shape
carat
color
clarity

Just BARELY got my insurance and lost my ring. Do I file loss? #ashamed

Winamina7905

Rough_Rock
I just barely got my insurance for my engagement ring through Jeweler's Mutual and I've lost my ring.. I feel so ashamed of filing a claim so soon. Should I still file? I'm so devastated and my husband is furious. He's afraid they won't cover the ring. Also how do I cope with a pissed off husband? I keep telling him I'm only human and these kinds of things unfortunately happen all the time...

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't speak to handling a pissed off husband, but yes you should file! That's what insurance is for! Unless the ring was super inexpensive in which case it's not worth it. But if it was an engagement ring or something worth insuring then absolutilrly file a claim!!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's what insurance is for. I would definitely report it. Know they will do an investigation. Make sure you have thought to look EVERYWHERE. Many times things show up, and often in the strangest places.

Winamina7905

Rough_Rock
That's what insurance is for. I would definitely report it. Know they will do an investigation. Make sure you have thought to look EVERYWHERE. Many times things show up, and often in the strangest places.

That's what I'm worried about.. the investigation is gonna be so long it may not even be until 3 months until I get a ring from Jeweler's Mutual...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's what I'm worried about.. the investigation is gonna be so long it may not even be until 3 months until I get a ring from Jeweler's Mutual...
But why would that make you not file a claim?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry you're going through this! Definitely file a claim, because as everyone else has said, that's why you have insurance.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shouldn't take that long. There might be extra scrutiny because of the unusual timing, but they will process your claim efficiently. I would call them and discuss.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t file a claim right now. When I lost my studs not too long after I got them, my insurance company told me to wait several weeks in case I find them.

You will have a mark on your CLUE report for all insurance companies to see.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry ! I was just saying on another thread, I lost a five stone diamond wedding band BEFORE the wedding lol! I know it was in the house and I spent hours searching week after week. I finally gave up. We hadn’t insured it.

Make the claim, there’s a chance they will drop you (based on reviews I have read on Yelp). But I don't see how they can deny paying it if your policy has been paid. P.S. You're husband will get over it...eventually,

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you searched everywhere? Do you think it fell off or did you take it off somewhere?
Re trace your steps from when you last saw it. Check clothes, shoes, handbags, the car, in sofas, the washing machine, the garden. Go through your rubbish bin too.
Hoping it turns up.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
How recently did you insure them? Has the policy officially begun? How confident are you that you won’t find it?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait a week or two and continue to look. But definitely file a claim.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I must agree with the others. Many people pay premiums and never file a claim, some need to file right away.

All of us feel your distress as we know how we would feel in your shoes. Waiting a week, or even two is not a bad idea, but do make a journal of when you noticed it missing, where you have looked, where you think you should look, and then what you found or did not find when you looked there too. With some degree of luck you may find it, but you may not, then you definitely need to file that claim.

I, and the others here, are wishing you great luck in your search.

Wink

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ive had those insurence investigative guys at my house - well not your particular company but they will be cut from the same cloth
the police didn't have a problem believing our garage was burgled but the insurence company were horrible - we did get our payout
so you must stick to your guns and be brave
this is why we all pay premiums
this is what insurence is for
some people might rip off insurence companies but me and im sure you do not
ring up and talk to them on the phone
saddly E rings get lost all the time

out of curiously do you have an idea of where you lost it
as for angry husbands - when you find the answer let me know

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It took us months to find my husband's wedding band and it was ina spot we both looked multiple times before. So as other have said definitely do a thorough search multiple times because you just might find it. Fingers crossed you do!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Winamina7905 I am sorry for the loss of your ring. I will definitely recommend that you speak with JM and inform them of what happened, so at least they have that on records even if you chose to wait a little before you file a claim.

I had my original e-ring stolen and I didn’t have insurance at the time. You are lucky to have it even if you just filed for insurance recently. Things happen and JM is probably the best insurer out there.

When you file through JM, make sure that you select a good jeweler to replace your ring. JM are very generous in allowing you to work with a jeweler of your choice and they just cut a check to the vendor.

Can you tell us more about your ring, diamond specs, original jeweler and insured amount?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you’re upset and emotional right now, and your husband freaking out isn’t helping. Let yourself feel the feelings, but tell him to back off if he’s making you feel worse. Insurance is there precisely for these reasons, and I’m so glad you got it in time. Whatever situation that occurred to cause the loss would’ve happened regardless of you having or not having insurance, so at least you’re protected.

