shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Repair Shops- What if you forget to pick item up?

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
Jewelry Repair Shops- What if you forget to pick item up?

I know someone who took a bracelet in to a jewelry repair shop. The jeweler didn't call them to let them know it was done (it was supposed to be a few weeks). The person forgot to pick it up.

It's clearly too late for this person to retrieve the item, but I was wondering.. what happens to items that customers forget to pick up from jewelry repair shops? How long do they usually hold it? Do they sell forgotten items? Trash them? Keep them a set amount of time? Is it common for customers to forget to pick up their repaired items?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Jewelry Repair Shops- What if you forget to pick item up

At the large corporate jewelry store I used to work at, they kept unclaimed repairs in the store for 6-12 months, and after that they were sent to home office for storage. They could be located and shipped back to the store at anytime, with the proper identification and documentation. Once while I was there, someone claimed a repair item from 10 years earlier. I'm sure that it varies from company to company, and I have no idea how a small store would work. Hope this is helpful!

ringthings

Shiny_Rock

Thanks! Wow, that is really helpful. Are they stored indefinitely? 10 years.. wow. I'm surprised someone remembered after that long.

I think this person forget it 3-5ish years ago, and I thought that was long (they're not trying to get it back.. I asked them about an old piece of theirs I remembered, and they told me they forgot to get it.. and I was like WHAT.. you forgot it?!) I believe it was just a small store they went to.. I should ask more details. I'm sure they'd be pleasantly surprised in the remote chance that they could actually get it back (though, they don't expect to, at all).

manderz

Brilliant_Rock

I don't know for sure, but I think they were stored indefinitely. It would be unethical for anyone to take something that didn't belong to them, and then sell it or dismantle it and use it for something else.

ringthings

Shiny_Rock

Thanks. I'll have to have the relative inquire. It sure would be nice to get the piece back for them.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock

usually the customer signs an envelope that states that items not picked up in a certain time become the property of the company so they can sell the item for payment.most of the jewelers Ive worked for keep the jewelry for years before it sold or dismantled.once i had an omega gents watch come in for cleaning ($50.00 for cleaning in 1985) and the watch was still there 3 years later and after several attempts to find him.The manager offered me the watch if i payed the cleaning fee.that offer was made on Friday...on Monday the original owner showed up with repair stub in hand and wanted his watch.The man got his watch back because i hadn't paid for the watch yet.very luck man!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results