shape
carat
color
clarity

Just a question...When did you become obsessed?

thk3

Rough_Rock
I started lurking around pricescope about a month ago as I was searching for an E-ring. Since that time I find myself looking here daily and for no real reason. So I was just wondering when the people here became "obsessed" with diamonds and all the intricate details everyone here discusses?

I also have found myself doubting my diamond purchase. Its still at Pearlmans waiting to be set, but I can't help but wonder if I made the right choice.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heheheh - something about the wording of your question tickles my funnybone. That's exactly what it was like: like flipping a switch.

I grew up in a jewelry family, with a dad in the colored stone business, so I'd been obsessed with jewelry for years. Starting when I was, oh, maybe 12 years old, every day my dad got home late, he'd leave some gems on my mother's piano bench waiting for me as a surprise when I woke up, and on his days off we'd have fun arranging the collection and arguing over the quality of various stones and disagreeing on which stone was a chrome diopside and which one was a tourmaline. :rodent:

But I never got into diamonds. I dunno why, but I was positive diamonds were no big thang. When I got engaged, my fiance and I basically just went to a close friend of his who specialized in diamonds and trusted his judgment (good thing he's a good friend of my dad's, because, man, talk about sheep waiting to be fleeced). And, boom! I totally fell in love with diamonds the second that sucker was on my hand.

Like a lot of people, I discovered PS while frantically trying to make sure I hadn't made a horrible mistake (phew, hadn't), and just ... never left. Many, many diamonds later ... still here. :rolleyes: Sounds like you're having a little bit of the same concern - I'd love to see a link to your stone! I bet it's a beauty.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thk3|1306458688|2931332 said:
It is not a large stone at all and maybe that is part of my concern. But here is the link

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2427595.htm

Sure, it may not be huge, but it looks like a beauty :sun:

Circe - how awesome, to have grown up in the loop ::)

I think I've always been a PSer, I just didn't find the forum and likeminded folk until recently. When I was 11 we went back to NZ to get some green card issue sorted out. We made a family holiday of it, and spent a couple of weeks visiting our old houses, going to beaches... and I collected pretty/unusually round/sparkly rocks in a grocery bag like I always did. When it came time to fly back I couldn't bear to part with my collection, but my mother was impervious to my pleading, saying there was no way she was letting me fill my suitcase with stones... so I snuck them into hers at the last minute.

I remember we had to park the rental car rather far away, and my father complained non-stop about how heavy her bag was - she replied that it was just clothes and a couple of saucepans, and to stop whingeing. I kept my mouth shut. We'd brought some food and wood products back that we had to declare at customs on landing, and when they opened her suitcase - there it was, an 8kg bag of rocks, right on top.

She was furious. My dad and the customs guy were dreadfully amused. I was probably the colour of a tomato... she did let me keep them though.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
The same thing happened to me. I got on here to search for my e-ring but still come here daily after that... :bigsmile:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond is very pretty. I bet you can't wait to get it.

I was a colored gemstone person and only decided up get a new ering about 5 years ago. Once I saw the difference between you every day diamonds and an ideal cut diamond I was hooked. I found PS when I searched for some answers to questions I had about my diamond. I am now on my 3rd upgraded diamond and actually tend to wear my diamond RHR more than colored gems anymore.

I come back every day to see what new and beautiful things other PS members are posting.

RockGuy

Rough_Rock
I only very recently found Pricescope when searching for vendors online, but I guess that I've always been obsessed. My grandfather on my mom's side was a jeweler for many years and has recently retired, hence my initial search. I have always taken a liking to rocks, crystals and gemstones. I had a tumbler when I was 7 and used to dig up rocks in the yard. Over the years I've designed a lot of jewelry and made a couple watches, but polished gemstones have always been a passion. I've always been fascinated by how stones can bend light. So I guess my short answer is early on.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, your diamond is beautiful! And of course, the great thing about WF is that you can always upgrade later if you want!

I loved jewelry as a child. But I became obsessed when I came to PS 5 years ago when looking for a diamond for an anniversary. Now PS is my home away from home! Since I can't buy unlimited jewelry, I do have fun helping others pick out diamonds and settings!

thk3

Rough_Rock
I think I like it here because people are extremely helpful while not being condescending. I knew little to nothing about diamonds before I came here (I still am certainly green and wet behind the ears) but I feel like the people here are nice and want to help.

I am truly grateful for the help and can't wait to post the pics of the ring when I get it. I'm proposing at the Biltmore on June 9th (her birthday) so wish me luck. Hope she doesn't say no ;-)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same issue. This has become my new Facebook without the pictures!!! I nned counseling.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
When I was a senior in high school I got into gem stone rings. During my last marriage I was into diamonds and got into changing my ering setting a lot. I found PS in 09 and it only made me more obsessed because I realized there were others like me. :twirl:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I found PS while searching for a setting for a diamond . Now I come here every day just to browse around to get my fix of beauties of both diamonds and colored gems.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always loved jewelry when I was a little girl I use to go the jewelry counters and look at the pretty sparklies, I got my first real ring when I was 12, it was a glass birthstone ring in 10K, I still have it and still love it!! My true obsession probably began around the time I finally got the internet just about 10 years ago and it has grown since I have found pricescope 8)

