shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Safe

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure this is in the right forum, sorry.

Does anyone own one a jewelry safe or have a recommendation for a small one? Preferably nothing too expensive. Also other ideas are welcome. I have a few pieces I would like to keep in it when I'm not wearing them (but maybe someday my collection will grow too). The idea is so that they don't wander off if we have cleaners come clean the house. Also, there have been burglaries in nearby neighborhoods.

Any ideas? Thanks everyone

SB621

Ideal_Rock
We used to have a safe but the problem was with the small ones you need to bolt them down to something. It won't really deter a theif. I know it is not as convenient but I would really recommend to keep jewelry not worn in the bank in a lock box.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I appreciate the suggestion.

But, I do like to switch what I wear, so having to go to a bank isn't the most convenient. Especially with my work schedule.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A thief will just pick up a small safe and take it. You need something bolted down.

Or you need to diversify. Worst thing you can do is keep your jewelry all in one place that screams "jewelry here" like a jewelry box.

You can break up you pieces and put them in unlikely places in your house. Duct tape is your friend.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
That's a good point. I guess if it's all in the same place it makes it easier for the thief not just me.

Okay thanks guys.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple of comments. A bolted down safe is better than nothing. I keep mine in the attic which is full of stuff over and around it.
There are great hiding places, like in a cable wall plate.

My Mother used the hide a little here, hide a little there. She went into the hospital on an emergency basis and never regained consciousness. Out of a life time of collecting diamonds there was quite a little treasure trove in her home.....somewhere.
After 50 days of searching even the food in the freezer & hoouseplant soil, we only found two diamond rings. The rest is lost forever.
She always told us her rings would be pinned in the curtains, but they weren't. The diamonds we found [the two 2/12 carat ones I have posted elsewhere on Pricescope] were rolled up in toilet paper inside an old showercap in a drawer.
By the way, the insurance company would not pay - they said it was HER policy - and no one else could put in a claim [Liberty Mutual].
So there's really no great solution.

I would say that the bolted down safe would be good enough if for times when you have a housesitter or people working in your house.
Can't hurt to have one. I got an excellent one - reveiwed on Amazon] at Lowes for a little over 100.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a bolted down safe in which I keep all my jewelry and it allows me to wear whatever I want whenever I want. I highly recommend it. And if you live in a house I recommend an alarm system making it more challenging to get into your house in the first place.

Keeping your valuables in a safe is absolutely a smart idea because even though it isn't foolproof it's not going to be something a cleaning crew or workmen can get into when they are in your home if that is what you are concerned about. And when it is bolted down it just adds another layer of security making it difficult to breach.

As Jimmianne recommended you can get a safe at Amazon, Lowes etc. Just read the reviews and consumer reports to make sure it will suit your needs.

jewelrysafe.jpeg

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Jimmianne|1389531244|3591321 said:
I have a couple of comments. A bolted down safe is better than nothing. I keep mine in the attic which is full of stuff over and around it.
There are great hiding places, like in a cable wall plate.

My Mother used the hide a little here, hide a little there. She went into the hospital on an emergency basis and never regained consciousness. Out of a life time of collecting diamonds there was quite a little treasure trove in her home.....somewhere.
After 50 days of searching even the food in the freezer & hoouseplant soil, we only found two diamond rings. The rest is lost forever.
She always told us her rings would be pinned in the curtains, but they weren't. The diamonds we found [the two 2/12 carat ones I have posted elsewhere on Pricescope] were rolled up in toilet paper inside an old showercap in a drawer.
By the way, the insurance company would not pay - they said it was HER policy - and no one else could put in a claim [Liberty Mutual].
So there's really no great solution.

I would say that the bolted down safe would be good enough if for times when you have a housesitter or people working in your house.
Can't hurt to have one. I got an excellent one - reveiwed on Amazon] at Lowes for a little over 100.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Sounds like she found a lot of good hiding places. It's sad that a lot of her collection was lost forever.

Do you have a link to the safe you got? You mentioned it was Amazon. Was it hard to install/bolt down?

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1389532247|3591324 said:
I have a bolted down safe in which I keep all my jewelry and it allows me to wear whatever I want whenever I want. I highly recommend it. And if you live in a house I recommend an alarm system making it more challenging to get into your house in the first place.

Keeping your valuables in a safe is absolutely a smart idea because even though it isn't foolproof it's not going to be something a cleaning crew or workmen can get into when they are in your home if that is what you are concerned about. And when it is bolted down it just adds another layer of security making it difficult to breach.

As Jimmianne recommended you can get a safe at Amazon, Lowes etc. Just read the reviews and consumer reports to make sure it will suit your needs.

I don't have an attic or a crawlspace. The best place I can think of is inside my closet? I don't want an electronic one, just a combination and/or key one. Do you have one you can recommend? What do you bolt it to?

Thanks! Your safe looks really nice. Thanks for the picture.

