shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got Diamond, Please give me some input on what should be a "Fair" price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

talon524

Rough_Rock
Hi, Newbee here, 2nd post. Just got the diamond I chose and the mount....WOW it looks great, but I not an expert, so....fire away with your advise, opinions and comments....thx. (I have read most of the comments going back a yr or so about Leo diamonds and how/why they are, do I dare say better than a non-Leo diamond.....Please no yelling at me by some....it''s almost Christmas
1.gif
)

LEO Diamond
1.21 Ct. Marquise Modified Brilliant Cut
9.98 x 5.67 x3.78 MM
1.21 Ct.
SI(2)
G Color
Depth: 66.6%
Table: 58%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Very Thick, Faceted
Cutlet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluor: None

Appraisal is from IGI (International Gemologial Information)

It also has a fancy paper called GEMEX Light Perf. Analysis.
It shows a normal diamond and then "my" diamond which is rated for White Light= Very High, Color Light=High, and Scintillation= very very high.......(bunch of fancy marketing b.s. or does this really mean a LEO "looks" better than a regular diamond?

SO......to my untrained eye it looks gorgeous.
I have a "slight fear" of going overboard on the anal retentive scale and spending 4 1/2 yrs in a search for the "perfect stone"....ya..ya..when my fiance holds out her hand and her friends look at it (lets just say for matter of fact they left their loops at home), will it look good??

Thanks for all you reply, Happy Holidays....and NO DRINKING & DRIVING....don''t be stupid. You might have a mug shot like Glenn Cambell''s and then your diamond really won''t matter much
1.gif
)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a consumer but an independent appraisal will tell you if the IGI rating is correct. Many on these newsboards have noted that IGI can be a bit liberal with the grading. GIA and AGS lab reports are the best.

Is the Very Thick girdle only on a small portion of the diamond, say at the ends of the marquise otherwise Very Thick is not good as the diamond is retaining weight which you cannot see face up.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Since it's a branded cut, we can't give you an idea of a fair pricing... Maybe 35% more than an usual marquise of the same specs?
confused.gif

One point about the IGI cert: if it has been issued in the USA, be sure to bring the stone to anappraiser which will verify the characteristics. IGI is lax at times.
The paper from GemEx is called BrillianceScope and it's extremely useful when it comes to fancy shapes. In your case, the results are definitely ABOVE average.
1.gif
9.gif

The numbers look good, except the depth... I'd prefer to stay below 65%, but it's not something to stress over. You can have a dog with 62% depth and a stunning stone with 66% depth. So numbers don't tell the whole story...
1.gif

You seem to be very pleased of your choice, and that's the most important point. From your description the stone looks pretty gorgeous!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Didn't know that LEO made fancy shapes, interesting....

I second the suggestion to get it independently appraised. Most of us here don't have a clue on fancy shapes and couple that with the fact that it's a branded stone (Leo), so as Giangi noted, hard to determine what a fair price would have been.

Nice Bscope results (GemEx)...where did you get the stone? Interesting to know that some LEO's come with Bscope. Is your LEO better than the typical marquis stone? Most likely with results like that!! Fancy shapes don't often score as well on the Bscope.

Is a regular round brilliant LEO better than a super-ideal H&A? I would venture to say No. But with a fancy like this, you may have done yourself a great service by finding a diamond with slight cutting differences to give you a great Bscope result on a fancy such as this.

Good luck
1.gif

talon524

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies to my original question; pyramid,
Giangi & Mara.

I don't get a chance to be here everyday, hence the delay in my post.

I got the diamond from Jared Galleria in AZ. As I stated my g/f works there, past 6 mo or so.(she has been in the retail jewerly business for 12 yrs, but not selling anything high end or any loose stones. the typical fine jewerly counter at Rob-May or Filenes type stores.)

She had this stone picked out by a few people she works with that are much more exp. certified dimondtoligist. I know enough info to get me into trouble.
naughty.gif

I have read about the Leo and pros/cons, but for my cost and the way the stone looks in the setting she picked, WOW.
But like most things you always want the unbiased, educated opinion to validate your potential mistake
cry.gif
...oh I mean good descision
appl.gif

So thanks again for your help, happy holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results