shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought diamond, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gman246

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone-I have some specs and questions below for a diamond I just bought (21.5% off Rapp of $6500 for E-SI1)

Sarin Report (0''s/1''s in last column are AGS grades)
------------
Cut: Round brilliant
Carat: 1.14
Diameter: 6.66mm (6.63-6.70mm)
Depth: 62.2% (4.14mm)
Crown: 35.6 degrees; 14.4% 0
Pavil: 40.9 degrees; 43.1% 0
Table: 59.5% (3.96mm) 1
Culet: .5% (Very Small) 0
Girdle: 2.3% 1.5% Medium 0 2.7% Sl. Thick 0 0

GIA (same diamond)-11/12/02
-----------------
Laser inscribed
Shape/Cut: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.64-6.70 x 4.10mm
Weight: 1.14 carat
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 60%
Girdle: Med. to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Very Gd
Symmetry: Very Gd
Clarity: SI-1
Color: E
Fluorescence: None

It''s an EXCELLENT SI-1 (borderline VS-2). Loupe shows a tiny crystal on the edge & tiny feather near the edge. Table is clear. Could barely see the crystal w/o loupe.

HCA=4.2 (''Good'' in all; ''Very Good'' spread)

Questions:
-Crown angle is 35.6 (> 34.5)...this a big deal?
-HCA interpretations?
-I''m getting a custom made setting- Platinum, ~.25-.3 baguettes total (straight), (1 on each side), 4 prong basket, ~2-2.5mm thick band. He said it''ll cost ~$1100. Sound good?

THANKS for any opinions/comments!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm.

Crown angle is a little steep as you noted yourself already.

The HCA scoring is a bit of a red flag in my opinion. 4.2 is on a scale of 1-10. Most people aim for scores under 2.0 or at the very least, under 3.0. I wouldn't purchase something in the 3-10 ranges...IMO.

The stone also has a *slightly* smaller diameter than a well cut 1.15c. It should be more around 6.80mm diameter. The stone you bought should look more like a 1.08c than a 1.14c. Small difference--but that is also how you tell how well cut the stone is.

The stone pricing sounds a little steep...esp for the cut grade and also the SI1 designation--I found a 1.15 E SI1 H&A online through Pricescope for pricing comparison and it was $5700. Though a more healthy range may be up to $6k *depending on cut*. If this is an offline purchase, it could explain the jump in pricing a bit...as offline B&M tends to have a slightly higher markup.

The setting pricing sounds good though.

My two cents...

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on Mara... Great minds think alike!
1.gif

Are you happy with the stone?? That's all that matters!

gman246

Rough_Rock
Thanks! The exact price was $5814. I went to about 5 retailer's and 2 wholesalers. This was the best SI-1 (clarity-wise) I saw out of all of them. My eye is good on clarity & color & size, but I really don't have much of a clue on 'brilliance' or 'sparkle' or whatever name you call it. That's why I defer to the numbers on those specs... They all seem to sparkle about the same to me, in dim light or in bright light.

Can you folks really tell a diff. between, let's say, an 'almost' ideal vs-2 and a towkowsky ideal vs-2? Does it really just knock you off the chair?

I'm happy w/ the price give or take 2-3%. I don't mind the extra few dollars given the way I liked the dealer and my trust in him and his ability to get me a nice custom-made setting, etc... He also preferred not dealing in cash-only because he felt it was less safe for me for insurance purposes. Next comes the engagement, the fun part :) when all this debating on the purchase will finally come to an end :).

Thanks again!

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
For insurance purpose you don't need a sale receipt..

You only need a recent appraisal..that's it....

Trichrome.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
i have to agree with mara too. besides it's usually a mistake not to.
2.gif

and giangi has a good point...the main thing is that you're happy with the purchase.

clementine

Shiny_Rock
Yes, my ideal cut (1.3 on HCA) DOES knock your socks off! I have an F SI1 1.64, and it is almost blinding in the sunlight - absolutely breathtaking!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results