shape
carat
color
clarity

just another newbie...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

his_girl

Rough_Rock
Hi There,

I am a newbie here - I have been reading and lurking for a bit.
I am reading up, as my boyfriend and I are looking to purchase an engagement ring soon.

Before researching, we set a budget together and I decided on a solitaire, white gold setting.
Our budget right now is about $4000. We have only been out of school since the end of last year, and so, cannot afford to spend a lot of $ on a ring. This didn't bother me.

I must say, looking at the rings on PS has given me shrinkage syndrome - and I don't even have my ring yet! Goodness, you have some beautiful rings!!
I know that the budget we have set is a reasonable budget and it is what we can afford right now. I have never really been materialistic, so it kind of shocked me when I began yearing for diamonds like I have seen on the various forums.

Based on our budget, I figure we can get a really good .70-.75 diamond and setting. I'd prefer to get as good a cut as I can afford, while still staying mid-range in regards to colour and clarity.

I actually feel awful for feeling as if I want a larger diamond, as I know my boyfriend is spending what he thinks to be the most feasable amount, while still putting money towards a house and wedding and life in general.

I think that with just spending a lot of time on PS, I have gotten a bit wrapped up in diamonds! :)

I know that I will love whatever he chooses...as the final decision/purchase will be up to him and he is the most wonderful man.

Anyway, I have size 5 / 5.5 fingers and was just wondering how you thought a .70 - 3.4 carat diamond would look.

Hahaha. I just re-read this, and I sound like a spoilt princess. I must say, that's really not me at all.

Thanks for any advice you can give. You all seem so friendly and helpful on here!

love is in the air

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 10:24:36 AM
Author:his_girl

Anyway, I have size 5 / 5.5 fingers and was just wondering how you thought a .70 - 3.4 carat diamond would look.

Hahaha. I just re-read this, and I sound like a spoilt princess. I must say, that''s really not me at all.

Thanks for any advice you can give. You all seem so friendly and helpful on here!

I have very fat fingers and a .71 center stone, and I think it will look fine on your smaller finger ;-) :

DSC01403.jpg

DSC01431.jpg
]

his_girl

Rough_Rock
Thanks.
You have a gorgeous ring!

I think I just got a bit swept away in all the excitement.

Oh my. I was reading through some posts, and I do believe that my boyfriend is posting on PS.

HAHAHhAHAHA.

Thank goodness I didn''t use my name. I''ll be careful not to read his posts, I want to be as surprised as possible. :)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome to ps hg
35.gif

you have an awesome budget and i have no doubt you will find an awesome diamond
2.gif

i posted this pic the other day
the two diamonds on my middle finger (size 5-5.5ish) are both around 5.5mm. the one in the ring is .65ct and the one in the pendant is .59ct (both are aca''s from whiteflash)

ringsonfingers.JPG

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
Hi! You should be able to get a wonderful ring for your budget. Shopping around is always the best bet, so give yourself plenty of time to find the best stone for you. 0.75ct is a very nice sized diamond. I have a 0.55ct ering and it''s perfect in my eyes.
30.gif

The only thing I would be careful about is a white gold setting. Some people have allergic reactions to the nickel in white gold and if you do a search of these forums, you''ll find it happens more than you''d think (it surprised me quite a bit). I''m not saying don''t get white gold, only that you should find out if you''re allergic to nickel so that you can rule out any potential problems. I myself have a slight a problem with white gold, but using an ultrasonic cleaner helped mightily.

Best of luck on your search!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

You have a great budget and the size you mention should look great! There is nothing wrong with loving and desiring bigger diamonds - although .75 is nothing to be sneezed at - however the PS world isn''t the real world, after all, you don''t normally see huge rings out and about!

But I do understand your longing for size, .75 or so is a great size to begin with ( I would have swooned!) if you use a vendor with a trade up policy then as your finances permit you can upgrade!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miss Belle - I need the name and brand of that nail polish please!
3.gif
9.gif

his_girl

Rough_Rock
You have beautiful jewellery!
Thanks for posting that pic.
It gave me a very good indication of how .70 - 3/4 ct will look on my hand.

We are going to be buying online...and I have not been into any jewellery stores around us to try on rings. Maybe I should, just to get an idea of how they actually look on my hand.

his_girl

Rough_Rock
PS posters are so friendly! How quickly you have all responded.

My sister''s friend hasan e-ring that is .60 ct. She is coming over this evening, so I am going to ask if I can try it on. I am sure she won''t mind.

I am toooo excited.
I can''t post too much - like I said before, I am sure that one of the men that are posting on here is my guy. How funny!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 10:42:52 AM
Author: Lorelei
3.gif
9.gif
hehehehe...well, of course it is none other than the infamous, essie ''wicked''
10.gif

(don''t try it unless you have a quick dry top coat though, the stuff will NOT dry!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
3.gif
9.gif
Good grief. She posts all those beauties and you want to know about nail polish?
20.gif
25.gif
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 11:01:43 AM
Author: Ellen

3.gif
9.gif
Good grief. She posts all those beauties and you want to know about nail polish?
20.gif
25.gif
9.gif
lmao...

actually, i was kinda dissapointed that no one asked about the quilt
39.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
actually belle, i was wondering if you made the quilt....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 11:12:39 AM
Author: belle
lmao...

