shape
carat
color
clarity

Just purchased this Ruby Diamond Ring

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone
I have just purchased this dainty looking Natural Ruby and Diamond ring. I was surprised of the quality of the Ruby. On the inside of the shank it says 1.05 and PT500. I’m wondering if this means the Rubies weight is 1.05 carat. I did a measurement of the Ruby and it came up as 9mm X 6.2mm. This measurement seems bigger than 1.05.
Also how would I see if the Ruby has been heat treated? I can see white silk incisions under the loupe. It’s such a clean stone I’m surprised by the fire it gives off. Here are some pics with one against my 2ct Ceylon Sapphire. 5941E192-BE32-4905-9D8E-5F7FAE59D912.jpeg
Thanks for listening
Wen

Attachments

• FCDDA259-6B4E-4AF6-A224-10DEB18C1C76.jpeg
    FCDDA259-6B4E-4AF6-A224-10DEB18C1C76.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 45
  • F9FCEF10-A5C1-4516-A6AE-BD900407BC71.jpeg
    F9FCEF10-A5C1-4516-A6AE-BD900407BC71.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 48
  • E76B0629-E1F2-4156-9828-D37AD4EF34FA.jpeg
    E76B0629-E1F2-4156-9828-D37AD4EF34FA.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 78A12592-0F2E-406D-8D42-C546DB626DCB.jpeg
    78A12592-0F2E-406D-8D42-C546DB626DCB.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 39
  • 7D1E222D-0E38-4112-8616-61F16C809EAD.jpeg
    7D1E222D-0E38-4112-8616-61F16C809EAD.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 36

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
It is bigger than 1.05 carat. I can tell just by the finger shots. If your measurements are correct, somewhere between 2.50 and a little over 3 carats depending how deep the stone is.

Best way to find out if it is treated is send it to a lab. The AGL or GIA if in America. Gubelin if in Europe. Many in Asia, depends where you live.

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
It is bigger than 1.05 carat. I can tell just by the finger shots. If your measurements are correct, somewhere between 2.50 and a little over 3 carats depending how deep the stone is.

Best way to find out if it is treated is send it to a lab. The AGL or GIA if in America. Gubelin if in Europe. Many in Asia, depends where you live.

Thanks I’m from Australia. Perhaps the 1.05 is for the diamonds. Will definitely send to a lab and get it certified and valued.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks I’m from Australia. Perhaps the 1.05 is for the diamonds. Will definitely send to a lab and get it certified and valued.

All gemstone labs do is to tell you the species of the stone and the treatment. If you pay more the origin. But these are all well educated guesses, not certifications. Just reports. Though from respected labs they carry a lot of weight.

They do not do appraisals. You would have to go to an appraiser for that after the gem report, as appraisers can be very knowledgeable, but they just do not have the sophisticated equipment to tell you whether as Ruby has been treated and in what way. Though some can make a good guess. But it is most important to have a gemstone report from a reputable lab first.

Also know that appraisers will give you an inflated insurance replacement value. It does not mean that you will be able to resale the stone for the appraised amount. You won’t.

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
All gemstone labs do is to tell you the species of the stone and the treatment. If you pay more the origin. But these are all well educated guesses, not certifications. Just reports. Though from respected labs they carry a lot of weight.

They do not do appraisals. You would have to go to an appraiser for that after the gem report, as appraisers can be very knowledgeable, but they just do not have the sophisticated equipment to tell you whether as Ruby has been treated and in what way. Though some can make a good guess. But it is most important to have a gemstone report from a reputable lab first.

Also know that appraisers will give you an inflated insurance replacement value. It does not mean that you will be able to resale the stone for the appraised amount. You won’t.

Thank you very much

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking of selling it but because I only paid $1500 usd I will most likely keep it and get it valued/certified

Peary

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking of selling it but because I only paid $1500 usd I will most likely keep it and get it valued/certified

$1,500 USD or $15,000 or $150,000? How can a natural ruby that's 2.5+ct only cost $1,500? Was this purchased from a vendor or from a friend/family?

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
$1,500 USD or $15,000 or $150,000? How can a natural ruby that's 2.5+ct only cost $1,500? Was this purchased from a vendor or from a friend/family?

