shape
carat
color
clarity

Julia Kay Taylor ... Spinel...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went ahead and emailed JKT at the email on her .com web site. Is that the right way to contact her?

I''ve decided that I trust her to set my Dan Stair Spinel. Color Shifter blue, purple 5.75 mm round.

I really like the Katie...drool over when I see photos of PSers Katie settings.

I also like the 3 stone look with the center stone in prongs and the side stones bezeled.

Any opinions?

Yes this thread is useless without pictures so.... the stone!

shspinelshaded.JPG

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone inside in a room with daylight and artificial lighting...

shspinelsparkle.JPG

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK now that you see the cut and color a bit -- more purple inside w/o daylight.

Here are the settings I''m thinking of... the Katie which I just LOVE from the top. My concern is that it will block some light to the stone and I''m not sure about the side view!?

2009-09-25%20006.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chictomato posted this recently...said it was posted by Stepcutgirl first as an idea. I really really like it even though my stone is a round.

prongandbezel1234.jpg

OK please discuss. And THANK YOU in advance!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that''s a very good candidate for a bezel setting. It''s bright enough and certainly light in tone.
1.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for responding TL. Well it is darker inside...that''s when it looks purple. Here''s a shot away from lighting... and I don''t want to inhibit the color shift in any way. That''s why I''m not sure about the Katie.

shspinelangled.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't think it's too dark for a bezel unless you're shining a lot of light into that stone in the photo. Even in it's darker appearance, I don't think it's too dark for a bezel. Make sure the bezel has an open back though so it's easy to clean and doesn't get crud and moisture inside. If you want a bezel with a bit more light getting in there, go for a higher set mount, with the pavillion exposed, such as this James Meyer. JKT can do this too.

ETA: I have some similar colored spinels that I'm looking to bezel.
2.gif

example_exposed_pavillion_bezel.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah very cool TL we could become Spinel twins! I def. want an open bezel if I bezel the spinel. Thanks for that photo. I do like the JMish stuff that I''ve seen.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone. I think it would look great bezel set and Katie''s ring is marvelous.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/4/2010 9:48:19 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I think that''s a very good candidate for a bezel setting. It''s bright enough and certainly light in tone.
1.gif

I agree with the above
21.gif

But will it be a little small to set it in the 3 stone setting? cos you mentioned that the spinel is only 5.75mm, that will mean that the sidestones are gonna be even smaller to achieve that look. Well, if you prefer something more delicate than this is not an issue, but personally I will prefer a larger looking ring (that can explain why I am a halo fanatic)
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you can go wrong either way. I''d probably set it in a more simple setting (so a bezel solitaire) cause I love the combo of a delicate color and great cutting in this one, so I''d want to bring that out as much as possible. Diamonds might distract here a bit, but I could be wrong.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 9:31:47 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Chictomato posted this recently...said it was posted by Stepcutgirl first as an idea. I really really like it even though my stone is a round.

prongandbezel1234.jpg

OK please discuss. And THANK YOU in advance!
Actually this ring orginally came from ME!!! I suggested it on Stepcutgirl''s 3 stone thread. I have loved it a long time and finally posted a pic on PS and now I see it everywhere! And now that it is everywhere I feel even more pressure to buy it or have it made
3.gif
. So of course this ring would be my vote!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it matters either way for your stone; it’s light enough that it’s not going to be significantly darken and I like the idea of a collet bezel anyway.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 9:24:07 PM
OK now that you see the cut and color a bit -- more purple inside w/o daylight.

Here are the settings I''m thinking of... the Katie which I just LOVE from the top. My concern is that it will block some light to the stone and I''m not sure about the side view!?

2009-09-25%20006.jpg
1.gif
That pic looks very familiar!!
1.gif

I''d bezel it! The Katie setting from JKT looks similar to the JM one from the side.

Original thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jkt-katie-setting.125992/

Thought I had a better side shot but I suppose not.