Step 1) cry. scream. panic. but breathe. You are safe. Your husband is safe. It’s just a thing. An expensive thing, but you protected it with insurance just like you should’ve because you’re smart.

Step 2) file the police report just as documentation.

Step 3) when you’ve searched high and low for sure, call your insurance.

It’s also totally ok to make a police report then find it and say “never mind!”

It’s also okay to cry and never find it again, and build another replacement.

It doesn’t matter if it takes 3 months for the investigation. It’s only 3 months. Or 1. Or 1 week. Or 6 months. Whatever. Let them do what they have to do.

You did the right thing.
You did the right thing.
You did nothing wrong.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't wait - in my opinion that looks even more odd. If you find it, then no harm no foul.

File the claim immediately while the details are fresh. Would you wait a few weeks after a flood to file a claim for home insurance?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s suspicious and there’s a good chance you’ll get an siu investigation.
Did you snap pics of it before you lost it? Document those with their time stamps.
Tell the truth.
This happens. An SIU investigation doesn’t meant you won’t get your insurance- just that they will ask more more proof than normal.
They might cancel your policy too. Don’t be surprised by that.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
It’s suspicious and there’s a good chance you’ll get an siu investigation.
Did you snap pics of it before you lost it? Document those with their time stamps.
Tell the truth.
This happens. An SIU investigation doesn’t meant you won’t get your insurance- just that they will ask more more proof than normal.
They might cancel your policy too. Don’t be surprised by that.

Great suggestion on the photos! Another idea, I’d you added insurance before you initially had the ring in hand, you can use your delivery notices and receipts to show you purchased the insurance while awaiting delivery and that you lost it after delivery. If you bought it years ago, got insurance last week and then lost it, this will be more suspicious.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely have my sympathies on this! :doh:It's a horrid feeling, I know coz I lost mine too. Your husband isn't helping either - tell him to cool it. That is precisely what insurance is for! I would keep doing a thorough hunt for it but would report it ASAP and just assume they will investigate... :???:

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I was in your position not so long ago. I lost my e-ring two months into the engagement. I also had it insured with Jeweler’s Mutual. Because I lost it during a move, I spent 3 months sifting through our storage units in the unpacked boxes.

After exhausting all avenues and accepting the loss (I was in denial), I finally filed a claim with JM. They were understanding and asked for a police report due to monetary value, affidavit from moving truck company, and my written statement as to the events that led to the loss. Unfortunately, they did not have a copy of the appraisal on file, though we could swear our original Jeweler sent to them. Nonetheless, they offered to replace with “like-kind” up to our policy cap. Because they didn’t have an appraisal and we couldn’t locate our hard-copy, we supplied all email correspondence detailing the custom design and invoices/receipts. I also sent them a copy of the diamond’s AGS report, photos, etc.

Since the setting was custom and the diamond was a branded “super-ideal”, JM couldn’t use their in-house/contracted bench to reproduce. As such, they permitted me to source a new diamond myself and use any jeweler. Moreover, they were flexible with me using multiple jewelers if warranted (one for the diamond and another for the setting). In the end, I used one jeweler for both.

Additionally, I asked JM to separate the payment authorizations from the completion satisfaction authorizations (whatever they’re called). This ensured that my jeweler got paid to secure the stone, but didn’t automatically bind me to it until I was satisfied with the product in person. By signing off both at once, you’re releasing the jeweler and insurer from making changes if you’re not satisfied (their version of a no-return policy), which I found hard to swallow for a sight-unseen replacement.

Another note: JM would only authorize replacement of a “like” diamond, which in their definition is within 10% of original carat size and within 1 grade in the other Cs. Basically, you can’t replace a .5ct with a 1ct even if your policy cap can afford the 1ct with a cheaper setting. Still, I was able to go from a .63 G VS2 to a .70 F VVS2 because my jeweler convinced them that there weren’t any other branded and non-branded/virtual options available. And this was after I spent a month searching myself and ended up using a concierge service with a PS-recommended vendor.

I cannot guarantee your experience will be similar to mine, as you’ll have to check how your policy is underwritten for any restrictions. Still, I wish you the best and hopefully your husband can forgive you because like you said were only human. Plus, just maybe, this could be an opportunity to upgrade your diamond even if slightly.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’ve used JM in the past and it was a cash payout policy, not replacement. Do they offer both??

