shape
carat
color
clarity

JTV-Anyone feel the same way?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
Today at 7pm they had some really gorgeous Tanzanite rings, 3-6ct center stones in that amazing deep purpley-blue color.

But at 8 they go and do a whole hour on Bella Luce simulants in sterling silver! I don''t understand how they can go from great gemstone jewelry to simulants.

And also, I hate how they put beautiful stones, sometimes diamonds, in 10k gold or 14k gold over sterling silver.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are trying to target different markets. Not everyone can afford a certificated triple A Tanzanite stone of 6 carats and not everyone who can afford one may want one, they might just fancy getting a silver ring or have lots of Xmas presents bought and fancy a little gem for themself. They are giving the public choices. Bottom line is they are trying to make money of the public, they have to work in the same way you do, to live.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
I gave up on JTV''s Tanzanite rings months ago. I kept going up in price, as they kept going up in price. But each one got worse. NONE was anything like what they showed on TV. One looked worn, both the metal (14kt) and the stone which was cracked and chipped...imagine the nerve to send out something like that!

JTV host says: "minimum .50 ct," and then "Ooh, this one just weighed out to be .75 ct, and some lucky person will get it." Well, I never got "it" or anything like the stones they show. And, BTW JTV hosts, what a difference 50% extra in weight makes on a stone''s color!

I bought a number of rings and a number of loose stones. All stones were returned except for one loose trillion. And that trillion is not premo color as they were touting, but perhaps a decent second grade. The Tanzie ring I have from when I first started buying there is windowed...before I knew what windowing was, so it''s my first hard "lesson" on stones.
29.gif
I have to concede though, that the setting, the diamonds around it are excellent...and I tested them to be sure they were diamonds.
2.gif

I''m having more fun with ebay''s Thai sellers lately. Just ordered this 3+ ct red spinel, said to be VVS on a BIN. I hope it comes out close to this photo (seller''s), and not too dark. That''s the only beef I have with the Thai sellers: too much lighting to brighten up dark stones! I''m hoping the dark areas are like what happened with a Melon garnet I bought from a JTV auction in the summer: It''s gorgeous, but impossible to photograph without getting a lot of tiny black areas

Ger
PS: You wouldn''t want to see MY Tanzie ring.
15.gif

3.22 red spinel VVS Burma.jpg

ger100

Shiny_Rock
PS:

As far as 10KT vs 14 KT vs 18KT.
I think the better the gold, the better the chance of actually getting a decent stone, i.e., in 18KT you MIGHT actually get what they''re showing!!

ger100

Shiny_Rock
The other thing I''m finding with the Thai sellers vs JTV: The Thai folks do fairly nice, albeit basic, cutting. I know the Spinel looks like it might have a window, but other views don''t seem to show it as such.

But JTV stuff is loaded with cockeyed culets, windows, stones cut in the wrong axis (Supposedly blue Tanzies were purple, showing blue only from the side!??). And some were just plain lopsided, or with big open clear streaks in the middle of oval stones and lots of busy-ness on the ends. (Boy I wish I knew a bit more about cutting).

Look at their current auctions. There are a couple of emeralds which should probably be thrown away or cut up for pieces. One looks like a 2 year old kid cut it...ick.

Ger
This is in a current JTV auction!

messy emerald.jpg

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 10:23:46 PM
Author: Pyramid
They are trying to target different markets. Not everyone can afford a certificated triple A Tanzanite stone of 6 carats and not everyone who can afford one may want one, they might just fancy getting a silver ring or have lots of Xmas presents bought and fancy a little gem for themself. They are giving the public choices. Bottom line is they are trying to make money of the public, they have to work in the same way you do, to live.

I realize that most people cannot afford a 6ct Tanzanite (I''m not stupid, I certainly can''t afford that!). My mother got a great pair of $59 chrome diopside earrings. I was just asking if anyone felt the same way as me.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are missing the point I was making, that they are targeting different people with different budgets. Unlike Tiffany who is more highend and only want to sell to people with more money. Are you saying they should have a whole evening of higher end jewelry and then the lower end the next evening or what? That would not be fair for the people who cannot afford much who want to buy something that night though. Having a mixture on in the same night keeps the public watching also as otherwise they wouldn't switch on the nights when their price range would not be showing. Television companies are not doing all this at random they have qualified people doing marketing for them and targeting certain times of days to show certain shows. 8pm most children would be in bed so the adult may watch the jewelry programme and having children may not be looking for a 6 carat stone for practicality and finance sake. 7pm the single office worker has just had their dinner and sits down to watch the show and buys an expensive ring. I have also noticed here in the UK when one shopping channel has shoes the others do, when one has beauty products sometimes the others do, so the marketing people are checking what is showing on other channels so you won't order boots from one and then watch a show later that day and order from another channel and return the first boots. So you are watching their channel and unless you switch channels are not aware another channel is showing boots today. As someone else said the diamonds they are putting in the gold on silver will not be high end diamonds. High end diamonds are usually certificated.

