shape
carat
color
clarity

Just totally blown my budget on this diamond

DanHart

Rough_Rock
I've just ordered this diamond from James Allen: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-568500

It's considerably above the budget I was originally intending, but it looked too good to miss. I might have to not eat for a month to afford getting it set! Especially as I'll have to pay insane import duty to get it here to the UK :( Maybe I should just book a flight to New York! It would probably be cheaper.

It's for an engagement ring, so I'm really hoping I made a good decision. I'm assuming you can't go too wrong with a True Hearts diamond? Do you think it's worth requesting an Idealscope image at this point, or is it too late for that?

I'm getting the setting specially made so I'll post up images of the final ring.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a nice diamond and the numbers are promising. Did you happen to get an ASET or IS of it?

I'm sure your girl will be floored by it :love: .

And yes, please post photos of the final ring!

Azriel

Rough_Rock
I'm kicking myself for not getting ASET or IS images before I bought it. I'll try calling up again to request some, but I'm not sure how obliging they will be at this point.

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
Azriel|1436307876|3900102 said:
I'm kicking myself for not getting ASET or IS images before I bought it. I'll try calling up again to request some, but I'm not sure how obliging they will be at this point.

There is already an IS image attached to the stone on the bottom right along with the hearts photo.

DanHart

Rough_Rock
lxAsTrOxl|1436308058|3900104 said:

There is already an IS image attached to the stone on the bottom right along with the hearts photo.

Ah I didn't realise that was an IS image. For some reason I thought IS images were blue. Thanks for pointing it out. Do you know if the IS image is reasonably good?

tonie

Rough_Rock
the IS looks good. I really like it. If you don't mind me asking, how much was it? And where did you order your custom ring from? How much did it cost to get it custom?

thanks

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
DanHart|1436308497|3900109 said:
lxAsTrOxl|1436308058|3900104 said:

Ah I didn't realise that was an IS image. For some reason I thought IS images were blue. Thanks for pointing it out. Do you know if the IS image is reasonably good?

Looks good, nothing to worry about at the 12 oclock position.

DanHart

Rough_Rock
Thanks lxAsTrOxl.

I was just reading up on IdealScope images - finding them fairly difficult to interpret myself.

To me my diamond looks most like the example of "Contrast Leakage" on this site: http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/idealscope-overview-and-examples.htm

The site says, "These small areas of ‘contrast leakage’ are perfectly acceptable." so hopefully the white triangular patterns won't be an issue.

Attaching the IS and Hearts images here for ease of comparison.

_637.png

_638.png

DanHart

Rough_Rock
tonie|1436309278|3900112 said:
the IS looks good. I really like it. If you don't mind me asking, how much was it? And where did you order your custom ring from? How much did it cost to get it custom?

thanks

Thanks tonie. It was $6660, so certainly not the most expensive True Hearts diamond on James Allen - but quite a lot for me.

I found a local jewellers in Hatton Garden (London) that are making the setting. They estimated it would cost around £1500 ($2300).

DanHart

Rough_Rock
After talking to another jeweller, I'm concerned that this diamond might be too yellow to set in platinum as I had intended. He showed me all the range of colours in CZ stones and I could clearly see yellow in a H grade.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try this, Dan. Go back to the James Allen web site & pull up a couple of settings that most closely resemble the one you have in mind; look at the thumbnail pics underneath the setting for pics of the setting in platinum and/or white gold with an H diamond of about the same carat size as yours & play the videos that then open up. Odds are high that -- even at that magnified vantage point, which is very different than seeing the ring in real life -- you won't be recoiling, thinking the H looks incongruous.

Boo247

Rough_Rock
Hullo - another UK poster here!

I just wanted to say that before my FI found an amazing antique diamond here in the UK we were going to NYC in Oct to pick up whatever diamond and ring he would have ordered in the states.

He's done research for months and it worked out cheaper for us to go to America on a holiday than import to the UK. He'd even arranged a night out of New York State to avoid the state sales tax. He did the sums and what we'd save on a £8,000 diamond paid for the holiday. We now have the ring but are going anyway and buying our wedding bands together as platinum is a lot cheaper than in the UK. Maybe worth you looking in to it but it might be easier just to ship.

