color
clarity

Joining the AVC setting bandwagon!!!

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

So this is my new baby!!!!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8724/

I love it!!! So warm and buttery. Big, flashes of OMG!!!

So background story. A few years back I lost my 1 ct radiant. No insurance and wasn't going to buy a new diamond until I could get one at a decent size. Been drooling over the diamonds on pricescope for a while. Then back in December 2010 I bought a "test" diamond from GOG. A 1/3 of ct AVR (G VS1?) since there were no AVC is my price range for a test. It was beautiful but much too small. :) But I did adore it. I looked at the flashes of light and loved them. Then in March decided to upgrade. So then came my 1.3 J H&A. Loved the size but rapidly DSS came into play. Tried to convince myself that if I only had a nice setting (this was in a Stuller temp setting) I would be totally happy. That it was sparkly enough. But something didn't feel right. :(

I always ended up going back to GOG to look at the AVCs. Then this last week they had a batch of warm AVCs come in. OMG!!! What joy!!! What happiness!!! So I snatched up the 1.76 L VS2 with the helpful advice of some wonderful PSers. I was worried about color since others said it could be an issue? After all what if I didn't like it? What if I just convinced myself I could like it? After all the J's tinge did bother me. After all I never saw an L in real life. I never even saw an AVC in real life!!! What if the pics on pricescope misled me to fall in love with something that in person would be awful??? Also what if I wouldn't notice the size difference? Though my main goal was switching to a cushion...for this jump in size I wanted to see some difference. After all bigger can't hurt. :)

I had to choose between two diamonds the 1.5 L VS2 and the 1.76 L VS2. The main issue being if it was worth the extra $1500 to go bigger. Would it be noticable to me? In two ways...from the 1.3 round to either 1.5 or 1.76 AVC. I got good advice here saying that I should go with bigger if the money isn't big issue. And Sarah at GOG said the 1.5 wouldn't be that noticable but that the 1.76 absolutely. She was so right!!! So I picked bigger. Issue I ran into was that if I didn't like the AVC I lose my trade-in RB. I would only get the store credit. So potentially risking buying back my RB for even more money. So out more money but with the same diamond. So I got good advice and bought the other AVC and kept the RB to compare and will be returning the RB. If I hadn't liked the RB I could simply return the AVC. So on Saturday I got the box from GOG (less than 3 days from the moment I saw the beauty on-line.)

So I admit I was scared. What if the color bothered me? What if it wasn't appreciably bigger? What if I didn't really like the shape? Um...none of that happened. The color was AMAZING!!! White in some lights!!! Like warm butter in others!!! So antique feeling. I ADORE IT!!! I am actually in love. With the 1.3 my first thought was HUGE!!! This one was hmmm...not so much bigger but OMG!!! So the not so big at first worried me since it was my first thought...then I really looked after I drooled for a while. Hubby pointed out that it was likely that it wasn't as big of a jump from a 1/3 to the 1.3. So it is WAY bigger but not the dramatic difference as before. When he pointed that out I was relieved since that made sense to be one of my first thoughts. It is such a nice size on my 5.25 finger. I am constantly comparing the two diamonds because I want to be sure that this is the one. I want to be positive that I'm not convincing myself that I love the color and cut and size. The hubby says that he thinks this is the one because I am drooling over it constantly. He adores the warmer color. Says he wouldn't like it in the RB (I agree) but that this really adds something to the AVC.

So I am keeping it for sure. I may upgrade in the future (when nursing school is done) but only for a bigger and warmer AVC. Though that is doubtful with the price of diamonds. A year from now it will probably be more insane. I refuse to think what I could have gotten this thing for 1-2 years ago. LOL. I have found my ultimate diamond and it is a fabulous shape, color, cut, clarity and size.

SOOOOO....now I need advice on a setting. I want it to be great. But I can't afford great. :( I don't want a cheap little Stuller temp setting until I find the right setting either. My current one is too small and I HATE the prongs. So thick and bulky. I was looking at the Vatche but haven't seen one in real life, so that worries me. I went to Green Lake Works in Seattle but they are kinda pricey but omg their filligree work is awesome. And they have this super yummy warm white gold (almost seems yellow but it isn't). Would look so awesome with my AVC.

What I am interested in is simple and elegant. Don't really want diamonds (other than my AVC) I really am concerned about the side view....I think the side view is important because that is what I usually see when I am typing or just looking at my hand. That is why the stuller setting bothers me so. So blah... Do you guys think a simple tiffany with elegant prongs would look chintzy? In the beautiful white gold? I want classic but an antiquey look without being too busy. What do you guys think? I also want it to be able to go with the 3/4 band I hope to get from GOG when the avr/avc melee come in.
Susan
Susan

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Susan what a gorgeous AVC. I love how it is so square and I am glad to hear that you are thrilled with it. It really is a nice size.

As for settings, I absolutely love Haven's setting and it has a gorgeous profile. I wonder if something similar to that with nice swirls/etc but simpler would be in budget? Some sort of fancy solitaire setting?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at the JBEG solitaires? They have the look you want.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my AVC in a modified Julia from JbEG - it has a gorgeous profile, yet simple from the top down to let the AVC shine!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a fantastic choice! I bet it's going to be beautiful in whatever you choose.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you taken any pics of your new stone? I'd love to see!

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Hi Susan. Your AVC is really pretty! I too jumped on the bandwagon last month and like you, was nervous about ordering an L. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box. I just love the warm, vanilla color and antique feel of the stone. I would love to see pictures of your diamond. What is your budget for the setting? JBEG does have some beautiful solitaires. I am glad you are happy with your stone. I can't wait to see what you choose for a setting.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats on your gorgeous new AVC! It is yummy! :appl: :appl: I agree that one of the JBEG solitaire seems to fit what you're looking for. I've seen one in person and it was gorgeous! Please share some photos of your new stone!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful AVC, especially love the shape and small table - Congrats !

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond is just gorgeous!!! Wow! :love: I don't think I can resist getting one of those for much longer!

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I do need to get pics up for you all. I do like JBEG a lot but goodness I LOVE Haven's ring. So delicate. I just need to tweak it in a way that makes it all mine. I always wonder about proportion because sometimes you see rings but the diamonds are huge and that changes how it would look kwim?

I so just want to pick a great setting.

I will ask the hubs how to get the pics from my phone onto PS later tomorrow. You guys will be amazed. :) I still love it so. I just wish it were in a setting so I could take it out with me everywhere. ;-)

Susan

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results