shape
carat
color
clarity

Just cannot decide between palladium or rose gold

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I am looking at one of the following settings.

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Madison-Round-Halo-Ring-529.htm#
https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-palladium/4775

I wanted rose gold, but my partner doesn't like it - he likes yellow gold but I really don't. His next preference is a white metal. I also am now worried that rose gold is too 'trendy' (even though I've always liked it and love the look of it, and I worry that a white metal is a bit boring/everyone has it). Do you think rose gold is trendy? I keep reading that but every jewellery store I visit has barely any stock of it so it can't be that trendy? It's also hard to tell from the images but the ritani rose gold doesn't look as nice as other rose golds I've seen. Is a white metal halo with a small centre stone (which mine is) a bit juvenile and typical? I want this ring to last me forever. I just can't decide what to go with for a forever ring. Do I factor in what my partner likes or does it really not matter as he wont be wearing it?

diamonddemon

Rough_Rock
Can't go wrong with palladium. Also does not wear off like gold, acts more like platinum :)

pittin

Rough_Rock
I am a huge fan of palladium. You can't go wrong. Rose gold may wax and wane a little, but I wouldn't worry about that. Follow your own sense of beauty, that's all that matters.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
I just went through this; I had a very hard time deciding between white and rose gold. When I was trying on settings I tried on a rose gold and fell in love with it, and thought "That settles that" ... and then the person showing me the settings said "But do you think you'll get sick of rose gold?" ... and in that moment I realized that yes, there was a big chance I would. So I went with white gold, which is so neutral I know I won't get tired of it, and I'm glad I did.

I do think rose gold is trendy. But it is sooooo pretty.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Palladium will become greyish in comparison to rhodiumed white gold as it patinas...something to take into consideration.

Rose gold doesn't look good on me, and because it doesn't look at home against my skin tone, I feel trendy wearing it. Something that flatters you will always be timeless in my book. So I would suggest you post a pic with rose gold against your skin and a white metal against your skin and see what people say as a feedback.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wanted yellow or rose gold for my ring, and everyone here talked me out of it, because platinum is "neutral". I regret being swayed, and I am doing a rose gold reset. I find that "white" metals aren't white. They're gray, and they darken diamonds and make them colder.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Rose gold stacker was an excellent idea! Best of both worlds. :) Rose is gorgeous! It crossed my mind as well. (normally I wear WG). I was just too afraid of the trend....but a stacker solves that problem! :) GL! Smart suggestion!

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the replies. I took the brilliant advice offered and have taken some photos of the two on my hand (costume jewellery at a department store but I figure it should work for this purpose). Any opinions? I am wondering if rose gold makes me look too flushed? White to follow in next post - I keep uploading the correct pic and it keeps reverting to an old one so I can't put them in the one post unfortunately.

_844.jpeg

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
White

_846.jpeg

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Plain bands - possibly best to see colour without other factors at play

_850.jpeg

_851.jpeg

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
I think it's your ring and you need to get what *you* like. To me, rose gold is much prettier than palladium. It's been around a very long time so no, I don't think it's trendy at all. Also, I've been told palladium is difficult and costly to resize- over the years you may find that your finger size does change, so just something else to consider.

Q

Queenie60

Personally, I feel that the rose gold looks best on your skin tone.

nappes

Rough_Rock
Q

Queenie60

nappes|1448261828|3953002 said:
I just purchased this from Ritani in Rose gold (I had to get them to create a custom sku $1890)
https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-plain-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/11612

I love it, haven't given it to the lady yet but I'm really happy with it

Here is a pic, the stone is 1.6C I color, VVS2. Supposedly negligible fluorescence but its looking slightly blue in very bright sunlight.
img_1087_0.jpg
img_1071.jpg

A couple of little videos here
https://goo.gl/photos/Wnh66XfD1PtR9hN69

B
Wow Nappes - beautiful ring. One lucky lady!

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
nappes|1448261828|3953002 said:
I just purchased this from Ritani in Rose gold (I had to get them to create a custom sku $1890)
https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-plain-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/11612

I love it, haven't given it to the lady yet but I'm really happy with it

Here is a pic, the stone is 1.6C I color, VVS2. Supposedly negligible fluorescence but its looking slightly blue in very bright sunlight.
img_1087_0.jpg
img_1071.jpg

A couple of little videos here
https://goo.gl/photos/Wnh66XfD1PtR9hN69

B
Beautiful ring!! That's very helpful - I initially wanted a plain band but thought for the negligible price difference I may as well get diamonds in the band. The plain band is lovely though. Is it 14 or 18k gold?

nappes

Rough_Rock
Its 18K rose gold. Yeah if you like the pave on the band itself go for it. That was one of the particular things I know my girl didn't want.

Ben

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring, Queenie. :)

To answer the OP:

I'd say go with whatever color you like now. I've lived long enough to see the pendulum swing back and forth a few times, lol. My great grandmother's wedding ring is rose gold. My grandmother had some kind of mid '20s ring that wore out and she had it reset in 2 tone white and yellow gold in the '40s. My mother had a platinum fishtail illusion head ring. In the late '70s, I looked through the Service Merchandise jewelry cases and almost all of their bridal sets and e-rings were available in choice of white gold or yellow gold. In the '80s and early '90s, yellow gold "bold gold" was *the* look. By mid and late '90s, platinum rings started to reappear but all of the offerings were modern, plain-Jane, and rather utilitarian. Then the pave' antique look and the halos (re)appeared in the early 2000s and were in full swing by 2004-2005. Yellow gold dropped off the face of the earth and platinum and white metals took over. Then we gradually started to see some yellow gold and white/yellow 2 tone antique pave' and halo looks trickle in. Then rose gold.

