shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought large pearl drops!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I have been talking to Pearl Paradise about their largest loose metallic drop white freshwaters which is 10-11mm, and I was sad to learn that they don't come in pairs. All the metallic drop pearls in size 10-11mm are too different from one another for earrings, they said. I have the PP metallic drop earrings on a shepherd's hook in 9-10mm but would love something bigger.

Tonight in a local jeweler I bought some lovely large white pearl drops. They are 14mm long and they are a little marked, but the luster is very nice and they were really inexpensive at $35. They are set on sterling silver leverbacks, so they articulate nicely.

I can't seem to find white drop pearls this large at the usual vendors, and it's true that they are somewhat marked, but you can't see that when they're on, only the nice luster, and I am loving this large-pearl dangle look. I feel like quite the dowager with them on! I've been looking at the late Princess Di's large pearl earrings on the Royal Jewels thread and really wishing for a large pair that won't cost too much, and now I have them! Yay! I'll post pics tomorrow.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
I can't wait to see it. I was thinking of big white drops myself after seeing Kate Middleton always wearing her big white pearl drops.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, Bailey! That's what set me off, too! Her drops look nice and large and fat. I don't think they have the best luster, though. I think the vendors here have nicer ones.

On closer inspection, my pair aren't perfectly matched; one pearl is 14 x 10mm and the other is 14 x 9, and when they are next to each other you can see the difference. But they look fine on either side of my head. They're hardly the best quality for $35, but they do look big!

I hope you get a nice big fat pair too, Bailey!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bailey, these are somewhat different, and are 12mm long: http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-earrings/pistachio_tahitian_pearl_earring_leverbacks_tepl.htm

Or these South Seas, which go up to 12.9mm http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/south-sea-pearl-earrings/champagne_south_sea_pearl_earrings_leverbacks_welr_c.htm

I don't know what your budget is, but these South Sea pearls go up to 12mm for $208. http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/south-sea-pearl-earrings/argentium_south_sea_pearl_leverbacks_wela.htm

Tahitianpearls.biz is a reputable vendor here and seems to stock pearls in larger sizes than other vendors, and the prices are good although many of the options are for baroque, circled, or lightly marked pearls. But it's a good option if you want the large-pearl look at a lower price, I think.

The earrings linked above are inexpensive South Sea pearls, but you would get South Sea bragging rights nevertheless! And with the first pair, you'd get pistachio-Tahitian bragging rights. The ones I bought today are large but only freshwaters.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The difficulties with pairing up big drops is that the bigger the pearl the more opportunities for both flaws and a mismatch...so the slightest difference in colour, overtone, shape, or lustre will be that much more visible. As the OP says, a slight difference should be acceptable in wear as there is a head in between the two earrings but when packed for sale in a box the slightest discrepancy shows up and the earrings will usually be rejected and returned

Nokelman

Rough_Rock
It would be nice, if you can show your own items. It seems like they should be just great!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Why do you not post photos? It's no fun not seeing your purchase, use your phone!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+ 1

Never announce a purchase unless you're prepared to share pics ; )

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will post pics as soon as possible! It was night time last night when I came home at 9pm flush with the excitement of the purchase, and you need daylight to photograph white pearls! Also, technology bores me rigid so I only have a dumbphone right now. I'm working on it. Just charging up my camera and will post pics in a couple of hours. :wavey:

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Looking forward to seeing your new whoppers :))

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arghhhhh! Someone has upgraded my computer without telling me and now I basically don't know how to use it. Also my camera cable is broken so doing images has become a ten-step process. I want to kill someone. With my bare hands.

It's only taken me an hour to take and edit one photo.

Maybe by midnight I'll have three uploaded!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, someone changing my entire computer has pretty much ruined the pleasure of taking these photos. Stay away from the latest windows at all costs - a five-step process is now a multi-step process. For example, every time you save a photo, the entire photo program closes.It's taken me about three hours to do these photos. I turn my computer on and it's a completely different machine. What a thoroughly unpleasant surprise.

Since my frustration levels are through the roof, I hope you enjoy the photos. They're not much but they're the best I can do with my computer and camera all broken.

