shape
carat
color
clarity

Judge this emerald please.

Recently purchased a 2.83ct emerald, 66% depth, minor oil, Columbian origin, trying to confirm Muzo origin with a 365nm UV light. Saw very minor reaction at 385nm.

Cut seems solid but color might be a bit light. I don’t have a great idea of if this would be eye clean or very slightly included. Most worried about color tbh. AGL report doesn’t grade color just says green. Confirms minor oil, cut and Columbian origin.

Videos

Could be the lighting but to my eyes it errs on the side of yellow a bit.

Also I feel like there is a significant window?

Agree on the window, was honestly willing to accept one for clarity on an emerald. I have 14 days to return it. I was worried it was bit too blueish and too low saturation. Direct view of the window. Curious if a setting could help with that.

IMG_8221.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree on the window, was honestly willing to accept one for clarity on an emerald. I have 14 days to return it. I was worried it was bit too blueish and too low saturation. Direct view of the window. Curious if a setting could help with that.

IMG_8221.jpeg

Ahh not yellow at all!!!! Goodness lighting can be so misleading!

Windows can be such a personal thing and even with myself, I tend to be a bit inconsistent about what I will/won’t accept in terms of a window! My rule is usually never but there a 1-2 exceptions!

Take a piece of foil and stick it at the bottom of the stone. This will help with windows so working on the same principle, a solid metal disc at the bottom of the setting will disguise the window a bit.

I can show you a spinel window that I hid tomorrow if you like.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also meant to add: How do you feel about it overall? Like? Love? Relative to the price. There are so many emeralds around (they’re all over IG) if you have doubts about it, keep looking!

I really like your second picture but I’m one of those people who tends to make a decision based on price, size and overall wearability (do I like this enough to wear it often and is it useful as far as jewellery goes). So in that sense I do not need to be madly in love with things, just in love enough!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it has a window, however, I personally like the blue-green colour myself as seen in the second photo.

Colour preferences are very personal though, therefore, OP you would need to decide if the colour pops to you or not.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a pic of my own Emerald rough - the small one in the front.

It will not be everyone's cup of tea, however, in the videos of the rough that Jeff White had sent to me, it looks more appealing to me personally, in that it appears more saturated and more blue.

Most importantly, it will be cut by Jeff as an Emerald cut, and the finished stone should be of good clarity; and I am confident he will do a great job.

QQ图片20220927223405.png

Also meant to add: How do you feel about it overall? Like? Love? Relative to the price. There are so many emeralds around (they’re all over IG) if you have doubts about it, keep looking!

I really like your second picture but I’m one of those people who tends to make a decision based on price, size and overall wearability (do I like this enough to wear it often and is it useful as far as jewellery goes). So in that sense I do not need to be madly in love with things, just in love enough!

Yeah I like it a lot, I would say the visual color is in the middle of the photos. I just tried the foil idea and the window disappeared pretty quickly very intense brilliance for an emerald, and with the low RI of emerald I accepted windowing for clarity. That foil idea was brilliant. I like the blueish green and think the true color looks like a mix of the video and the photo. The price was about 6k per carat at 2.83cts. Thoughts on the price?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price was about 6k per carat at 2.83cts. Thoughts on the price?

That's nearly 17k USD for the stone alone?! o_O

Personally, I would pass.

However, it could be a fair price, just not for me personally.

DK :confused2:

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
I like it a lot - colour, clarity, origin, they’re all great. However… at that price point, you could get a MUCH better stone, without a window. I too would pass on this one and search some more.

I like it a lot - colour, clarity, origin, they’re all great. However… at that price point, you could get a MUCH better stone, without a window. I too would pass on this one and search some more.
Thanks Joanne10, which vendors would you recommend for emeralds? I don't know the emerald market well.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
As a price reference the largest piece of Pakistani emerald in the picture shared by @dk168 was offered for under 5k by Jeff, estimated to cut around a 3 ct round.

There’s a preloved listing for a Colombian emerald on PS

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a price reference the largest piece of Pakistani emerald in the picture shared by @dk168 was offered for under 5k by Jeff, estimated to cut around a 3 ct round.

There’s a preloved listing for a Colombian emerald on PS

The one on preloved is a great deal IMO

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Thanks Joanne10, which vendors would you recommend for emeralds? I don't know the emerald market well.

I‘ve seen a lot of recommendations for Yvonne at CecileRaleyDesigns on Etsy, Tandi of desertrose_gems and Dolly of XOtheBijouxBox on instagram, and if I had a big budget, I’d contact George Smith from https://www.instagram.com/emeralds/?hl=en/ alpinegreen.co. They are all trusted vendors here on PS.

Ultimately, it all comes down to which vendor has the stone you absolutely fall in love with (or that’s my opinion, anyway.) Good luck in your search, and do keep us posted if you find something! I’d love to see what you find. Emerald is my favourite gemstone.

Edit: I haven’t checked if either of the above currently have emerald in stock (except for George). Depending on how much in a hurry you are, I’d either browse what’s available, wait until something pops up, or ask if any of the vendors can get you the kind of stone you’re looking for.

Also, if you’re open to the idea of a preloved item, the Preloved section here on PS has some awesome treasures!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's the one I have purchased, not the smallest one in the front, my (nice) mistake! :lol-2:

He is going to cut an emerald cut for me and not a round. :kiss2:

I appreciate it is not Columbian in origin, however, it ticks all the boxes for me in terms of the price point for its size, colour, clarity and quality of the eventual cutting as a window would bother me.