39.gif
Well I noticed it! (I love quilts) Did you make it, or inherit it?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2007 11:01:43 AM

3.gif
9.gif
20.gif
25.gif
9.gif
Oh thats a gimmee that I drool over Belle''s blingage!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Thanks for the polish tip Belle, I was wondering if it was the most popular Essie!

I do apologise for not noticing the quilt, did you make it? I know you are talented with a needle or machine, I could have used your help with our bedroom curtains a while back, there was some bad language in the air - we lined them too!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

39.gif
I sorry bear.....
39.gif
emrose.gif

....i feel bad...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 11:31:09 AM

39.gif
I sorry bear.....
39.gif
emrose.gif

....i feel bad...
no, no, no! i was not trying to make you feel bad! i was trying to be cute is all.
40.gif

i am making the quilt, it is still in the piecing process at this point and a long way from being finished.

does anyone else quilt? ellen? eva?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 11:48:52 AM

Are you kidding? I grew up with a mom who safety pinned buttons back on, seriously.
9.gif

Actually, I can sew, but not on that level. I do have 2 matching quilts that my grandmother made, but, I don''t want to use them. I had another one she made, a wedding ring in beautiful pastels, and washed it to death...
40.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date: 2/7/2007 11:31:09 AM

39.gif
I sorry bear.....
39.gif
emrose.gif

....i feel bad...
no, no, no! i was not trying to make you feel bad! i was trying to be cute is all.
40.gif

i am making the quilt, it is still in the piecing process at this point and a long way from being finished.

Belle I was only playing! I wouldn''t mind having a go at a quilt myself sometime actually, I like that sort of sewing.
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
belle, I missed that pic from the other day. please tell the story of your solitaire, I don''t think I''ve seen you post that setting before. Love the necklace of course and your 3 stone
30.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 11:56:42 AM

Are you kidding? I grew up with a mom who safety pinned buttons back on, seriously.
9.gif

Actually, I can sew, but not on that level. I do have 2 matching quilts that my grandmother made, but, I don''t want to use them. I had another one she made, a wedding ring in beautiful pastels, and washed it to death...
40.gif
hehehe....well, at least you got the buttons back on! we went without buttons if they fell off! my mom had no domestic inclination whatsoever. which is why i just had to giggle to myself when you asked if it was inherited. i think i''ll be lucky if i can get by without inheriting loads of debt!
40.gif

that is awesome that you have your grandmothers quilts. i would just love to have such treasures.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 12:05:41 PM

Belle I was only playing! I wouldn''t mind having a go at a quilt myself sometime actually, I like that sort of sewing.
3.gif
you turkey!
11.gif

(did i just say ''i love you'' in ye olde english?)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2007 12:17:38 PM

Date: 2/7/2007 12:05:41 PM

3.gif
you turkey!
11.gif

(did i just say ''i love you'' in ye olde english?)
I think so
9.gif
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 12:10:34 PM
Author: mrssalvo
belle, I missed that pic from the other day. please tell the story of your solitaire, I don't think I've seen you post that setting before. Love the necklace of course and your 3 stone
30.gif
well, now that we've totally hijacked hg's thread talking about everything other than the actual diamonds
37.gif
9.gif

the solitaire isn't actually mine, it belongs to my good friend. the stone is actually this one that i have posted many times before

prettyacaontherock.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ah yes belle, I remember that picture. well, gorgeous ring...

p.s I have a bunch of my grandmothers, great grandmothers and even great, great grandmothers quilts. My grandma was a saver and never used anything so the have all been packed away and are still in mint condition.

his girl, I think you have a very nice budget and the size you are looking at will look wonderful on a 5.5 hand. You might also consider purchasing from a vendor with an upgrade policy if you and your boyfriend might be open to upgrading your stone sometime down the road, you know, just in case shrinkage sets it
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 12:28:46 PM

p.s I have a bunch of my grandmothers, great grandmothers and even great, great grandmothers quilts. My grandma was a saver and never used anything so the have all been packed away and are still in mint condition.
oh wow! wow. that is just so cool.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 12:28:46 PM

Neat!!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
belle, i made my first quilt last year. I absolutely loved it!!! It came out pretty good too.

I am looking to start my second for my other son. I am an absolute beginner who really enjoys it.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 3:58:25 PM
Author: Eva17
belle, i made my first quilt last year. I absolutely loved it!!! It came out pretty good too.

I am looking to start my second for my other son. I am an absolute beginner who really enjoys it.

I have been quilting for a few years now and gotten much better at it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:07:05 PM
Author: hikerchick

Date: 2/7/2007 3:58:25 PM
Author: Eva17

I have been quilting for a few years now and gotten much better at it.
that is awesome hikerchick!
36.gif

do you machine or hand quilt?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results