shape
carat
color
clarity

Just a little humor at my local jeweler.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Just a little humor at my local jeweler.

Nothing profound to say here but . . .

I had just picked up some things I needed repaired, set, changed, etc. Was going to change out a stone in a ring from a no crown (flat), large table, fairly dull green tourmaline to a nice (good vendor) concave cut yellow sapphire. They wanted to know why since green tourmalines are hard to come by (?).

And of course they thought the yellow sapphire was a citrine. And that the mint tourmaline I had put in a pendant was a greened amethyst. Lovely people (and they have been in the business a long time - go figure) but . . .

However their benchperson is amazzzzzing with great prices.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
hehe, I find that a lot where I live too. Lots of Mom and Pop shops that have been passed to kids. Glad their bench person is awesome though...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as the local jeweller continues to provide awesome service and the benchperson knows how to treat the stones properly (not confusing a citrine with a sapphire), all is good. Your duty as a Pricescoper is to educate people about gemstones one at a time :lol:

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I was asked by a jeweler if my teal tourmaline was a green amethyst. :errrr: Ummm, no.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys, for listening
and
oh, for being a wonderful group . . .

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear! It's great to find a good benchman though.

I once had a "jeweler" mistake my citrine for a yellow diamond. Now it's a nice citrine, but it certainly does not look anything like a diamond. Maybe he was just being incredibly overly polite.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweler gave up on me. When I bring in a stone, they don't even guess. They just say, "what is it?"

They do great benchwork, so that's all I care about.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too funny. There is a guy locally that does great work with all sorts of stones but he always asks what the stone is when I turn it in. The jewelry stores in the mall though need to train their benchpersons on colored gems though. Two of them has broken my stones before. One was a 1 ct. PC tsavorite; it still makes me sick to think of them cracking that baby right in half. Sigh.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results