When my mother's original e-ring got a broken shank in the '70s and needed the prongs retipped because the diamond was falling out, she could not even find a local jeweler who worked in platinum! She had it reset in a modern white gold mounting. Jewelers said platinum was "to hard to work with."

Palladium was originally used because of a scarcity of platinum. The working I've heard about palladium for years now is that it's difficult to resize a palladium ring and still have a durable ring after that. Some say it's "hard to work with."

Rose gold, not that many years ago, "they" said could only be made in very limited styles because it was brittle and "hard to work with."

Rose gold can range from copper color to peach, depending on the amount of gold vs. copper in the alloy. 9k or 10k is going to be more copper than 18k. You maybe can compromise with your mate and go more peach than copper color? Whatever. In the end, YOU are the one wearing the ring, so you should be happy with it. If you can't decide, get a sim ring, something inexpensive in a rose gold color and wear it for a while.

I had a YG e-ring that I received in early '90s. In 2004, I divorced and I bought myself white gold and platinum diamond rings, and I was thrilled with the novelty of white metals after the '80s and '90s being all about bold yellow gold. Now it's 11 years later, and I've started wearing my yellow gold stuff again. I want some rose gold now, and I've been planning to have a large diamond reset into rose gold but haven't gotten around to it yet. The Internet has opened up HUGE treasure troves of SELECTION to today's buyers, and we no longer have to settle for what is sold at the local mall shop, or what's hot and trendy now. We can literally buy from a global marketplace, and have a person across the country or in another hemisphere make a custom ring for us. Diversity.

As for "forever ring," there's no such thing. They all wear out. My mother and grandmother wore their rings daily, and necessity eventually forced them to reset theirs. And let's face it: Sometimes, a new and prettier style gets introduced and who would not want to switch? Some of the late '60s and early '70s bridal jewelry looked gawdawful to me as a kid, and looks even more gawdawful to me now and there's NO way I'd wear some of that particular crap, ever. If you get tired of the original e-ring, you can always have a colored gem put in it and keep it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dislike how palladium wears; it goes from shiny white to a dark gunmetal gray, almost blackish in colour.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold is very pretty on you! I think that it will let your diamond pop and be the star!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a palladium setting that I have owned for about six years. I have only had it polished once. It definitely hasn't worn like platinum. It is much brighter and still more polished. There is absolutely no warmth to it. It is much more lightweight than any other metal but it doesn't bend at all. I never take it off and I garden, etc. It hasn't darkened or anything.

All of that being said, I don't like my setting at all and have regretted buying it from the day I got it from the jeweler. Why?? Well, besides the poor craftsmanship of the bench (local jeweler,) my heart was with several rose gold settings and I didn't follow it. I had all of the same worries as you and even now, several years later, I am still wanting rose gold. I will be resetting my ring for Christmas, finally!

So, I say, go with your heart and get the rose gold because you will most likely regret anything else...

Here are two photos of my palladium setting, just to show you the wear after six years. I'm not sure if they portray how bright the setting really is, but there is no dull steeliness to it.

img_2261_0.jpg
img_2260_0.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1448294643|3953100 said:
I dislike how palladium wears; it goes from shiny white to a dark gunmetal gray, almost blackish in colour.

I think it depends on the alloy. My palladium ring is still as shiny and white as the day I got it. Also, people warned me that palladium scratches easily, but I haven't found that to be the case with my piece.

pittin

Rough_Rock
Palladium has a specific gravity of 12.2 and platinum has a specific gravity of 21.54. This means that platinum is more dense and significantly heavier than platinum. But, they're both platinum group metals and their properties are generally the same. Palladium should develop a lovely patina, just like platinum. Those who have experienced their palladium pieces darkening or losing luster may have something going on with the alloys in the mix. Palladium itself should maintain its luster equivalent to platinum. Palladium shouldn't scratch and more or less easily than platinum.

Not as many jewelers work with palladium, which is a legitimate issue, but larger cities should have plenty of palladium-capable jewelers. Palladium is also just as rare and precious as platinum, it is a shame more folks don't utilize it. But that keeps the cost lower.

But if you like the rose gold more, then go for rose gold. It is a beautiful look.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I just went and spoke to two jewellers and both said rose gold will oxidise and go dark and look dirty. Every time I make a decision it comes undone but I think I'll stick to my plan as everything I tried on in white gold doesn't feel like 'me'. One mentioned it just as a 'just be aware' but said he will minimise visible metal and the metal that is there will stay fresh from daily wear, but the other was trying hard to turn me off rose gold. The former also was an actual jeweller vs a sales person. I think I may go CAD with him. He was not trying hard to sell, had solid advice, and I just got the feeling it will be good to work with him. The other game me a quote but I am just not sure that they care about my little ring in their flash shop. The stone size for the melee that j like in real life is 3 pointer, and the yoni ring is much smaller than that so I am put off that one now. I am not sure about the ritani but I don't think they are close to 3 pointer? Plus being in Australia a local warranty is a definite advantage. Just have to decide if I want stones on the shoulders or not - gah I am terrible at decisions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results