shape
carat
color
clarity

Joining the Lotus Club :)

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I posted at the beginning of the month about buying my first colored gem - a pretty little rhodolite cut by Barry - but I was having trouble deciding how to set it. Thread here. In the end, I decided against something with lots of diamonds, because that''s typically not my style for everyday wear, and then I fell in love with the setting Sally made for KateBar (inspired by the first version she made for FreeFly, which FF later had modified a bit to add milgraining/rope details). This is KateBar''s ring:

il_430xN_109393389.jpg

I went so far as to inquire to Sally about having the same ring made with my garnet, but then I did a bit of a 180 and realized the stone needed to be in something more simple. I think I was caught up in the fun of designing my ring and wasn''t really SEEING the stone, if that makes sense.

Sooo, I''m sending my garnet to Sally to have a mixed metal lotus made - 18kt gold for the head and silver for the band. I''m leaving the decision of whether to use yellow or rose gold up to her, because I think with the color variations there can be between alloys, it''s impossible for me to guess which will look better without seeing them in person.

Oh, and thanks to redfaerythinker, who actually suggested a Lotus in the first place. And Freke, your love of the rose gold stuck with me, which contributed to me never actually ruling it out. Now it''s up to Sally to choose.
3.gif
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, I had to stick up for it! No one else was, and it''s always my 2nd choice for metal color. (White being first of course!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotta love the delicacy of the lotus!

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my garnet made it to Sally in once piece (yay!), and after getting some more input from her I've decided to go with the 18k rose gold (hi, Freke!
35.gif
2.gif
). We're doing the prongs AND the supports in the rose gold, with silver for the shank, which is a bit different than any of the other two-tone lotus rings I've seen. I think this might actually be the first time she's doing it this way, so I can't wait to see what it looks like in the end. I'm liking the idea of just a bit more gold showing from the top view than there'd be if it was just the lotus petals/prongs. She's estimating it'll be done at the end of May, so I will of course be back to this thread with photos once I have it!
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!

RG: 1
All other colors of gold: 0

WOOT!

I can''t wait to see it!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sally''s lotuses are just divine, I know you''ll be thrilled!

I''m currently actually getting a modified version of katebar''s setting for a blue spinel, accents will be in rose gold.

I''m also talking to Sally about doing a modified lotus for my new garnet, but we''ll see if that pans out.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty ring.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love that ring!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
meant to add--your ring sounds gorgeous and I can''t wait to see it too@!!~!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
YAY. Always glad to be a lotus enabler!
27.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like it will be just lovely. Can''t wait to see how the two tone look turns out! I like the first ring you posted too, but I understand that you weren''t really looking at your stone. Maybe if you love that setting you can find a stone that will look good in it? Not to encourage you to buy another stone or anything....
26.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results