shape
carat
color
clarity

Just two questions about diamond lingo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Acadiamonds

Rough_Rock
When someone says they can do "GIA on the rounds 20 below (EX-EX no Flour.)", what does that mean?

Also, is a bluff diamond just a diamond with bad clarity?

Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS

A bluff diamond is one which looks far better than it's grades suggest, normally a lower clarity such as an I1 or even some very rare clean I2's, with a good colour from what I understand. I would also think a bluff diamond needs a halfway decent cut to go with it. I don't know what the first statement means sorry, except that the ex ex means excellent polish and symmetry and no fluor means no fluorescence. GIA is the major diamond grading lab.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A bluff stone means you get either a better looking stone than what its specs are, and it is usually in the lower quality diamonds (either lower in color but looks whiter because of different reasons, or lower clarity, but the inclusions are set in a way that it visualy looks good)

A different bluff stone is in the fancy shapes category..., and usually means a spreadier stone... (looks bigger than its size due to total depth...)
Some fancy shapes can be cut unusually shallow and will still be very appealable to your eyes....

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 3:13:57 AM
Author:Acadiamonds
When someone says they can do ''GIA on the rounds 20 below (EX-EX no Flour.)'', what does that mean?

Thanks.
Did they mean 20 pointers or smaller? i.e. <.2 carat. If so I assume that they mean they can get you accent diamonds in GIA excellent cut quality.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2006 3:56:42 AM
Author: IndieJones

Date: 5/21/2006 3:13:57 AM
Author:Acadiamonds
When someone says they can do ''GIA on the rounds 20 below (EX-EX no Flour.)'', what does that mean?

Thanks.
Did they mean 20 pointers or smaller? i.e. quote]
since i dont know anyone that certs. diamonds of 0.20 carat..., i would assume that whomever told you that sentence meant that:

He can sell you round diamonds which are EX-EX No Flour. for 20 below Rapaport List....

Sphinx

Rough_Rock
There is one common price list for diamonds, which is the Rapaport diamond list.
I believe the "GIA on the rounds 20 below" means the diamond's price is 20% below the Rapaport list.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
run away

GIA Ex Ex does not mean it is a nice stone.
And one discount across all color clarities and sizes is naive.

Finally many people prefer some fluoro - especially in lower colors

Acadiamonds

Rough_Rock
So how is a bluff diamond "hide" its imperfections? How is it any different from a regular I1-I3 diamond with inclusions?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
sometimes inclusions can be completely hidden under prongs. in this photo i left some ''inclusions'' in view by the prongs so you could see that they are there (partially hidden) as opposed to the visible inclusions right in the middle of the table that cannot be hidden.

bluffset.JPG

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2006 11:34:33 AM
Author: Acadiamonds
So how is a bluff diamond ''hide'' its imperfections? How is it any different from a regular I1-I3 diamond with inclusions?
It doesnt hide..., just the way the imperfections are spread and their size can make the diamond look better visually than its grade.

And some black imperfection will make the diamond look whiter,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results