shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got 8mm Mikimoto Pearl earrings. Too big?

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I just got a pair of 8mm Mikomoto stud earrings. We were debating between the 7.5mm and 8mm and they didn’t let us try them on so it was hard to decide what size to go with. I ended up getting the larger size thinking that there is Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome similar to DSS.

Do you think 7.5 would have been better? I’m new to pearls so am unsure. Are larger or smaller ones dressier?

I am looking to add a classic size Mikomoto Pearl necklace as well in the future. Is it okay to have the earrings and necklace different sizes?

I’ve attached some photos for reference. I keep looking at them wondering if they are too big. Please excuse my messy hair.

49B20EA2-D0E0-4FF6-A23F-CEB4C784CEB1.jpeg A269CA22-6119-4457-B673-A2612F9C9559.jpeg
542BED4B-E9A1-49AA-940E-BFF3561A1FE9.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I also think they are the perfect size for you and they nestle right into the curvature of your lobe beautifully! (This is coming from someone with 7mm pearls and small ear lobes).

Congrats on your new pearls!

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
They look very proportionate on you.

8-9mm typically is where most end up on the Akoya stud scale, so you chose well.

Usually, studs being about .5-1mm larger than an accompanying strand is what looks most complementary, but everyone is a little different of course. I, personally, would not recommend a strand significantly larger than an accompanying earring pair.

Enjoy your new piece!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got a pair of 8mm Mikomoto stud earrings. We were debating between the 7.5mm and 8mm and they didn’t let us try them on so it was hard to decide what size to go with. I ended up getting the larger size thinking that there is Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome similar to DSS.

Do you think 7.5 would have been better? I’m new to pearls so am unsure. Are larger or smaller ones dressier?

I am looking to add a classic size Mikomoto Pearl necklace as well in the future. Is it okay to have the earrings and necklace different sizes?

I’ve attached some photos for reference. I keep looking at them wondering if they are too big. Please excuse my messy hair.

49B20EA2-D0E0-4FF6-A23F-CEB4C784CEB1.jpeg A269CA22-6119-4457-B673-A2612F9C9559.jpeg
542BED4B-E9A1-49AA-940E-BFF3561A1FE9.jpeg

Beautiful
Perfect size
yes pearl shrinkage is real !
Enjoy

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They look very proportionate on you.

8-9mm typically is where most end up on the Akoya stud scale, so you chose well.

Usually, studs being about .5-1mm larger than an accompanying strand is what looks most complementary, but everyone is a little different of course. I, personally, would not recommend a strand significantly larger than an accompanying earring pair.

Enjoy your new piece!

Good to know
thank you

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
The studs look perfect on your lobes! And the color looks great on you, too. Very classic and timeless choice—congrats!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you everyone for all your kind words!

I wasn’t used to how far the pearl sticks out on my ear.

But I feel much better now about the purchase. Thank you =)2

If you are concerned about how far the pearl sticks out - and yes, this can be an issue, rather than diameter, consider button pearls in future. You get the dome from the front but a flat base which sits closer to your ear. Cheaper too!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
They are the perfect size on you!! I think you will get used to the 3D nature of the pearls. Gorgeous pearls, by the way. Very classy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!! And lovely on you - the perfect size!

And goodness, if your hair is messy then mine is irredeemable :bigsmile: You are beautifull!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I’m jealous of your earlobes. Mine are too small for 8 mm. It’s perfect on you!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are absolutely perfect!

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
They look perfect on you! I know what you mean about the pearls standing out from your ear but you will get used to it.All perfectly round pearl earrings do it.I was a bit put off at first, but now I love the look of mine=)2

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
With the other ladies, I also think they look perfectly sized. I'm happy for you - they are lovely, classic earrings.

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
Definitely the right size and they look gorgeous on you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO they are the perfect size on you. Classic elegance and sophistication. Gorgeous. :love:

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
Like everyone else, I think this size is lovely on you! Congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results