shape
carat
color
clarity

Just reset my ER and now the stone looks smaller

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emeraldcut

Rough_Rock
I just had my emerald cut solitaire ER reset and now it looks smaller than it did with the original setting. The setting I just got is the traditional tiffany-style set which I like b/c it comes up on the sites and meets the stone at the top and therefore, it blends well. The setting before I didn''t like b/c the band hit at the base of the stone so it looked like it was plopped on top of the band . The new band is thicker than before which i think might be why it looks smaller. I also think it''s set lower. The jeweler said he''d change it but right now according to him it''s set the way it should be set but obviously, I''m the one who has to live with it and love it and I feel like a pain in the butt but I''m really dissappointed. He said setting it high would jeapordize the safety of stone, as would having a skinny band. He said the thin band I had was more appropriate to a 1ct stone while what I have now is appropriate to my sized stone which is 3.43 cts.

Because I bought the stone from a different jeweler than where I had it reset, it cost us roughly $1200 to have it reset The jeweler, like I said, will happily change it but I don''t know what to do with it. I''m going to live with it for a while and see how I feel later. But when I came back to work even one of my co-workers said it looks smaller......

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
DO you have pictures of your ring? It sounds enormous at 3+ carats. How much smaller are we talking. Looking smaller doesn't change that it is 3+ carats and how many people do you know with a stone that size?

Go with your idea- wear it for a while and maybe you'll get used to it.

emeraldcut

Rough_Rock
It actually doesn't look enormous as I've found that an EC stone is quite understated since it doesn't have the kind of flash that the other cuts have. So, you can get away with going larger without it looking ridiculous.

I actually don't have any pictures of it but I'll take one and post it one of these days.

Thanks for the advice...

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
I was considering an emerald cut but for that reason I've decided round or regent.

emeraldcut

Rough_Rock
you should look at cushion and asscher also. they're stunning and unique but reminiscent of an antique style depending upon how to have it set.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Asscher was my pick but you lose size because of the dimensions so I would have to buy more carats to get the look I want and I don't have the $$$$ for that but thanks.

I can't wait to see pics of your ring. I don't have mine yet but I'll be posting pics when I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results