shape
carat
color
clarity

Just put this diamond on hold at Blue Nile...nervous and need some advice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
After A LOT of research, BF was finally convinced that buying online could be an option. I found a great ring on BlueNile and called and asked them if it was eye-clean. They told me they're holding the stone till Tuesday and will call me back on Monday and let me know if the stone is eyeclean or not. Here are the specs (I also entered it into HCA and it got a 1.5): It's priced at $5,055. Is this a good stone and a good price?

AGS Report

Report Type: Diamond Quality™ Document
Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.44 - 6.49 x 4.02 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 1.0 (F)
Clarity Grade: AGS 5 (SI1)
Carat Weight 1.025
Fluorescence: Negligible

Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Table: 54.8%
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown Height: 15.7%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.2% to 3.8%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43.1%
Star Length: 52%
Lower Girdle Length: 76%
Total Depth: 62.1%
Culet: Pointed

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Numbers looks good.
A very good price which could mean it is just a great deal or it is not eye-clean.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I''ll know if it''s eye-clean on Monday. But assuming it is then that''s good to hear :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, looks great so far!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 7:05:18 AM
Author: Ellen
I agree, looks great so far!
Looks great and chances are it is eyeclean at SI1 in that size, but do check.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
And the price is good?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 10:46:18 AM
Author: Treasure43
And the price is good?
BN are competitive for price.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info :) I plugged the James Allen Diamond into the HCA and it got a 2.2 while the BN diamond got a 1.5. So assuming the BN diamond is eye-clean, it looks like a good deal.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Update: I just got the email from my BlueNile rep that the diamond is eye-clean! :)

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
That''s fabulous, treasure43!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Now the frustration begins. I can''t know if this is the stone he will buy or not because he wants it to be a suprise. So I''ll just have to keep researching diamonds and let him choose which one he wants. This diamond is a great choice, but I''m not sure if he''ll purchase it or not...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 12:53:28 PM
Author: Treasure43
Now the frustration begins. I can't know if this is the stone he will buy or not because he wants it to be a suprise. So I'll just have to keep researching diamonds and let him choose which one he wants. This diamond is a great choice, but I'm not sure if he'll purchase it or not...
Well, nobody loves surprises more than me, but when you're talking diamonds, it's a bit different. It could be gone by the time he decides.....And are you supposed to keep picking out contenders?

ETA You've got this one on hold, do you have others? or are you to keep looking?

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
He knows this one is on hold till Tuesday and he asked for the e-mail with the BlueNile lady''s info. My gut feeling is that he''ll get it, but who knows. Really it''s all my choice to do this research and I probably would keep on looking. I think he''s still a bit hesitant about the online process, even though with BlueNile you don''t have to pay for the first month. He''s an accoutant so it''s his nature to make sure everything is perfect haha. Me, I''d buy it.

John NC

Rough_Rock
Hi there- I''d tell him to take the stone into a pro for an evaluation (paid)... I did and thank goodness. Just bought 2 round stones last week, one GIA Ex 2.27 and one AGS triple ideal 2.058.... and the 2.058 beat the GIA (barely) on several points of evaluation by the pro, but most importantly the GIA had a feather in the table that I didn''t see until it was pointed out to me by him (he saw it right away- trained eye).... and even thought I couldn''t see it 80% or more of the time, that sealed the deal for the AGS as the winner. GIA was $1,600 less than the AGS and bigger so I was rooting for it, but the writing was on the wall once the evaluation took place.
SI-1 I''d think you''d be OK, but I think it depends on how keen your eyes are. Scary part is if you miss a flaw in the excitement then notice it in a month, you''ll notice it for the rest of your life. GOOD LUCK!
John

John NC

Rough_Rock
By the way the cutter told Abazias that the GIA 2.27 was "1,000% eye clean"....and on first glance (and 5th and 10th) it looked eye clean to me too until the pro showed me the feather, then I found it easily. I''d say it''s more like 80% eye clean and the inclusion is a feather, not a black crystal or anything too terrible. It will be a great value for someone looking for a large stone at a discount (strong blue fluorescence and SI-2, I color GIA ex cut). $10,621
Good luck! John

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results