2009-08-17%20003.jpg

If you look on JKT''s etsy page you can see her sketches and they show the side view very well. The bezel is very much open underneath and the culet is exposed. My only concern with your stone would be that since it''s smaller the bezel might hide a bit more of the pavilion. Maybe you could do a semi-bezel?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What''s the size of the stone in the Katie setting?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 10:58:00 AM
Author: innerkitten
What's the size of the stone in the Katie setting?
Mine? It's 6.5mm.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love the Katies setting, and well at the JM:)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Marcyc!

It looks like chictomato and ma re are right. It is a smaller stone and the proportions don''t quite work for the Katie.

Brandy''s ring is just lovely but the stone is much larger...

And while I love SarahBear''s idea ring the stone is too small for that too.
38.gif

After emailing with JKT I''m just not sure of what I''m going to do now. The size of the stone changes all of the proportions...

THANKS everyone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why can''t you bezel it if it''s smaller? Is the Katie ring made for a specific size stone? If a bezel is done properly, it can give a stone the appearance of a larger size.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well, I personally think an almost-6mm stone could definitely hold its own in the Katie setting. But if you don''t, would you consider a Heart of Water lotus setting? Seems like the perfect size for one of those!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I have fat fingers so...I wouldn''t rule out the Katie yet! Ask Julia to be sure. Maybe you could put a double bezel around it if you think it''s too small?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JKT told me the Katie was made for a much larger stone...doesn''t mean it couldn''t be done but it wouldn''t be best. Those aren''t her words "wouldn''t be best''" but my understanding of our discussion.

At first I wanted to bezel this stone in a LOGR setting with halo to make it look bigger. Then I got taken in by the clean lines of the Katie and other JKT settings.

I don''t know why my first colored stone was so easy to set and this one is so hard to set. I also have another project idea I haven''t gotten anywhere with. I don''t think I''ve become pickier by constantly reading PS!
39.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2010 9:53:35 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Well, I personally think an almost-6mm stone could definitely hold its own in the Katie setting. But if you don''t, would you consider a Heart of Water lotus setting? Seems like the perfect size for one of those!
Well I hadn''t thought of that setting. Thanks.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 9:56:05 PM
Author: brandy_z28
I have fat fingers so...I wouldn''t rule out the Katie yet! Ask Julia to be sure. Maybe you could put a double bezel around it if you think it''s too small?
Julia did a double bezel for my sister''s amethyst ring, but I think the stone was 8mm. Here''s a picture from JKT:

JKTPicture6.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Burberrygirl.

I did let JKT know of a couple other rings she''s done that I like. Again I don''t know why it''s so hard to set this stone!?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brandy is your stone in A. Silver? How is the setting holding up and how often do you wear it?

I''m going off to searc for the details on your ring....

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2010 8:04:51 AM
Author: Chrono
I don’t think it matters either way for your stone; it’s light enough that it’s not going to be significantly darken and I like the idea of a collet bezel anyway.
Thanks Chrono. You can see I''m having a hard time with this stone. My own personal problem I guess. The stone is very nice.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2010 10:22:16 PM
Brandy is your stone in A. Silver? How is the setting holding up and how often do you wear it?

Well duh! I''m the one that asked this question in your thread about your setting. I just forgot your answer.

A. Silver it is. Now how is it holding up? How does the bezel look now that you''ve worn it a while?

THANKS

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Part of my problem is we had this discussion about this Spinel before and decided that it shouldn''t be bezeled. Hmmm

I''m going to have to bezel something soon no matter what, I obviously want a bezeled ring. I''m just not sure this is the stone to bezel.

OK now that you all know how crazy I am I''ll just stop posting on this thread for tonight!

2.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 10:29:12 PM

Date: 5/5/2010 10:22:16 PM

Well duh! I''m the one that asked this question in your thread about your setting. I just forgot your answer.

A. Silver it is. Now how is it holding up? How does the bezel look now that you''ve worn it a while?

THANKS
Yes, the ring is Argentium(sp?) silver. Julia actually has my katie ring right now. The bezel came loose on it. Julia says that can happen over time and I was wearing that ring on a daily basis. I''m also the kind of person that''ll notice a bruise or cut and not have a clue as to how it got there.
23.gif
With that being said, I think the ring has held up well and I''ll take the blame for the loose bezel. I must have banged it on something and not realized it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results