majority?

Why did Obama win both elections do you think?
b/c in 2008 he was able to brainwash millions of college kids like my daughters.. :bigsmile:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1455776405|3992471 said:
Had Scalia been a left wing liberal judge I guarantee that the President will attend the funeral.
Even if he hadn't been invited?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1455775094|3992466 said:
So it seems to me just as plausible (actually more probable) that the President bowed out or the Scalia family asked the President to not attend the service because they want the focus that morning to be on their husband, their father, their grandfather -- not the increasing frenzy surrounding the nomination of his successor.

Molly wrote about being seated next to Justices Scalia and Ginsburg in a restaurant. In many ways "Washington" (the entire area) is a small town. Not only did we look at the home of one of Justice Scalia's children in McLean when we were looking for houses in Virginia in 2004, but when we moved to Virgina (to another town), my daughter ended up in Middle School with one of his grandchildren. Just as people in California-or parts of it-go to school with the children of movie stars, children in the greater Washington DC area go to school with the children of Senators and Supreme Court Justices.

AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results