DK =)2

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

While undoubtedly this will be lovely - I’m not sure if it’s a fair cost comparison?
I can’t remember how he’s estimating classifying the color.
Clean material -check
Cut - of course!
(Great score @dk168 !)

Most worried about color tbh

How did the vendor themselves classify the color?

Worried you like the color - or worried what you are seeing fits the description the vendor gave it?
If you are searching to get that famed muzo ……
I think these are key to understand if tying to give you feedback relevant to ‘you’

Also look at gemfactor emeralds, in addition to who has already been suggested.
Unfortunately not publicly listed prices tho :(

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher agree about the colour of my rough, and it might not be a fair cost comparison, as it is not Columbian in origin and the colour not as saturated.

I too have reservations after seeing the two videos he sent me, and asked him to provide me with a better idea of the eventual colour of the finished stone.

Although it might not be a very saturated blue-green colour, it is pleasing enough for me personally.

With a stone that should be very clean once faceted (one of the videos showed a very clean rough), I would not want it to be too dark/saturated so that I could see and admire the cutting better.

I believe I have done very well with this Emerald myself!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
@Rfisher It’s definitely not a fair comparison considering the difference in origin! But I want @SpinelsAndTourlamine to be aware of the price range for what’s available. I would not pay triple for origin if everything doesn’t measure up.

@dk168 Please share videos when you receive the completed piece! I was interested in the piece to the right, but someone got to it first!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher It’s definitely not a fair comparison considering the difference in origin! But I want @SpinelsAndTourlamine to be aware of the price range for what’s available. I would not pay triple for origin if everything doesn’t measure up.

@dk168 Please share videos when you receive the completed piece! I was interested in the piece to the right, but someone got to it first!

Some would pay a very high premium for the right origin, based on my memory of the infamous Kashmiri Sapphire thread(s) some years ago.

Please don't hold your breath as it could be some time before Jeff cuts my stone as it is not urgent and I am paying in instalments.

While undoubtedly this will be lovely - I’m not sure if it’s a fair cost comparison?
I can’t remember how he’s estimating classifying the color.
Clean material -check
Cut - of course!
(Great score @dk168 !)

How did the vendor themselves classify the color?

Worried you like the color - or worried what you are seeing fits the description the vendor gave it?
If you are searching to get that famed muzo ……
I think these are key to understand if tying to give you feedback relevant to ‘you’

Also look at gemfactor emeralds, in addition to who has already been suggested.
Unfortunately not publicly listed prices tho :(

It wasn’t openly advertised, it was part of a gem collection from an antique and vintage jeweler who buys most of their material at auction. AGL Origin Report. We did compare it to a Van Cleef Emerald ring, I really preferred the clarity of this one.

IMG_8244.jpeg
IMG_8243.jpeg

I am pretty sure it is this one from an old IG story.

I tried a flash picture to see how much light came back with a

IMG_8238.jpeg
IMG_8239.jpeg
I messaged Gem Factor, here is an example from them.

Similar clarity but the window is quite a bit harsher and the color is too light to have any windows imo. Waiting to hear back on prices from them.

IMG_8230.jpeg

Bottom left and right at 4k per carat and unknown oiling as JR is using more oil F2(deal breaker) and less eye clean, smaller and less vivid color. The cuts on those are good though.

I checked out George Smith and his prices.
Windowed as well and similar color, darker but not in the way I prefer. Also a carat smaller.

Megan Hill

Rough_Rock
It wasn’t openly advertised, it was part of a gem collection from an antique and vintage jeweler who buys most of their material at auction. AGL Origin Report. We did compare it to a Van Cleef Emerald ring, I really preferred the clarity of this one.

IMG_8244.jpeg
IMG_8243.jpeg

I am pretty sure it is this one from an old IG story.

I tried a flash picture to see how much light came back with a

IMG_8238.jpeg
IMG_8239.jpeg
I messaged Gem Factor, here is an example from them.

Similar clarity but the window is quite a bit harsher and the color is too light to have any windows imo. Waiting to hear back on prices from them.

IMG_8230.jpeg

Bottom left and right at 4k per carat and unknown oiling as JR is using more oil F2(deal breaker) and less eye clean, smaller and less vivid color. The cuts on those are good though.

I checked out George Smith and his prices.
Windowed as well and similar color, darker but not in the way I prefer. Also a carat smaller.

Any updates on your search?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_8244.jpeg

Is it just me? That does not look like VCA to me -- the design or the emerald. Unless I'm missing something here and this just happens to be a terrible, terrible photo -- which I would not think a vendor would showcase like that.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it just me? That does not look like VCA to me -- the design or the emerald. Unless I'm missing something here and this just happens to be a terrible, terrible photo -- which I would not think a vendor would showcase like that.

VCA with wonky positioned prongs?

I too have doubts if that Emerald ring is a VCA.

DK :confused2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What vendor is advertising that as a VCA ring?

This was before it got restored, can’t speak to the original owners damage/repair. The stones actually more of an old mine color. I prefer a deeper Chivor for the blue undertone and clarity . I went to Tucson AGTA, GJX and 22nd st and wasn’t impressed by the prices on Columbian material. I did find a setting for the current stone there

IMG_8315.jpeg

I did find a ring that fit the original stone, I need to get it properly set. Overall I would say @emeralds, @gem_factor and JR Columbian emeralds have the best selections of Columbian material. But it did highlight to me the currenct scarcity of good Columbian emeralds at Tucson. All the emeralds I thought offered something better ended up being 7.5-10k a carat. So I decided to stick with mine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results