@Winamina7905 Do you recall the last time you had the ring?

So sorry you are going through this. I will keep good thoughts that your ring reappears ASAP.

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
By any chance do you have pets or small children? If so, try looking under furniture (under the sofa, etc) and in/under/near anywhere the pets like to sleep. I know so many people who thought they lost a piece of jewelry, only to eventually find it under the sofa (knocked there by a curious cat) or buried in the pet bed.

I've also had luck finding a lost diamond stud earring by waiting until dark, turning off all the lights, and searching by flashlight.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
If you are religious/spiritual, our family prays to St. Anthony, patron Saint of lost and found.

I can't tell you how many times things have just reappeared.

=)2

some places come to mind...
the floor of your car, and between the seats where the track slides.
the laundry hamper
the bottom of your purse ( all of them)
every single pocket, including your apron, if you use one.

Last edited:

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I was in your position not so long ago. I lost my e-ring two months into the engagement. I also had it insured with Jeweler’s Mutual. Because I lost it during a move, I spent 3 months sifting through our storage units in the unpacked boxes.

After exhausting all avenues and accepting the loss (I was in denial), I finally filed a claim with JM. They were understanding and asked for a police report due to monetary value, affidavit from moving truck company, and my written statement as to the events that led to the loss. Unfortunately, they did not have a copy of the appraisal on file, though we could swear our original Jeweler sent to them. Nonetheless, they offered to replace with “like-kind” up to our policy cap. Because they didn’t have an appraisal and we couldn’t locate our hard-copy, we supplied all email correspondence detailing the custom design and invoices/receipts. I also sent them a copy of the diamond’s AGS report, photos, etc.

Since the setting was custom and the diamond was a branded “super-ideal”, JM couldn’t use their in-house/contracted bench to reproduce. As such, they permitted me to source a new diamond myself and use any jeweler. Moreover, they were flexible with me using multiple jewelers if warranted (one for the diamond and another for the setting). In the end, I used one jeweler for both.

Additionally, I asked JM to separate the payment authorizations from the completion satisfaction authorizations (whatever they’re called). This ensured that my jeweler got paid to secure the stone, but didn’t automatically bind me to it until I was satisfied with the product in person. By signing off both at once, you’re releasing the jeweler and insurer from making changes if you’re not satisfied (their version of a no-return policy), which I found hard to swallow for a sight-unseen replacement.

Another note: JM would only authorize replacement of a “like” diamond, which in their definition is within 10% of original carat size and within 1 grade in the other Cs. Basically, you can’t replace a .5ct with a 1ct even if your policy cap can afford the 1ct with a cheaper setting. Still, I was able to go from a .63 G VS2 to a .70 F VVS2 because my jeweler convinced them that there weren’t any other branded and non-branded/virtual options available. And this was after I spent a month searching myself and ended up using a concierge service with a PS-recommended vendor.

I cannot guarantee your experience will be similar to mine, as you’ll have to check how your policy is underwritten for any restrictions. Still, I wish you the best and hopefully your husband can forgive you because like you said were only human. Plus, just maybe, this could be an opportunity to upgrade your diamond even if slightly.

Thanks for sharing. I'm under JM as well and its good to know how their replacement policy actually works.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are religious/spiritual, our family prays to St. Anthony, patron Saint of lost and found.

I can't tell you how many times things have just reappeared.

=)2

some places come to mind...
the floor of your car, and between the seats where the track slides.
the laundry hamper
the bottom of your purse ( all of them)
every single pocket, including your apron, if you use one.
i think i need to get acquainted with St Anthony!

TEH

Rough_Rock
I lost my center stone on July 4th while setting up for a party, I was devastated, I wish it had been the whole ring and I could have used a metal detector. It was a 2.5 ct cushion. I hoped I would find it but i wanted to notify my insurance company of the loss. I contacted them and told them what happened and that I was just notifying them at that time and wanted to continue to look for it before filing a claim. They took all my information and even called me a week later to check if it had been found. I finally filed a claim after a month, we tore the house apart, but think it was actually lost outside. It kills me to think it could be in my yard or flower beds. So, you may want to contact them and just notify them at this time if you think there's a chance you will find it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results