shape
carat
color
clarity

Job Dust...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
I know from experience how awesome PS dust is...and I''m not above asking for it.

As I''ve posted recently, I have been beyond miserable with my boss--but because of the job market, I figured I would be stuck here until I got fired.

WELL, a good friend of mine tipped me off that her firm is hiring (it''s still a very small firm, but is still bigger than my 3-person firm!), and although they are looking for someone who is more experienced than I am, the partners agreed to meet with me! I am hoping to get an appointment this week.

I''m hoping against hope that I get this job. You have no idea how much anxiety my current job has caused in my life. My friend works crazy hours there and is SO busy, but she really likes the people there, and I really trust her opinion.

So please, please, please--I need a LOT of dust.

I so appreciate it
26.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of job dust to you, Alli! And, a bit of advice too -- before your interview, do your best to clear your head of the negativity at your current job. You seem like you're a very positive person, so you probably won't have a hard time with this!! When I was working at a firm and feeling very beaten down, I really had a hard time with clearing my head and putting my best foot forward at interviews. Of course, for me, this was also because I was litigating, interviewing at firms where I'd still be litigating and doing my best to hide the fact that I didn't want to litigate!!!

Does this new firm have a family law practice?

Based on your last post, I think it's in your best interest to find a different firm. So, lots of luck and dust to you!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the advice, Loves!!! I will most DEFINITELY try to do that.

The new firm does exclusively family law, which is great--because that''s all I want to do
1.gif
My current boss takes on mostly family law, but some other clients too, and I am always stuck with trying to learn new areas of law (which isn''t necessarily a bad thing at all--but when I don''t know what I''m doing, my boss tends to have a very short fuse with me).

Thanks so much again--I really appreciate all your insight
35.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
***DUST***DUST***DUST***

Good Luck, Alli! I hope everything works out well for you!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 2:30:09 PM
Author: alli_esq
Thank you so much for the advice, Loves!!! I will most DEFINITELY try to do that.

The new firm does exclusively family law, which is great--because that's all I want to do
1.gif
My current boss takes on mostly family law, but some other clients too, and I am always stuck with trying to learn new areas of law (which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all--but when I don't know what I'm doing, my boss tends to have a very short fuse with me).

Thanks so much again--I really appreciate all your insight
35.gif
Oh, good! That'll make it easier for you! And, when they ask you why you want to leave your current firm or what about your current firm do you not like -- you can be honest, but also positive by telling them that you want to focus your practice on family law, that your current firm does mostly family law, but since you've been there, you've been doing a lot of work in different areas, which although you've been up for it (because you're a hard worker, willing to do what's asked of you, etc.), it's not the ideal for you, but this new firm would be because x, y, z.

Another thing you could mention is that you've already learned about the dynamics of their firm through your friend/colleague, and you know you'll be putting in a lot of hours (which again you're up for) and because you'll be spending so much time at work, it's important for you to spend it working with good people (which is not to say you don't have that with your current employer.) That is just a simple truth of work life, and I'd work something like that in at some point.

Also, fake confidence if you have to. Sometimes, when you're feeling beaten down, like I imagine you must be, it can be very hard to have confidence at an interview, especially when you know they are interviewing more experienced people. You should convey that even if you don't have as much experience as their other candidates, you learn quickly (as evidenced by x, y, z), and you're not afraid to work hard.

Good Luck with the interview!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best of luck! I hope that it goes well for you!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
1229642o3xt6zfh5z.gif
1229642o3xt6zfh5z.gif
1229642o3xt6zfh5z.gif
1229642o3xt6zfh5z.gif
1229642o3xt6zfh5z.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed SUPER hard for you - I really hope it works out!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sending lots of strong good dust your way!!!!!!!!! ******dust*************dust*************dust*************dust*************dust*******

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your dust and advice--I will definitely take it to heart
1.gif

I scheduled my interview for Thursday. I just need to cross my fingers that they will be so enamored that they will hire me despite my lack of experience! (Hey, at least they won''t have to pay me as much...right?
41.gif
)

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, Thursday!! How exciting! Best of luck, alli_esq!