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
I had one of my best friends show me where important emergency cash, contacts and documents were in case something happened to her or her family. When she showed me where in her house they were stashed I would NEVER have guessed. All I can say is that furniture can be your friend when hiding things. The heavier and more utilitarian the better. All sorts of hiding places for them. Same could apply for jewelry. Except maybe since you'd be using it more you'd want to lock the door before you pull it out so no one can accidently pop in.

I cannot imagine workers nor thieves would have ever found them. Maybe a spy, maybe. XD Anything to limit access/availability though. I used to be a huge junkie of the old discovery show that would faux rob people to show how lacking their security was, and most of them go for easy picks. Isolated places, ladders left outdoors, doors/windows not locked and valuables left in the open. There are of course no guarantees but by being a little creative and avoiding typical hiding places you can increase the safety of belongings.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
SouthernSunset|1389550901|3591440 said:
I had one of my best friends show me where important emergency cash, contacts and documents were in case something happened to her or her family. When she showed me where in her house they were stashed I would NEVER have guessed. All I can say is that furniture can be your friend when hiding things. The heavier and more utilitarian the better. All sorts of hiding places for them. Same could apply for jewelry. Except maybe since you'd be using it more you'd want to lock the door before you pull it out so no one can accidently pop in.

I cannot imagine workers nor thieves would have ever found them. Maybe a spy, maybe. XD Anything to limit access/availability though. I used to be a huge junkie of the old discovery show that would faux rob people to show how lacking their security was, and most of them go for easy picks. Isolated places, ladders left outdoors, doors/windows not locked and valuables left in the open. There are of course no guarantees but by being a little creative and avoiding typical hiding places you can increase the safety of belongings.

Interesting. Furniture would be a pretty creative place. What about cleaners though... if they are dusting or changing sheets? I wouldn't want to tempt anyone. Especially if a ring falls out of the sheets when they are making the bed or something haha.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkles22|1389548087|3591424 said:

I don't have an attic or a crawlspace. The best place I can think of is inside my closet? I don't want an electronic one, just a combination and/or key one. Do you have one you can recommend? What do you bolt it to?

Thanks. It's actually 3 safes and we keep them in a linen closet. We are fortunate in that we have a lot of closets. You can also lock the closet for extra security if you want but it is not necessary. They are digital combination safes but also have keys which we chose not to use.

As a housewarming gift my parents gave us our first safe (from Lowes but do not remember the specifics of the safe) and that one my dh drilled into our floor with lag screws. The top 2 safes we bought from Amazon a long time ago and again cannot remember specifics but my dh drilled those 2 into the wall with anchor bolts and also drilled into the top of the middle safe to attach to the bottom of the top safe so they are doubly attached and much more difficult to breach. My dh says it is not difficult to do but you have to be somewhat handy. All of the safes are fireproof (to a certain extent).

I love the freedom of wearing whatever pieces I want and the peace of mind knowing it's safe and there when I want it. I would not feel comfortable hiding my jewelry (too much to hide anyway) all over the house. Seems like there is too much potential for a mess up.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1389559913|3591517 said:
Sparkles22|1389548087|3591424 said:

Thanks. It's actually 3 safes and we keep them in a linen closet. We are fortunate in that we have a lot of closets. You can also lock the closet for extra security if you want but it is not necessary. They are digital combination safes but also have keys which we chose not to use.

As a housewarming gift my parents gave us our first safe (from Lowes but do not remember the specifics of the safe) and that one my dh drilled into our floor with lag screws. The top 2 safes we bought from Amazon a long time ago and again cannot remember specifics but my dh drilled those 2 into the wall with anchor bolts and also drilled into the top of the middle safe to attach to the bottom of the top safe so they are doubly attached and much more difficult to breach. My dh says it is not difficult to do but you have to be somewhat handy. All of the safes are fireproof (to a certain extent).

I love the freedom of wearing whatever pieces I want and the peace of mind knowing it's safe and there when I want it. I would not feel comfortable hiding my jewelry (too much to hide anyway) all over the house. Seems like there is too much potential for a mess up.

Thanks. I want to try this option. Unfortunately DH is not handy... so I will have to see if I can figure out how to attach them. I will have to check Amazon too. Will they say they are able to be bolted down in the description? I like the idea of the fireproof. And I don't want to accidentally lose any pieces by placing them all over the house either.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
One other suggestion: can you get one built in --- in the wall, on the floor---between the house's joists/beams (not sure what they're called). It takes effort and is best done during a remodel or build but that way it's hidden or can be covered to give you access any time. I love SB's set up! I wish I needed that much room :lol:

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
WhoaNelly|1389564799|3591556 said:
One other suggestion: can you get one built in --- in the wall, on the floor---between the house's joists/beams (not sure what they're called). It takes effort and is best done during a remodel or build but that way it's hidden or can be covered to give you access any time. I love SB's set up! I wish I needed that much room :lol:

I like this. If we ever remodel.... :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results