shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought my girlfriend''s engagement ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MATTMAN

Rough_Rock
Greetings, I''m new to the forum and to diamonds in general. 5 months ago I didn''t really even know what the 4C''s were! I just got home last week with the engagement ring I''m going to give my girlfriend next month.
1.gif
I think I got a great deal, but what do you guys think? It''s a .72c, E, VS1, Strong Blue, from GIA. I paid $3000 for it and it''s beautifully set in a platinum solitaire. It looks as white as can be to me, but what''s the strong blue all about? I certainly don''t see any blue when I look at it!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Matt!
wavey.gif
Welcome to the Forum!

Here's a link to the section of the Tutorial that talks about Fluorescence.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

Read thru the info and see if it helps.

Congrats on your Engagement and upcoming Wedding!!
1.gif

MATTMAN

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link! So did I get a good deal or should I be concerned?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I can't comment on price because there isn't enough info on the diamond or the set. Pricing on diamonds is a function of all 4 C's - CUT, color, clarity, and carat weight. You can have 2 equal carat weights, color, and clarity diamonds. One will cost more than the other based solely on CUT. Maybe you can post info from the Cert about the diamond,..... Total depth %, diameter, crown and pavillion percents. Style of the set and metal will help folk give you an idea how you did on price.

In your case, Strong Flour in an E colored diamond actually worked for you price wise. D/E/and F with Strong Flour trade at a discount. If the diamond does not look oily or milky in sunlight then you are fine.
2.gif

Telling my age here, but..... 30 years ago, your diamond would have been highly sought after. Blue-White diamonds were all the rage. A Blue-White tends to throw off the most marvelous flashes of blue color. And their great at night around black lights too! It can be quite entertaining to see your diamond glowing!
9.gif

Congrats on the upcoming engagement!!
1.gif

MATTMAN

Rough_Rock
Ok, here are the specs. I'm just trying to make sure I got a decent deal, and the strong blue fluor shouldn't have made the diamond even cheaper.

.72c, E, VS1

Depth 78.2%
Table 65%
Girdle Slightly thick to very thick
Culet None
Polish Good
Symmetry Fair
Fluorescence Strong Blue

Paid $2500 for the diamond. Looks beautiful, but I hope she won't be concerned about the fluoresence. That E color grade sure makes it look white and it sparkels like you wouldn't believe!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it a fancy cut...?

I don't think you overpaid necessarily. SB fluor will discount the stone quite heavily...but BN's prices are usually a bit marked up over other online retailers...so maybe it evened out.

But sounds like you love the stone, so be happy with it. The blue fluor should make it light up blue in specific lighting.
2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I noticed that I actually liked the florescence in some stones that were F colored, in radiant stones I looked for, because it made them whiter/bluer like a D! I couldn't afford a D, so that made it a nice compromise. Eventually I decided against it, but I would not rule it out. I never went with anything above "Medium", but it's all in the appearance. 1/3 of stones mined have florescence in some level, so it's very likely...

By the depth, it doesn't sound round...What shape is it? Princess?

MATTMAN

Rough_Rock
Yes! It is a princess cut. Do those specs sound about right?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the thick girdle and fair symmetry grade are red flags to me. But if you like it and you're happy with it, that's all that really matters.

I wouldn't worry about the fluorescence. $2500 seems like a good price based on pricescope comps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results