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
Geez pyramid, don't take it so seriously, I really don't understand why people are so mean to me on this message board, I think I should just delete my membership. I was simply stating that I Just don't trust their gem's credibility if they are showing tanzanite one hour and simulants the next. I never said they should always sell high end expensive gems.
33.gif

Ger, I'm so sorry about your experiences, and that emerald is awful!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a Tanzanite stone from JTV in ''04. It is gorgeous. It has the deep color that is hard to find now. No window and the beautiful flashes of red. It is a trillion cut and weighs 1.90. It is really beautiful. I don''t have it set into anything yet, but will probably have a pendant made eventually.

Linda

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Fashion victim, and Ger100,
So sorry that some people are so mean on P.s. Usually you don''t find it on the colored stone forum, but I have noticed it myself. JTV bought out the Shop at home site and they must have gotton this bellaluce line. I agree with you-I never would look at it. I think all their merchandise quality has fallen severly, perhaps due to this buyout and too much growth.
I have had the same experience as Ger 100. I finally got my money for my rubies, but what trouble. They do not stand by what they say on t.v. or what is on their web site. They told me they will only except a GIA lab evaluationl, not an independent lab. I think they will be getting law suits soon. I have sent back 100 percent of items purchased from them. I should know better now , but I am still seduced because in the past I got some beautiful stuff from them that I was shocked at what they appraised out as. I made mistakes as well but overall I''m glad I''m not buying now. I don''t buy in 10kt gold.
I have tried to buy a dark blue tanzanite from them and went as high as $2500. You can''t believe what they sent. I have a smaller dark blue ring 1.81cts that I bought 3 yrs ago, and another that is lighter but still beautiful. Just sent back green labradorite that you could see the ink from print throught it. It was 2.75 for 525.00. I had to send it back.
Hi Linda. Haven''t seen you on the forum. I hope hubby is good.
Fashion Victum-- You can learn alot from this forum. There are a lot of experts who show up to educate you. Pay no attention to the babble of some of these people.
Thanks,
Annette

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Annette,

Good to hear from you. Hubby is doing better. His shoulder is still sore from his accident though. Guess it will take time to heal.

I agree JTV has gone down hill. I don''t buy from them anymore at all. I did get a beautiful tanzie stone though, guess I was lucky. I didn''t know they bought Shop At Home.

I wish you and your family a very wonderful Holiday Season.

Linda

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much Annette you are very kind.

I am so sorry about your experience, sounds very like that of Ger100''s. You two have educated me-to stay away from JTV!!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2006 1:28:27 PM
Author: Fashionvictim
Geez pyramid, don't take it so seriously, I really don't understand why people are so mean to me on this message board, I think I should just delete my membership. I was simply stating that I Just don't trust their gem's credibility if they are showing tanzanite one hour and simulants the next. I never said they should always sell high end expensive gems.
33.gif

Ger, I'm so sorry about your experiences, and that emerald is awful!

Don't really understand your agression here, you didn't say what I highlighted in your first post at all. People are not against you, maybe you need to be clearer about what you are asking. You said "I don't understand" that is why I thought I would explain it from my point of view, I am not taking it seriously but you certainly are as you are taking it as a personal jibe against you. So really you do understand you just don't trust the credibility of their product.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fashionvictim

I have read your post again, and I think maybe we are both in the wrong here. I think it can be read two ways and I read it as you don't understand why they show good and then bad as in you don't understand and would like to know why they do one and then the other and I was trying to point out about different markets etc. You were using the word understand as we all do in a different context in that you were making a statement rather than requiring an answer. It is written many times that over the internet people cannot see expressions like in real life so interpret things wrongly which I did obviously. I was not trying to be nasty or be a know it all, just saying what I thought was reasons to something I thought you were asking.

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 11:58:34 PM
Author: ger100
I gave up on JTV''s Tanzanite rings months ago. I kept going up in price, as they kept going up in price. But each one got worse. NONE was anything like what they showed on TV. One looked worn, both the metal (14kt) and the stone which was cracked and chipped...imagine the nerve to send out something like that!

JTV host says: ''minimum .50 ct,'' and then ''Ooh, this one just weighed out to be .75 ct, and some lucky person will get it.'' Well, I never got ''it'' or anything like the stones they show. And, BTW JTV hosts, what a difference 50% extra in weight makes on a stone''s color!