34758.jpg

4757.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Are they full drilled? I can see not a perfect pair but plenty big.
I've heard to avoid windows 10 so I have. Still on 7 even thought it tries to upgrade on me every day

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More photos. Not very good but I've tried to show that they are big. I think they're relatively Kate-like, and you can't argue with the price at $35. Wendy, yes, I think they are full-drilled, and you are very sensible to stay on Windows 7.

fhyy.jpg

pearl_-_copy.jpg

3478578.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearlescence|1449401848|3958189 said:
The difficulties with pairing up big drops is that the bigger the pearl the more opportunities for both flaws and a mismatch...so the slightest difference in colour, overtone, shape, or lustre will be that much more visible. As the OP says, a slight difference should be acceptable in wear as there is a head in between the two earrings but when packed for sale in a box the slightest discrepancy shows up and the earrings will usually be rejected and returned

That's very interesting, and it makes sense about people returning them. A pity, as your head is indeed between them!

pencilcase

Rough_Rock
Ooohhh those are pretty! They make quite a statement against your hair. I hope you enjoy them for a long time!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're a great size, Jambalaya! And for $35? You made out, really.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, pearlsngems and pencilcase! I really wanted a large pair because I was looking at pics of Princess Di and she had this long pair of drop-shaped pearls that were particularly large, much bigger than these for sure. I wanted a similar look but didn't want to spend too much. I don't mind irregular shapes or even blemishes and marks, but I wouldn't have bought these if the luster hadn't been pretty nice. The photos 3rd and 4th down show what they look like luster-wise.

It's funny how I started off buying small 7mm pearls about five years ago and now I'm just going bigger and bigger!!

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
Jambalaya|1449377317|3958141 said:
Bailey, these are somewhat different, and are 12mm long: http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-earrings/pistachio_tahitian_pearl_earring_leverbacks_tepl.htm

Or these South Seas, which go up to 12.9mm http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/south-sea-pearl-earrings/champagne_south_sea_pearl_earrings_leverbacks_welr_c.htm

I don't know what your budget is, but these South Sea pearls go up to 12mm for $208. http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/south-sea-pearl-earrings/argentium_south_sea_pearl_leverbacks_wela.htm

Tahitianpearls.biz is a reputable vendor here and seems to stock pearls in larger sizes than other vendors, and the prices are good although many of the options are for baroque, circled, or lightly marked pearls. But it's a good option if you want the large-pearl look at a lower price, I think.

The earrings linked above are inexpensive South Sea pearls, but you would get South Sea bragging rights nevertheless! And with the first pair, you'd get pistachio-Tahitian bragging rights. The ones I bought today are large but only freshwaters.

Thanks for the info Jambalaya! I will keep these in mind.

Your new FW drops are just lovely.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
They are a good size indeed. Enjoy and wear them in good health!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I recently bought several pairs of large drops to hang on huggies I already owned, because I also love that classic look. I was a huge Princess Diana fan, and I like Kate's drop earrings, too.

All the pearl vendors who went to Hong Kong a few months ago sent out e-mails asking if people on their e-mail list wanted them to look for anything special for them, so I thought, "Why not?" PP wasn't able to find what I was looking for, but Kevin from POJ found me 12 mm metalic drops with a very slight baroque shape, but incredible orient. I also found a pair of perfectly matched 14 mm drops on Kojima website. Kojima has some lovely pairs of different types in their "Loose Pearls" section of their website. PP had some baroque South Sea pearl drops in very baroque shapes and larger sizes, but I wasn't thrilled with the baroque shapes. I wanted something like Queen Mary would hang off a tiara. Also, after wearing my new drops, I've decided that there is a definitely weight limit to my earlobes.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post pics, BWeaves! :appl:

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the pictures Jambalaya, they are a great size, love love big pearls!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, Go Big or Go Home. Love your new earrings.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Jambalaya|1449507765|3958592 said:
Post pics, BWeaves! :appl:

I already did. You guys have seen them. Here they are again.

My Kojima blue grey baroque drops on my diamond huggies.

img_2218.jpg

My Kojima teardrops on my diamond huggies. They are about 14mm x 9 mm.

img_2216.jpg

My Kojima teardrops worn as earring jackets on pave' diamond studs.

img_2224.jpg

And the big plump Pearls of Joy metallic drops on my diamond huggies, and on oval diamond hoops. They are about 12 x 11 mm. They are much heavier than the Kojima teardrops.

img_2198.jpg

img_2199.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely, BWeaves!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to everybody for the kind comments! :wavey:

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I can't believe I missed your earring posts, so fine, and gorgeous! The pictures are up close and detailed thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results