dustideedustdusting you!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
thank you thank you!
9.gif

oh, and while I''m on--since I get such great advice here...I was wondering what I should do about clothes for my interview...

see, I certainly have to wear a suit to the interview, buuut, I mostly always wear jeans to work. aaand, although my boss likes to ignore me a lot, if he does spot me on Thursday with something resembling a suit, he might think it''s weird. I thought I could just wear the shirt and top and keep the suit jacket hidden until I leave, but even that is dressier than I normally go...

what would you do?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 2:47:18 PM
thank you thank you!
9.gif

oh, and while I''m on--since I get such great advice here...I was wondering what I should do about clothes for my interview...

see, I certainly have to wear a suit to the interview, buuut, I mostly always wear jeans to work. aaand, although my boss likes to ignore me a lot, if he does spot me on Thursday with something resembling a suit, he might think it''s weird. I thought I could just wear the shirt and top and keep the suit jacket hidden until I leave, but even that is dressier than I normally go...

what would you do?

I was going to suggested the same! Just wear a nice top and dress pants and hide the jacket.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Truckloads of DUST to you, Alli! I know how much you need a change. I''ll send up a few prayers for you.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Wear the suit. If your boss notices, just tell him you''re going to the bank/a wake/the opera or something. But that''s just my 2 cents.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Ha ha -- I have a friend who used to work for a business casual company, and whenever anyone wore a suit and had to leave in the middle of the day, they would joke that the person had an appointment with "Dr. NewJob!"

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 2:47:18 PM
thank you thank you!
9.gif

what would you do?

I would wear the pants and a t-shirt of some kind (or equally casual top) and then add a button down and the blazer later. Just make sure you can''t see the t-shirt under the button down.

And GOOD LUCK!!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
I would absolutely wear a suit to a law firm interview. Can you change in the car/on the way? Or just wear pants/shirt and add the jacket later?

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
oh yes, there was no question as to whether or not to wear a suit for the interview--I''ll definitely be doing that. Just how to dress for the rest of the day was the issue.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I don''t have any suits that aren''t skirts...but whatever, I''ll just wear my suit skirt and a top and put the jacket on when I leave (read: sneak out)
2.gif

ohhhh I want this job SOOO BAAAD!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
ohhhhmygoshohmygosh I''m getting really nervous for this afternoon.

I WANT THIS JOB SO MUCH!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
DUST, DUST, DUST! Boy, you''re going to have to do a lot of clean-up once you get this job!
2.gif

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 11:59:02 AM
Author: Snicklefritz
DUST, DUST, DUST! Boy, you''re going to have to do a lot of clean-up once you get this job!
2.gif
hahaha, I''ll be happy to get a part-time janitorial position after I get this other job!

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Good luck, Alli!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best of luck! Let us know how you get on!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Good luck Alli. I'm pulling for you!!!!

*******dust*******

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the dust, everyone. I don''t really know if I''ll hear back from them, or if I do, what they''ll say... it wasn''t much of an interview--it was sort of an informal meeting. He made it clear they''re looking for someone with much more experience, but that ultimately, they don''t want to take on a financial obligation they can''t maintain (obviously a more experienced associate would cost much more $$ than I would).

Oh well. Thanks again for the well wishes
35.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Sending tons of job dust!!!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 7:55:30 PM
Thanks for all the dust, everyone. I don''t really know if I''ll hear back from them, or if I do, what they''ll say... it wasn''t much of an interview--it was sort of an informal meeting. He made it clear they''re looking for someone with much more experience, but that ultimately, they don''t want to take on a financial obligation they can''t maintain (obviously a more experienced associate would cost much more $$ than I would).

Oh well. Thanks again for the well wishes
35.gif

I''ll just say this...you never know what''s going to happen.
5.gif
Job hunting is such an emotional drain. It sounds to me like you did the best you could. Treat yourself to a bath, a movie and a chocolate sundae.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Sarah...

And, Snickle--you''re not kidding. I came home and had a good cry--no real reason besides frustration. I am a bit of an anxious wreck right about now. Yay me. But you''re cute--I think I''ll watch the Mets and eat a couple of turkey burgers
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results