I bought a number of rings and a number of loose stones. All stones were returned except for one loose trillion. And that trillion is not premo color as they were touting, but perhaps a decent second grade. The Tanzie ring I have from when I first started buying there is windowed...before I knew what windowing was, so it''s my first hard ''lesson'' on stones.
29.gif
I have to concede though, that the setting, the diamonds around it are excellent...and I tested them to be sure they were diamonds.
2.gif

I''m having more fun with ebay''s Thai sellers lately. Just ordered this 3+ ct red spinel, said to be VVS on a BIN. I hope it comes out close to this photo (seller''s), and not too dark. That''s the only beef I have with the Thai sellers: too much lighting to brighten up dark stones! I''m hoping the dark areas are like what happened with a Melon garnet I bought from a JTV auction in the summer: It''s gorgeous, but impossible to photograph without getting a lot of tiny black areas <fingers crossed>

Ger
PS: You wouldn''t want to see MY Tanzie ring.
15.gif

What''s going on with the girdle of that stone at the bottom left in your picture? It seems to have a great deal of "character" in that location. That would bother me but we''re all different.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
C Smith:

They mention a small chip on the edge of the Spinel, which I thought was at the top. Maybe it''s a LONG chip at the lower left?? Will let you know when I get it. Thanks!
My biggest concern is the color and saturation, which is easy to change with lighting. I''ve not gotten anything previously from this seller.

Ger

PS: This is like buying EAPG (antique glass) sight unseen, from 1 or 2 photos and a verbal description. One man''s "chip" in "near-mint" condition is another man''s "chunk" (of missing glass) as in "junk."
20.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I am in agreement with those of who who say JTV has gone down hill. I don''t even watch them anymore.I have purchased some really nice pieces from them and have been pleased with the appraisals.They have some nice designs but are really cheaply made and the diamonds are nasty.It seems like they have the same thngs over and over.They need something new and of better quality. I don''t think they even have the Red Carpet anymore with Frank.Bummer.....

Hey Linda how are you doing????

Connie

jszweda

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 9:25:12 PM
Author:Fashionvictim
Today at 7pm they had some really gorgeous Tanzanite rings, 3-6ct center stones in that amazing deep purpley-blue color.

But at 8 they go and do a whole hour on Bella Luce simulants in sterling silver! I don''t understand how they can go from great gemstone jewelry to simulants.

And also, I hate how they put beautiful stones, sometimes diamonds, in 10k gold or 14k gold over sterling silver.
I know exactly what you mean.

Personally, I am not the biggest diamond fan, but stimulants? No. I can''t stand them.

As far as 10K metal goes and such, I don''t care for that either, and I think they only do that to keep the prices down. I will say a few things about JTV, and you can take it for whatever it''s worth to you.

They''re more or less hit and miss as far as what they have and such. Sometimes what they show on the air isn''t quite as good in person. You can take it back though without a problem.

They have upgraded some of their stuff, but I can tell that some of what they have is not the greatest quality either. I know that their camera colors are really off in their reds and yellows. They also like to export photos with Flash, and the colors are really off then. I know that being in the computer business, so the camera''s are just inaccurate as hell.

Here is something that kinda worked though. Mom saw a 3 stone emerald ring that she got from them. The emeralds are supposedly Zambian, I say they are Columbian under a grading lamp or comparable lighting. I could be wrong. Either way, they are very clean for emeralds. They aren''t flawless, but they are pretty good.

The problem with the ring was that the setting was so horrid, Mom was embarassed to wear the thing. So she took a design of mine for another ring she wants done, and decided to modify the head for a 3 stone vs. a solitare. The cutting on the stone is eh. I''ve seen better, and I''ve seen way worse in retail. You would be absolutely amazed what a good setting will do for a stone that looks a little iffy in some way. After we plopped those things in a real setting...WHOA. So that was a hit.

What kills me is this.

I am so sick and tired of them pushing those freaking laboradites. They get on that, and those freaking tanzanites. Sometimes I feel like telling them and GSN to get their own channels to just sell laboradite on one channel, tanzanites on another, and those freaking mandarins on something else. Then we can see the rest of what is out there. When they start pushing that laboradite, OMG. That''s half the network time I think.

I will also say this to their favor. They tend to be good sales people without being dishonest, and they won''t rag on another network unlike some other places do-blatently.

Personally, I don''t care for anything less than 14K gold. I don''t care for sterling or vermeil. That''s my preference. As for their other stuff, it''s more or less hit and miss, and I could go on about a few things on some other network too that might suprise you.

While some of what they sell may not be "ideal" in some aspect, go look at the same thing in retail and see what they charge for stuff that may not even be that good-seriously.

I don''t want to be really harsh on them as sometimes you can make out well on there. However, you can find better quality on other items. That''s a given. Then again, they are not charging a premium price for a lot of things either.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results