Hi Peary,
I have purchased from a pawn shop that I have bought many jewellery items the last 6 years. It had recently come into the shop and had it been there any longer they would of sent away for a Valuation but because they knew me they let me have it. I’ve been looking for a Ruby for years so couldn’t let it go for this price. It was verbally assessed as a natural Ruby but I think it could be bigger than 1.05 carat. What do you think?

Here is another pic while I sip on my coffee.
It’s probably not anideal colour perhaps a little dark but it amazes me how it changes depending on the light conditions image.jpg

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

I didn't want to say, but since you said, "pawn shop," I figured this was the case at AUD1500.00.

You do need to have the Ruby checked, just to make sure it is not lead glass filled. If it is, it is basically worthless, but, if the mounting is real white gold or platinum and the diamonds better than I1, the stone is probably just heated.

No one can say, until you send it in to a lab.

Even at $1500.00, since it is a used item, chances are you’re not going to make any real money on the ring, unless you hold out for the right buyer, and that could take years, or you might get lucky, but that is a slim to no chance.

Send it to a lab and if it is just only heated, enjoy the ring. Dealing jewelry and gemstones are for the professionals in most cases. They get better deals. They have clients. They have the money and time to wait for the right customer.

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
I didn't want to say, but since you said, "pawn shop," I figured this was the case at AUD1500.00.

You do need to have the Ruby checked, just to make sure it is not lead glass filled. If it is, it is basically worthless, but, if the mounting is real white gold or platinum and the diamonds better than I1, the stone is probably just heated.

No one can say, until you send it in to a lab.

Even at $1500.00, since it is a used item, chances are you’re not going to make any real money on the ring, unless you hold out for the right buyer, and that could take years, or you might get lucky, but that is a slim to no chance.

Send it to a lab and if it is just only heated, enjoy the ring. Dealing jewelry and gemstones are for the professionals in most cases. They get better deals. They have clients. They have the money and time to wait for the right customer.

Thanks for your advice. Under my loupe I can’t see any gas bubbles or coloured lines which is a good sign. Just out of curiosity if it was natural unheated around 2 carat what would it be worth? I guess it would be hard to determine without looking at it in person. I can see white feather type inclusions in the Ruby.

Also it was around $1500 usd. I did the conversion so was $2500 AUD. They gave me $1000 off the price also. So the ticket price originally was $3500.

Last edited:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful but I would definitely get it assessed by an expert, no pawn shop would sell a untreated ruby at that size for such a bargain… :think:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your advice. Under my loupe I can’t see any gas bubbles or coloured lines which is a good sign. Just out of curiosity if it was natural unheated around 2 carat what would it be worth? I guess it would be hard to determine without looking at it in person. I can see white feather type inclusions in the Ruby.

Also it was around $1500 usd. I did the conversion so was $2500 AUD. They gave me $1000 off the price also. So the ticket price originally was $3500.

It will not be unheated. Sorry.

It is over 2 carats. 2.50 to 3.15 carats depending on how deep it is.

Send it to a lab.

Then if it turns out is is just normal heat treatment, keep it and wear it and love it. :)

Resale really is not an option for a profit.

Good luck to you.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
The 1.05 would be the diamond ctw.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
The 1.05 would be the diamond ctw.

Your are making an assumption that is the Diamond carat weight. Just because that is inscribed inside the band does not mean that is the carat weight. Sorry.

Also, until an apprasier or lab (I would not go to the expense of a lab for the Diamonds) the stones could be H/I and VS/SI/SI2/SI3, maybe a little better or H/I/J/K and 11 or worse in clarity. A good apprasier will know.

Let us know when you find out.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Your are making an assumption that is the Diamond carat weight. Just because that is inscribed inside the band does not mean that is the carat weight. Sorry.

Also, until an apprasier or lab (I would not go to the expense of a lab for the Diamonds) the stones could be H/I and VS/SI/SI2/SI3, maybe a little better or H/I/J/K and 11 or worse in clarity. A good apprasier will know.

Let us know when you find out.

Sure, I should have said that *may be* the diamond carat weight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results