shape
carat
color
clarity

jewelry store lighting-yellow??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
I have noticed that my FIances ring looks very yellow/tan whenever we go into Jewlery stores like Longs, Descenza etc. At no other time does her ring look this way. They all seem to have similar lighting. I would think that Jewlery stores wouldnt want their diamonds to look yellow. Her ring is an off graded I color which is being returned(the person Im dealing with is still in the hunt for a replacement). It took us 3 months to even realier the problem with the color because everywhere else it looked white. Has anyone else noticed this when they go into Jewelry stores??

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert here, but my G color stone looks absolutely white in every jewelry store I've ever been in. Jewelry stores usually have high intensity lighting (such as tungsten or halogen) to help their diamonds sparkle the most. I don't think the lighting is more yellow. You mention your fiances stone is I in color. Who graded the stone? If for example it was graded by EGL, they are noted for being a little soft in their grades, so your I colored stone could be a lower color and the more intense lighting in the store could be helping the diamond look more yellow. Is the diamond set in white or yellow? The setting can affect the perceived color as well. Also, a poorly cut stone can show more color. There is a thread here about J colored stones and how incredibly white they can be if the cut is ideal.

Sounds like you're getting rid of the stone anyway, so when you look at possible replacements, pay less attention to the color grade. Instead, pay more attention to the cut.

Good luck.........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results