shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought the engagement ring! Hello from Malaysia!

goldwave84

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Its my first time posting as I bought the ring and wanted to be part of a community :) :dance: :dance:

I also have a question on the ring. Please have a look at it and let me know if you think based on the design, could the diamond be at higher risk of falling out due to the design?

xotnced.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome and congrats!!!
It's a beautiful ring. Based on this photo I cannot determine whether the risk of the stone falling out would be high or low. Is it a platinum ring? You can always consider to bring it to a jeweller you trust who can check the setting. It's advisable to have your ring checked regularly anyway.

goldwave84

Rough_Rock
It it white gold actually. The brand that sold it has been around for 50 years and is reputable based on brand name. My diamond is also certified. I was wondering, based on the space below the diamond, would it be a cause for concern? It is a 4 pronged design and each prong looks thick and sturdy. I am concerned about that space tho...

I have 1 week to return for an exchange, if need be.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY cool setting!! Has this long-term company had issues with safety of their diamonds?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! Please post closer up pics of the ring and the prongs.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very beautiful, but very exposed and high set. I'd be careful with your hands!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS! :wavey: It looks like a beautiful ring, but we normally advise against very high settings like this due to the increased possibility of hitting the ring on things and maybe chipping or cracking it or even loosening prongs causing the stone to fall out. I generallt recommend a medium set diamond that has the bottom of the stone set just at or above the shank height which is normally around 2mm high. This seems to be set several mm higher than that.

eirwen

Rough_Rock
Would you mind sharing the specs of the ring? I used to live in Malaysia years ago, from what I recall the brand tends to mark up the price of their products. Maybe the PS community here could see if you got a reasonable deal on the ring (on top of commenting on the design), if the ring can still be returned.

FYI, loose diamonds are exempted from import tax into Malaysia. You can easily source a local jeweller to set the diamond. I think price wise works out better. I paid 1/2 on my 0.7ct platinum ring compared to what I would've paid had I bought it from a brick and mortar shop in Malaysia.

Hope you don't mind me sharing my 2 cents :)

goldwave84

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the kind words about the ring. When I get home I shall post more pictures of the ring. Based on the replies, it looks like I might need to change the ring? Could the space between the diamond and the base be the biggest issue then? Any feedback would be fantastic :shifty:

goldwave84

Rough_Rock
HI all,

I'm back and brought pics! Ok, here are diff angles of my original ring. Its 0.42 triple Excellent certified by GIA.

From what you can see, would the design have a higher chance of damage?

20160206_003314.jpg

20160206_003332.jpg

20160206_003348.jpg

20160206_003430.jpg

goldwave84

Rough_Rock
Anyway,
As a backup, I got the shop to send me some other pictures that fit into my budget if I do plan to return it.

What do you think? Sorry for the potato quality, it was taken by the shop assistant.

img-20160204-wa0012.jpg

img-20160204-wa0010.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer the second setting. It looks a bit more delicate (less metal), and I think the stone would be very safe. But it's up to you what you prefer :)

eirwen

Rough_Rock
I prefer 2nd setting too..

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like setting # 2.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer setting #2. However you have chosen #1 because it made your heart sing. Follow your heart. That will lead yoi in the right direction.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results