shape
carat
color
clarity

Just to Be Sure... poor college kid going out on a limb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drstone

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for about a year now and must give a very big thank you to all those who contribute.

Looking for diamonds on-line for an engagement ring can be an obsession. At some point you have to find a stone that is right for you, and just go with it. For some of us (aka ME) this is not only a large purchase... but one that will require a lot of work to pay off. So... humor me guys... I need an honest opinion.

I have been using AGA in combination with the general rules of thumb for Princess cuts I''ve learned from jewlers. The AGA results for this stone pushed me to purchase. I have not yet seen the diamond (got a few months payments on it first). However its EGL made me excited.

1.04 Princess Cut
H SI1
5.28*6.01*3.92
Depth: 74.3%
Table Diameter: 70%
Crown Height: 10%
Pavilion Depth: 61%
Issuer: EGL

I was looking for a rectangular stone, as it will be set in a platinum catherdral and I like the brilliance of a princess, and my soon to be fiance likes the shape of an emerald.
I have heard that generally you should think of EGL color as one grade lower to GIA and the H - I area is what I was looking for. I am very happy with SI1 as its naked to the eye and has some unique characteristics at 10x.

So any opinions? Does the AGA grading of 1A do it justice? I know I have to see it first, and have it appraised, but just being paranoid here
loopy.gif
Or will I have to act quick on my 10-day return policy when it comes?

Thank you everyone!

1569.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my opinion... of, course, but this is great!

Good Job! AGA or not, that thing looks great and you surely must have spent some effort finding it by this standard... You know wether this is was a good deal, but the combination of specs surely indicates one.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know a thing about fancies, but if its an AGA 1a, that is saying something for a princess stone!
1.gif

When you get it, take it immediately to an independent appraiser. They will confirm what hopefully you already know, that it matches the cert, is truly an H SI1 and is an amazing stone. EGL can sometimes be less strict outside of the USA, but if its an EGL USA cert then I think you would be pretty much fine. Only the appraiser will tell you for sure though! Can you have the vendor send it to an inde appraiser while you are still putting payments on it, if you pay for the appraisal and shipping costs ? That way you know for sure and don't have to wait until you are done with paying for it to find out something.

2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it is a great thing to hear a professional validate your hunch, and it does not have to be costly. Who is maing the ring? If the jeweler you choose is a peson you trust, than his opinion would help (surely for matching a cert with the stone) and would not cost anything on top of the basic setting service...

drstone

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone...

Thank you for your posts. This stone it through Diamonds-usa.com and from thier site and all the reviews I feel as though I can trust them. The fact they are located in Israel and are diamond cutters makes me even more confident in the purchase. The stone's price is $3175. Which I feel is a tremendous value over the stones I have previously seen. I am not sure of the EGL USA distinction, will have to research it more.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi if it is an EGL isreal report I would be more concerned about lax grading...make sure you can make the sale contignet upon the evaluation of an independent appraiser of YOUR choice

best of luck in your search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results