shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry stores in Chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pumpkn888

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Wondering if anyone on here has had experiences shopping for a diamond in Chicago or the Chicago area that they could comment on. Looking for recommendations as well as places to avoid.

Also, just came across Chicago Diamond Exchange site that seems to have received very good reviews on citysearch. Wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge about them, also.

Thank you in advance!
I appreciate it.
-Deb

Itgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Are you speaking in the city of or are you in the burbs?

pumpkn888

Rough_Rock
We live in the city but would consider checking out some of the closer suburbs as well.

pumpkn888

Rough_Rock
Cool, thanks! I hope people can help. So far we''ve been to Steve Quick and Fey&Co and met with very nice and knowledgeable people. I just don''t know how their prices compare to the brokers on Wabash.

We did also go to Robbins+Co and I wasn''t that thrilled.

A girl at my hair salon had the most gorgeous ring so we asked her where she got it, and she said New York Jewelers. We might go check them out soon. All of these seem to be rated on that Yelp page, so I''ll have to read those reviews more carefully.

Overall though, I just have this overwhelming issue with the price. I don''t know if we''re getting fair prices or if we could do better with a broker or someone on Wabash. I''ve heard you have to be careful that they don''t switch your stones though. I also often wonder if people reviewing these places are staff and not real customers. I don''t know, call me skeptical : )

Good luck in your search!

enfianced

Shiny_Rock
I live in Chicago and I would highly recommend M. Martin and Co in the jewelry district...www.mmartinjewelry.com

I didn''t get my asscher there, but they did my re-set and I know others who gotten their diamonds there and they''re fantastic. Stan Perkins was my guy and he was great. Steve Martin also comes highly recommended.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For pure INVENTORY I would check out New York Jewelers at 11 N. Wabash, ask for David Rosenwasser. They carry by far the largest selection of in-house stones that I've found in the City. (Note I'm not saying to necessarily *buy* from NYJ, but to check them out for options. If you do decide to buy from them I think you'll find their prices about 3-5% above internet prices--at least that has been my experience.) One caveat: I've never been happy with their stone setting so make sure you let them know up front that you are UBER picky and will only accept something that is perfectly set. They're open 9-5:30 M/T/W/F, 9-7 Thurs., 10-5 Sat, closed on Sunday.

If you want to see settings go to Marshall Pierce at 29 E. Madison, 6th Floor, and ask for Jerry Bern. They have a limited selection of settings in the cases, but they have a LOT of trays of designer settings in the back that they can bring out for you. They are open 9-5 Mon-Friday. I think they do have Saturday hours, but they are abbreviated so call first, 312-372-2415.

If you get to the point thatyou know EXACTLY what you want Mike Gale at 312-920-0075 can bring some things in for you to look at. His prices are VERY good, but he doesn't carry an in-house inventory so he has to bring all the stones in. He has his settings made by (IMHO) a very very fine jeweler.

The street level vendors on Wabash are... ok... but I would use them for idea shopping only. I suppose if you found a setting that you LOVE that would be OK, but for stones, no way.

I find Steve Quick to be fine if you know exactly what you want. He's no bargain.

The people at Fey & Co. don't know a diamond from a rock on the ground.

The people at the Chicago Diamond Exchange will HATE you if you come in with any sort of knowledge whatsoever. (One sales person actually rolled her eyes at me when I told her what she was describing was an indented natural, not a natural. She said they were the same thing. Um... no, they are not.)

Dimend Scaasi; I like their suff, but it's no bargain. They do have a more interesting selection than many other places, so that's a bonus.

M. Martin I've only had real experience with when I was looking for a yellow stone and I was not impressed by what he (Steven) brought in for me at all (it was like he just produced things to show me and didn't really listen to what I wanted, but I do understand yellow diamonds are very different than colorless ones).

Good luck in your search!

ETA: It kind of frightens me that I actaully know of all these people. Good lord, I need a new hobby!

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dee*Jay!! That''s very helpful for someone just getting started.

pumpkn888

Rough_Rock
yes, thanks very much! have you purchased anything online?

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Just throwing in my two cents - I really liked Garry Zimmerman at Windy City Diamonds.
1 S. Wabash in the Diamond District.

He re-set my engagement ring - so, I already had the stone but he did a great job with my wedding band and re-set.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Dimend Scaasi! They get great reviews here and at other sites. Right in the diamond district.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results