shape
carat
color
clarity

Just found this emerald

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.1 ct. Old. I don’t know what to think of it. It is darker, not my favorite one (my favorite one is lighter and brilliant green). I want to certify and maybe re-oil it if need be. If it is oiled. The middle photo is probably the closest to the real color, but still far. It is dark but glows bluish.

Attachments

• 70CD99C1-531C-4CF1-8789-E5D30DC7FBA5.jpeg
    70CD99C1-531C-4CF1-8789-E5D30DC7FBA5.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 519C3CA5-187C-4F46-B311-D72D961EF3E2.jpeg
    519C3CA5-187C-4F46-B311-D72D961EF3E2.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 38
  • E7DED03D-4F66-42B9-87C2-97C2FC794EF3.jpeg
    E7DED03D-4F66-42B9-87C2-97C2FC794EF3.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 40

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want opinions on it? It is so hard to decipher emeralds from photos.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want opinions on it? It is so hard to decipher emeralds from photos.

I want a very honest opinion, TL. It was a ring bought a while ago, so even if it is meh, I won’t be upset, merely replace the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color, but it’s so hard to tell clarity from photos.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, it is an old stone. I probably need to certify it and depending on the level of treatment, re-oil. I think it can improve the quality. I shall keep you posted. The setting alone costs something. I have a very bad eye for emeralds, the very few that I liked were very expensive.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s very pretty. I like the setting too. I think of the old stock emeralds as being that rich green color. Lots of personality. Enjoy!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you re oil, you’ll have to do it every few years, unless you use one of the more modern polymers like opticon. I never re oiled mine for that reason. I actually like the fact that the oil dried up so I can see how they really look. When I first bought them, the clarity was superb, but now I can see more inclusions, and they still have reasonable clarity. I guess I don’t care for clarity enhancement.

Does the stone have reasonable clarity?

It looks Muzo color, but it could be Zambian. I personally find Zambians flatter and not as velvety as Muzo. It’s hard to tell that velvety quality from photos.

Last edited:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Great color! What did you end up doing with this @Arkteia? The clarity seems a little less good, like you said the oil likely came out.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great color! What did you end up doing with this @Arkteia? The clarity seems a little less good, like you said the oil likely came out.

Thank you!
(Ironically, IRL the clarity looks better).
These are old stones. I have a few that need to be re-oiled. One is 4 ct.
I can’t find anyone who’d do it in WA (there should be, right?).
I want to re-oil 3-4 stones and see how they look like. After that, decide.
So any advises about reliable re-oilers are appreciated.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you re oil, you’ll have to do it every few years, unless you use one of the more modern polymers like opticon. I never re oiled mine for that reason. I actually like the fact that the oil dried up so I can see how they really look. When I first bought them, the clarity was superb, but now I can see more inclusions, and they still have reasonable clarity. I guess I don’t care for clarity enhancement.

Does the stone have reasonable clarity?

It looks Muzo color, but it could be Zambian. I personally find Zambians flatter and not as velvety as Muzo. It’s hard to tell that velvety quality from photos.

Hard to tell. It is old enough. Could be Zambian, could be Brazilian, could be Colombian. Definitely from at least 1970es, and if earlier... where were they mined? Colombia, India, Russia?

There is something about emeralds I can’t fathom. That amount of cracks and oil. I saw a 16-ct Colombian. Beautiful from afar. All in oil close by.

And I think this is why emerald is not my stone, and green garnets - are.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Too bad because really, not all emeralds are all oil and cracks. I do love demantoids, so I too love something else green. That said emeralds are by far my most favorite CS and I guess all the time I am Split about whether my favorite stone is diamond or emerald. But then there are so many kind of diamonds and I am mainly an FCD or antique diamond girl. On the other hand, I have been into CS far before I have been into diamonds and emeralds were special to me ever since I heard and read about them as a little girl.

If I were you and you have such nice stones take them to an appraiser. The color is somewhat similar to my Panjshir which is the same age as yours. Not that it means anything, yours could have a different origin of course. I am really curious though. I guess by today I have discovered that my Panjshir does not fluoresce the same way Colombian material does. I see nuances, glow, sheen in an entirely different way.

Perhaps the special story of my stone contributed to my favoriting emeralds. The inclusions do not really bother me but I prefer transparent and what is considered as clean in emeralds too.

I hope you can find the passion for your emeralds. Maybe part of that lacking is that there is relatively little talk about them and very few people really know them.

I think that the other girls here can most likely refer you to someone who can appraise and further refer you to get your stone. I for one would love to know what you find out and would love to see more pix of your beautiful emerald jewelry.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you!
(Ironically, IRL the clarity looks better).
These are old stones. I have a few that need to be re-oiled. One is 4 ct.
I can’t find anyone who’d do it in WA (there should be, right?).
I want to re-oil 3-4 stones and see how they look like. After that, decide.
So any advises about reliable re-oilers are appreciated.

There is a vendor in David Klass' building who has done a fantastic job re-oiling DW's emeralds. DKJ had the emeralds re-oiled for us whilst they were making some modifications to the settings. The emeralds do need to be out of their settings to go thru the process. Here is a LINK to the thread that describes our first re-oiling adventure.

There is always a very slight risk when taking an emerald out of its setting and then putting it thru the re-oiling process. The cost of re-oiling is miniscule compared to the cost of an emerald, so I imagine all concerned might be a bit reluctant to take on this risk for a brand new customer, unless that customer understands and agrees to the risk.

I may be wrong, but I think AGL, when determining the level of treatment, counts the total volume of surface reaching fractures, both oil filled and empty fractures that could become oil filled if the stone was re-oiled. This prevents vendors gaming their system.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does how it “looks” annoy you? I wouldn’t bother unless it does because it will cost money to unset, oil and reset and unless you intend selling you don’t need a lab report. It is always assumed emeralds are oiled as unoiled ones are rarer.
i think it’s lovely just as it is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results