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I've always liked jewelry, probably because my mom has some nice pieces that I admired as a kid/teenager. I didn't get interested in all of the details until I was looking at options for my own engagement ring in 2007, found PS while googling around for options other than Blue Nile since local B&M stores made me uncomfortable. I was a LIW for a short time, then in BWW, and then came the search for a colored stone for my graduation ring. :naughty: I won't be upgrading for a few years, but I like seeing everyone's collections and helping folks like you! I think the princess is lovely; I got mine at WF, too! :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My love of jewelry was inherited. My grandmother loved jewelry and had quite a collection (most of it went to my aunt when she passed, with the exception of the ring in my avatar). She always let me "play" in her jewelry box and I loved all of the pretty colors and sparkles. When I was 12, my parents gave me an amethyst ring (my birthstone) for my birthday. My passion only grew from there. I found PS about a year ago, when I lost my ering and was doing research as I looked for a replacement. Finding people who were as "interested" (sounds better than obsessed ;)) ) in jewelry as I am was a huge bonus. I love being able to see all of the lovely pieces people have and I have learned SO much about stones in general. Everyone is so helpful and friendly. It's hard to stay away, lol!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thk3|1306466295|2931430 said:
I think I like it here because people are extremely helpful while not being condescending. I knew little to nothing about diamonds before I came here (I still am certainly green and wet behind the ears) but I feel like the people here are nice and want to help.

I am truly grateful for the help and can't wait to post the pics of the ring when I get it. I'm proposing at the Biltmore on June 9th (her birthday) so wish me luck. Hope she doesn't say no ;-)

Oh, Biltmore will be a beautiful place to propose! She will be thrilled!

satbeachbill

Rough_Rock
First wife wanted nothing to do with diamonds. So, after I remarried. We can't get enough. We started cruising the Caribbean and looking at all offerings. Being from a small town with limited stores, we just couldn't believe all the gorgeous stones and rings. That's where it started, and hasn't stopped. I found out about PS maybe a year ago and follow it often. We made several purchases over the years, and upgrades but I'd be hesitant to to reveal much here. None of it is from online vendors or (PS recommended) stores, but we are happy with our purchases and that's all that matters. And besides, I just love reading about and looking at all the diamonds.
IT WILL NEVER STOP.......yeah.. you are right........it's an obsession!!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I got my love of jewelry from my mother. She loved it and she would always give me sweet jewelry gifts when I was a child.
She has long passed on, but collecting and wearing jewelry always makes me feel very connected to my wonderful mother.
Also, I've always been attracted to sparkly and beautiful things. My parents enjoyed antiques, art and jewelry and from earliest childhood, I found such things magical.

I enjoy this forum also because people are so polite and helpful and there is much to learn and appreciate.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I became obsessed the day I got my ERing! Poor FI- he started the obsession! :bigsmile:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got engaged in 2008 and knew nothing about diamonds. Then I started reading on PS and learned so much. I was hooked! I only wish I had known about diamonds before DH proposed. He did a great job with my original e-ring, but I know he overpaid.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
minmin001|1306461885|2931366 said:
The same thing happened to me. I got on here to search for my e-ring but still come here daily after that... :bigsmile:

This exactly!!!!

I came here in Feb, got my E-ring in March, 2ctw Huggies in April (made w/20 pointers), and a 2.3ctw eternity ring (made with 10 pointers)---TODAY :D !!!!

I have ALWAYS loved and wore alot of jewelry but now I am OBSESSED with diamonds. I only want to wear jewelry with diamonds in it...and bc of PS---great diamonds!!!!! I have a list of what I need and I am slowly plucking away at the list. I will not be satisfied until I have it all!!!

I am also looking foward to my 1st upgrade. My ering is a WF Expert selection Princess too (like the OP). I LOVE it but I do want it to 'grow' eventually. I will also upgrade the Huggies and eternity ring one day too (they're upgradable!) :naughty:

So to answer the question....I became OBSESSED with diamonds as soon as I found Pricescope!!!!!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I became very interested in diamonds a little over a year ago, when my fiance and I started looking at engagement ring settings and diamonds. I don't think that I'm quite as 'obsessed' as many PSers, though: I picked out my princess cut diamond in person, and I used my eyes to find an optical pattern and sparkle factor that appealed the most to me. I did compare next to an AGS 000, but in the end, I picked a GIA stone with a slightly less favorable ASET image (my fiance and I purchased our own beginner scope to use). It's still very sparkly, I get tons of compliments on it, and I absolutely love it.

Before this, I wasn't particularly interested in diamonds, or even in expensive jewelry. I remember that my high school boyfriend gave me a ring as a gift once, and that I was so excited that it had a diamond chip in it, because I actually owned a real diamond. Honestly though, it was such a small chip that I had to look closely to make sure that it was still there, and that it hadn't fallen out somewhere. :rolleyes:

My parents aren't into jewelry, either. My mom wears a decorative silver-metaled band as her wedding ring, but she doesn't even know what it's made out of. The only diamond that she owns is her engagement ring stone, which is apparently very small and simple. I've never even seen it, since she keeps it buried in her old jewelry box somewhere. My dad did buy her a necklace with some little diamonds in it for their anniversary this year, but she decided to exchange it, because she thought that it was impractical for everyday wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results