shape
carat
color
clarity

Just mailed a 3k package via registered mail. Was told by USPS staff I didn’t need to purchase additional insurance??

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I just mailed a 3k package with registered mail via first class. I specifically asked my branch manager if I need to purchase additional insurance and was told no, that the fee for registered mail includes coverage up to $25,000 and will thus automatically cover up to the value I declared. Is this true???

Btw I paid around $18 total to mail the double boxed package about 8x 4 x 4 inches.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Last time I sent something registered mail I think it cost $40-ish and I specified I wanted $9000 in insurance.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@winnietucker thank you for sharing.

I actually just got back from USPS the second time this morning. After I posted and looked at the receipt closely I realized that the declared value I wrote on the form 3806 was NOT ENTERED by the USPS employee; the receipt has a declared value of “0.00”—yikes!!!

Good thing I live a few blocks away from my USPS. I literally ran down the street back to USPS (almost got hit by their truck in the parking lot lol)—where she fixed her mistake.

So I ended up paying just over $26 total for the package.

basically what I learned (and hope this might help others!):
1. Registered mail includes insurance up to 25k, and the rate for insurance you pay is based on your declared value, and is then added to the base rate for registered mail.
2. Always triple check your receipt!!!!!

Crisis narrowly averted. Now the agonizing wait. I’m shipping within CA and was told an estimated delivery date of this Saturday (3 days from now not including today), but we will see...

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Just a FYI - it took way, way longer for my package to be delivered than was estimated. I think it got delivered a week after the estimated delivery date.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
That's what makes me hesitate to use registered mail, it seems to take a long time for delivery. I'm nervous til I get confirmation from the sendee "it's here". I tend to ship w/ next day delivery, so I'm only anxious for 24 hours! Curious to see how this shipment goes. Let us know please!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, you can insure a piece for up to $25,000 but you actually have to state it and pay for it when dropping the package off. Good thing you caught her mistake and were still able to fix it, whew!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@winnietucker thank you for sharing.

I actually just got back from USPS the second time this morning. After I posted and looked at the receipt closely I realized that the declared value I wrote on the form 3806 was NOT ENTERED by the USPS employee; the receipt has a declared value of “0.00”—yikes!!!

Good thing I live a few blocks away from my USPS. I literally ran down the street back to USPS (almost got hit by their truck in the parking lot lol)—where she fixed her mistake.

So I ended up paying just over $26 total for the package.

basically what I learned (and hope this might help others!):
1. Registered mail includes insurance up to 25k, and the rate for insurance you pay is based on your declared value, and is then added to the base rate for registered mail.
2. Always triple check your receipt!!!!!

Crisis narrowly averted. Now the agonizing wait. I’m shipping within CA and was told an estimated delivery date of this Saturday (3 days from now not including today), but we will see...

That happened to me. I had to argue with the clerk to get her to change the terms and include insurance. Always check!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
USPS Registered Mail is nerve-wracking because of how long it can take between drop-off and delivery & the lack of in-transit details. But it is what Jewelers Mutual strongly recommends -- and it's in their best interests to recommend the most reliable means of shipping gems-jewelry. So I hope that gives you some greater peace of mind :))

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for c
Yep, you can insure a piece for up to $25,000 but you actually have to state it and pay for it when dropping the package off. Good thing you caught her mistake and were still able to fix it, whew!

I know, right? My fault for not being careful the first time around.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
USPS Registered Mail is nerve-wracking because of how long it can take between drop-off and delivery & the lack of in-transit details. But it is what Jewelers Mutual strongly recommends -- and it's in their best interests to recommend the most reliable means of shipping gems-jewelry. So I hope that gives you some greater peace of mind :))

Thanks!!! Knowing what to expect in terms of how long it will take, I think I’ll be a little less nervous!

MelMc

Rough_Rock
A few months ago I had to read up on the difference between registered and certified mail for work. If I remember correctly registered mail travels in a locked truck and has to be signed into the postal facility at each stage of it's travels so in theory they can tell every person who has touched your package. Creating the chain of custody is probably why it's so slow.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
A few months ago I had to read up on the difference between registered and certified mail for work. If I remember correctly registered mail travels in a locked truck and has to be signed into the postal facility at each stage of it's travels so in theory they can tell every person who has touched your package. Creating the chain of custody is probably why it's so slow.

Thanks for the explanation! That makes me feel better that there is a real reason why it’s so slow. Better safe than sorry!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Pinkmartini, that's also what I found out recently. Same with fedex and Co.
This also means, you get te same 'extra-protection' wether you inscure 2000 or 9000.
Pay they don't anyways, IMHO, but you get THE SAME care if you insure only the lowest possible value at lowest cost.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results