And regarding the platinum setting - we've looked at hundreds of rings of all colours and I'd definitely go platinum for your H diamond - if that's what your lady would like. It will look great. Some say the whiteness of the platinum helps the diamond colour. It's going to be amazing. Good job!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Dan :wavey:

I am also in the UK. Most high street jewellers here use diamonds at G-H colour. Pop into a Beaverbrooks next time you pass one & have a chat about their diamonds, which they certify so you know you are actually looking at the colour they say you are. They'll be more than happy to let you have a close look. Personally I think H in platinum will be fine.

DanHart

Rough_Rock
Boo247|1436425678|3900735 said:
Hullo - another UK poster here!

I just wanted to say that before my FI found an amazing antique diamond here in the UK we were going to NYC in Oct to pick up whatever diamond and ring he would have ordered in the states.

He's done research for months and it worked out cheaper for us to go to America on a holiday than import to the UK. He'd even arranged a night out of New York State to avoid the state sales tax. He did the sums and what we'd save on a £8,000 diamond paid for the holiday. We now have the ring but are going anyway and buying our wedding bands together as platinum is a lot cheaper than in the UK. Maybe worth you looking in to it but it might be easier just to ship.

And regarding the platinum setting - we've looked at hundreds of rings of all colours and I'd definitely go platinum for your H diamond - if that's what your lady would like. It will look great. Some say the whiteness of the platinum helps the diamond colour. It's going to be amazing. Good job!

Thanks for your reply! This is really interesting for me. When you say, "He'd even arranged a night out of New York State to avoid the state sales tax.". Do you mean he stayed somewhere and got it shipped to that location?

Boo247

Rough_Rock
Yes. Exactly that.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Unmounted, H does show a scary amount of tint. Mounted, you should not notice it much in a properly graded 1ct stone unless it's sitting right next to colorless side stones. "I" is where most people can start to notice tint in a mounted stone. I don't think H in platinum will be a problem, at least not in that carat range.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AdaBeta27|1436451047|3900804 said:
Unmounted, H does show a scary amount of tint. Mounted, you should not notice it much in a properly graded 1ct stone unless it's sitting right next to colorless side stones. "I" is where most people can start to notice tint in a mounted stone. I don't think H in platinum will be a problem, at least not in that carat range.

I agree that mounted a GIA/AGS H color will look fine. But I wouldn't call the color from the side "scary" at all.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I think it should look fine in platinum. :wavey:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Disagree with this assessment.

I rate as color sensitive on the test I saw recently (http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge). I can barely see tint in an H from the side. I see some in an I and definitely some in an unmounted J. I have a J in a white gold halo setting set so that only the crown is really visible from the side and I can barely see any tint. The halo stones are H and face up there is very little difference between them and the J.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
for me,
an properly graded, well cut, 1 carat H would be lovely in platinum,

the -only- way I can tell differences b/t a F or G and a H is unset and then in a row. . . and that is not real life.

again this is just my preference
I don't know what your custom setting is going to look and if it will contain side stones or melee but you can let the jeweler know the center stone is H in color and pick the others stones in accordance.

as a solitaire in a six prong head I would be very comfortable w/ a properly graded, well cut, 1 carat H

DanHart

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks for all the great replies! As a result of the input here my plans have changed rather drastically!

Firstly, I've changed my mind and am now thinking of getting the diamond in this setting: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-white-gold-petite-pave-cathedral-engagement-ring-item-50083 Hopefully side stone's colour grades are close enough to the centre stone that the difference won't be noticeable? The site says they are between F-G grades.

Secondly, I'm thinking about booking a flight to Washington DC in order to pick it up.

Thirdly, I passed the idea of a trip to America in August by my girlfriend and she loved the idea.

Fourthly, I'm now intending to propose to her there! I had already booked a trip to Paris for early September and was intending to propose there. However, I think she would prefer Washington. Also we could always go to Paris as well, just for a regular holiday.

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
I have to also chime in that an H (to me) does NOT show a "scary amount of tint".

H's are just fine for me, and I tend to be a little color sensitive. Just don't want you to freak. :angel:

Boo247

Rough_Rock
How exciting!

