shape
carat
color
clarity

just for fun, what do you think of this 1.5 princess..pics too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

courtneyclv

Shiny_Rock
I went to a broker today and this is what I looked at. I am not buying it because it is a bit over my pricerange. (because I need to try to buy my center stone from this store I have an upgrade credit from.

My mall jeweler is on a search to find a similar ring that is about the same price and size.

What do you think? (i think the facets look kind of funky..)

Princess cut

G
SI1

6.11 by 6.00 by 4.41

depth 73.5%
table 72%
polish very good
symmetry good
girdle med. to very thick
flourescence none
culet none
EGL USA certified
$9000 out the door

He also has another that just came in..
I (looks less yellow than an H I looked at)
VS1
table of 78%
$8000

ccring3.jpg

courtneyclv

Shiny_Rock
a close up

ccsring2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, Courtney! I don''t know enough about princess stones to comment, but I think it''s good that you went to look! It sounds like the broker wasn''t really offering a big discount. But the more you see, the more you''ll feel confident when you finally find the right stone!

courtneyclv

Shiny_Rock
last one...

ccring1.jpg

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
hi courtney,

based on the princesses i looked at (also was looking for a 1.50 ct) this one seems on the small side based on the dimensions. i think the general range is 6.5x6.5 and most i looked at were at least 6.25x6.25 and upwards. the one i got was a 1.64 ct that was 6.35x6.35. i think you mentioned wanting a sizable stone...so you''ll probably want larger dimensions in conjunction with the weight.

my other comment is that the symmetry seems a little off - i think that''s what you thought looked funky. in a princess, which by nature should be symmetrical since it''s usually square, i''d go for a GIA very good symmetry at the least. but that''s just my preference. look online for princesses with VG symmetry that are GIA and i think you''ll see what i mean. that might address the "funkiness" factor you mentioned.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of the price or the quality or the certs or its looks. I think this will be a valuable example for other people about realistically the level of stones & prices "brokers" offer.

There are so many aspects of a purchase to consider ... i wonder how much difference in actual face up size this 1.5 has to the 1.22 you passed up at the jewelers for being too small ... make sure you look at physical size - not just carat weight.

Did you find out if the CCSB is back on the market? Or are you now only considering stones for the local jewelry store?

Hang in .. I'm sure you'll find your stone!

ETA: in my opinion (and many professionals I've spoken to) symmetry: good *really* means symmetry:bad or "fair" ... it the lowest rating you generally see. Look around ... you won't see many "fair" or "poor" ratings ... and EGL is one of the most loose grading labs ... the color was probably 1-2 grades lower than comperable GIA or AGS graded stones ... other areas as well.

Also ... very thick girdle almost guarantees a poor cut ... the stone is "hiding" its weight in a place that doesn't benefit the looks of the stone (in facets/brilliance OR size/spread)

If you're set on princesses ... look up the ideal cut range of specs on the stone. There are lots of tools here on pricescope to research it. Maybe one of the princess experts around here knows how to link it for you. I'm not saying you NEED to get an ideal stone .. you may choose size versus ideal cut in your price range ... but you should probably know enough to know WHY whatever stones you're looking at are priced as they are ...what's "good" about a stone & what is "less good". What compromising you're make BEFORE you buy, not afterwards.
2.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
buy an Ideal Scope.

courtneyclv

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I think that the measurements made it look small. And the funkiness was the symmetry. It looked to me like it was almost 'uneven' and not symmetrical when viewing under the scope. I don't have an ideal scope, or I would have brought it with me! haha. And yes, I was hoping for a great deal, I didn't think he had one..maybe on the I color above?

The 1.21 stone is still in the setting I am going to get. The specs of it are...
F color
SI1
No graining, No flourescence
cutlet- none

5.82 by 5.68 by 4.18

depth 73.6
table width 71%
crown 13%
pavillion 57%
girdle medium/faceted
symetry good/very good
polish good/very good

This stone is $7200 and I will take it..but would like larger if at all possible, lower color,maybe lower clarity.

I do HAVE to get my center stone from the jeweler..bf says. (will save us $3700) So..I am speaking to my saleslady this weekend. She knows to look around a half a carat, G or H color, SI2 if eye clean. I can spend about $8500 at the most. She knows I have been looking elsewhere but also knows I want to use my trade in..so I am sure she can help me out. The last time she only showed me one carat princess cuts that were around $6500 I belive (because she knew my price range) But now that it has gone up a bit, there should be more options I hope.

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
1ct princess for 6500? isn''t that a bit expensive?

courtneyclv

Shiny_Rock
Ok, maybe they were 6000. and maybe they were over 1 ct by a little. I don''t remember exactly.

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
yep sorry I just checked and they''re right on that price range for ideal cuts..
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results