shape
carat
color
clarity

Just Engaged - Second Hand Ring Question!

sarahsmith13

Rough_Rock
Hello.

I have just got engaged and have recently moved to London, so wondered if anyone had any recommendations for jewellers in Hatton Garden/north London/west London that they have used for second hand/antique diamond rings.

We have a budget of £4 - 5000 and I'd love either three stones or a cluster ring.

Any advice would be grateful!

Thanks.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!

I don't have a specific suggestion for you in the UK -- however, a lot of the UK members have purchased either loose diamonds or entire rings from online vendors in the US and had them shipped to the UK. With your budget (5k pounds = $8k USD), you can get a nice (new) ring, no need to go second-hand.

If you really want to go with a UK-based vendor, bluenile has a UK storefront. We tend to slam BN in the US (because they tend to be more expensive than other US-based online vendors), but it may be a viable option for you in the UK because the customer service will be locally based and the diamonds will have GIA or AGS certs (avoid the IGI and EGLs that you may see locally).

If you really like the idea of a vintage piece, check out Jewels by Erica Grace:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproductions_rings
Lots of antique rings, great customer service, and tons and tons of pictures before you purchase. Oh yes, and for your budget, you could get 3-5 cluster rings from JbEG.

HTH!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I'd really consider looking at what Jewels by Erica Grace has also, as antelope recommended, I have purchased from them.
Being from London myself originally, I know it's going to cost you more to buy locally than most other vendors in the UK, simply due to location.
Your funds, due to the exchange rate with the US $, are going to get you much more over in the US. JbEG are very reputable, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them from out of country, many have, myself included.

Good luck in your search

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! Welcome to sunny London!

Hatton Garden is so expensive. There's a jeweler whose windows and website I love to peek in on, but way too pricey for what you get for me. I too imported my ring when I got engaged and moved to London years ago. Rings seemed so much less expensive in the US compared to London. If you're willing to drive out a bit there are some lovely vintage jewellery stores in other areas that I've been to. I found a shop in Canterbury that I loved, and a friend bought his wife's ring in Battle from these people: http://www.friarhouse.com/... DH and I usually take our holidays taking mini-road trips and walking around smaller towns. I've racked up quite the wish list this way!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3 stone ring - OECs in a yellow gold setting and approx 2.2cttw. They're an I in colour and eyeclean. The cut is exceptionally good on two of the stones and very good on the third.

I spent way under your budget and bought it from one of the vendors in Grays Antiques Market off Bond Street.

If you want something new then I do know a very good jeweller in HG who used to be a cutter for De Beers - he's done some setting work for me and I'm very impressed.

ETA: If you buy from the US then remember to add 25% to the price as this is what you will have to pay in VAT and duty when you import it. I've found that with the current exchange rate it doesn't make sense when it comes to set pieces (no duty on loose stones).

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora|1310049636|2963738 said:
I have a 3 stone ring - OECs in a yellow gold setting and approx 2.2cttw. They're an I in colour and eyeclean. The cut is exceptionally good on two of the stones and very good on the third.

I spent way under your budget and bought it from one of the vendors in Grays Antiques Market off Bond Street.

If you want something new then I do know a very good jeweller in HG who used to be a cutter for De Beers - he's done some setting work for me and I'm very impressed.

ETA: If you buy from the US then remember to add 25% to the price as this is what you will have to pay in VAT and duty when you import it. I've found that with the current exchange rate it doesn't make sense when it comes to set pieces (no duty on loose stones).

Hi Pandora,

Do you recall the name of the vendor @ Grays? Did you purchase it this year?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
John Joseph - purchased in November 2009 (from their stand at Olympia).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results