Just wanted to say are you 100% sure on the white gold instead of platinum. I was dead set on platinum. There are pros and cons to both just make sure she's happy with white gold.

Your USA trip will be great. Please keep us posted!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
aaawa!
I love how your proposal plan is coming together!

underneath the big picture of the setting you can scroll and see what a 1 ct H VS 2 stone looks in that setting.

DanHart

Rough_Rock
Boo247|1436487087|3901081 said:
How exciting!

Just wanted to say are you 100% sure on the white gold instead of platinum. I was dead set on platinum. There are pros and cons to both just make sure she's happy with white gold.

Your USA trip will be great. Please keep us posted!

Oh I meant to post the link to the platinum setting. Definitely going for platinum and not white gold :)

DanHart

Rough_Rock
I heard there's an amazing gem collection at the National Museum of Natural History in Washington. I'm half thinking about doing the proposal there. Not sure if this is the right place to discuss this kind of thing, but any other suggestions would be most welcome!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ecf8503|1436467660|3900926 said:
AdaBeta27|1436451047|3900804 said:

I agree that mounted a GIA/AGS H color will look fine. But I wouldn't call the color from the side "scary" at all.

I didn't mean profile view. I meant unmounted, upside down, as color is graded. I had always considered my H colorless before that, and was shocked to see so much tint. lol

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
I live on the other side of the states so sadly I have no advice on great places to propose in Washington DC. but I read a blog https://theartinlife.wordpress.com/contact/
and she lives -in- the city. Perhaps if you reach out to her!

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
First, I think the ring will be beautiful. Second, I would pick the proposal setting based on your girfriend's personality. The National Gem collection at the Smithsonian would be a cute idea and goes with the theme. Just keep in mind that as far as public places go, it can be crowded and with many visitors waiting at each exhibit, you might not have long to enjoy the moment (but plenty of people to celebrate with you). So consider doing some research to find the least crowded days at the museum. If you think your girlfriend would prefer a private place (which many do), I can highly recommend the Bishops Garden at the National Cathedral. It's beautiful, romantic, (even has a gazebo), and generally not crowded. You may even luck up and be the only ones there. Be sure to check the times it is open. An internet search will show you exactly what the garden looks like. A few more places to consider are: numerous beautiful spots as you stroll along the Tidal Basin, the Jefferson Memorial or Lincoln Monuments are gorgeous when the evening lights are on, or even go for a performance at the Kennedy Center and then propose on the roof terrace which has panoramic views of the city.

Please come back to post hand shots of the ring and let us know how everything goes!

DanHart

Rough_Rock
So it happened! And more importantly - she said yes!

I want to thank everyone on this thread so much for all the help you gave me.

When I first saw the ring that JamesAllen had created my jaw literally dropped. I was expecting something special, but I was not prepared for this. As I mentioned, I visited Hatton Garden and many jewellers in the UK viewing engagement rings. This ring is incomparable to everything I saw. It's in a totally different league of workmanship and sparkle! I could not be happier with the setting and the diamond. I took the advice of aac2013 and proposed in the Bishop's Garden at the Washington National Cathedral. It was perfect.

Being a "H" color grade, I was concerned that the diamond would be slightly yellow. As was pointed out in this thread, I really need not of worried. The color is barely detectable in the mounted ring - even from the side; especially when outdoors. Most of my family has now seen the ring and the vast majority have commented on how "white and sparkly" it is. I have never once looked at it and thought "that diamond looks yellow". What's more I completed the color test (http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge) in less than 5 minutes and received a perfect score. So I would say that my color sensitivity is rather high. What is interesting is that the diamond definitely looks slightly blue in very bright sunlight. I assume this is due to the faint fluorescence. This is definitely a positive because it totally masks any yellow that might have been visible otherwise.

I also had some concerns about the Platinum Petite Pave Cathedral Engagement Ring (http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-white-gold-petite-pave-cathedral-engagement-ring-item-50083). My main concern being that it would be too petite! I can state categorically that this setting is BEAUTIFUL and I would HIGHLY recommend it.

I have had several photos taken of the ring and am intending to post them on this forum. I might also make a blog post about my entire buying experience. Should I create a new thread for the photos or post them in this one?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results