shape
carat
color
clarity

Just purchased first ever diamond (4.9ct oval) -- can I get some opinions?

blinkblank

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on PriceScope after lurking for a week, so let me know if this post does not follow existing format structure.

I may or may not have impulsively splurged and purchased a diamond to start the engagement ring process via an online jeweler. When choosing it out, I did know some of the basics (4 Cs, height/depth, bowties, etc.) but after reading more about how some diamonds can have good stats on paper but a dull appearance in person, I'm slightly concerned especially since I won't be able to see it in person until later (and returning it + re-purchasing another stone would delay my proposal plans).

To my untrained eyes, the stone I picked looked very appealing with not too much bow-tie during my browsing of ovals on sites like BE/JA/Ritani/LooseGrownDiamond... I feel like the past two weeks I've looked at so many ovals now I'm going backwards on my understanding of what makes a good oval. Please let me know what you think!

Stats: 4.90 Carats oval, E, VVS2, ideal/super ideal cut
IGI report: https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=581338372
360 view: https://dimdna.azureedge.net/hdfile/HD/Vision360.html?d=ES-AA-14324&btn=0&sv=0&z=0

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Hello @blinkblank!

I’m no expert, so all I can ask is whether or not you’ll evaluate it with an Idealscope at home. I’m assuming the vendor wasn’t able to get you ASET images.

I understand the desire not to delay your proposal, but by now you know that a diamond with superb light return will give you satisfaction and peace of mind for years to come. Let’s see what the experts have to say.

Congrats on your upcoming proposal!

blinkblank

Rough_Rock
Yeah, you nailed it on the head. Vendor wasn't able to get ASET images but they did promise a video + photos once the diamond arrives to their shop. I'm hoping that I picked a good one the first time around but if it does turn out to be a dud I think I will go with taking my time to look into other stones.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Finger crossed!

And just another plug for getting a $25 Idealscope. Could provide lots of peace of mind, and many ppl here can confidently comment on posted Idealscope images.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I cant comment on the lab-created issues (I dont know enough), but as far as the cut goes....its a typical 8 main with offset faceting
pattern.

May have "end caps" where the stone goes dark at the tip of the pointed ends (this bothers some people, but others don't seem
to mind. I think it all depends on how picky the buyer is).

BTW...there really is no Ideal/Super Ideal cut for ovals (unless its a branded cut with IDEAL light return)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results