shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry pet peeves!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t like wearing bracelets or high settings on rings for the same reason: I always feel like they’ll get knocked or snagged on something. (But I love the way bracelets look on other people!)

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaaargh! Stupid Van Cleef and Arpels bracelet and necklace clasps - such a PITA!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Geez, now that I'm redesigning my diamond ring, I'm finding more things with which to become peeved. Prongs. I'm prong phobic, anti prong, a de-prong advocate. Please don't prong me. That leaves bezel which is a peeve and tension set which is a no no so I suppose the only non prong peeve option is glue, lol.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Geez, now that I'm redesigning my diamond ring, I'm finding more things with which to become peeved. Prongs. I'm prong phobic, anti prong, a de-prong advocate. Please don't prong me. That leaves bezel which is a peeve and tension set which is a no no so I suppose the only non prong peeve option is glue, lol.

Laser drill it! Then you wouldn’t even have glue residue to irk you. Just tunnel straight through the stone! It’d probably do horrible things to the light return on a ring-size stone and you’d need nerves of steel during the lasering, but you’d nicely circumvent prongs, bezels and tension settings!

(I’m now intrigued as to whether anyone has been crazy/steely enough to laser a sizeable stone - I’ve only ever seen it on small pendant stones. Probably for very good reason...)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laser drill it! Then you wouldn’t even have glue residue to irk you. Just tunnel straight through the stone! It’d probably do horrible things to the light return on a ring-size stone and you’d need nerves of steel during the lasering, but you’d nicely circumvent prongs, bezels and tension settings!

Ach, no holes in my diamond please. Maybe eensy teensy velcro strips.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Ach, no holes in my diamond please. Maybe eensy teensy velcro strips.

This is making me giggle :lol: I recently told my hubby I just wish my diamonds could just float on my finger and on my ear! I don't want any metal I just want them to somehow float or stick on my ear lol! I'm not well :lol: I'll have to tell him about tiny velcro and superglue lol!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaaargh! Stupid Van Cleef and Arpels bracelet and necklace clasps - such a PITA!

OMG.
I thought I was the only one!! :lol:
My Sweet bracelets are impossible.
My Vintage bracelet is better.
I LOVE my 5-flower Frivole bracelet - in huge part because the clasp is so easy to deal with!! The jump ring that the clasp hooks into is actually attached to the back of the fifth motif, so the weight of the motif holds it still long enough to catch it and hook it...
I won't get into my angsting over the Perlee clovers clip (again) :rolleyes: :lol:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think this peeve is a carryover from childhood. My parents had gold wedding bands, not too thick and not too thin.(to me). When neighbors visited and I looked at their very skinny wedding bands, I thought they were poor. I may have been around ten when I made this judgement, and I haven't been able to shake it since then. I dislike thin bands, no matter what kind of ring. If you wear a silver thin band, at first I will still think you may be poor.

Annette

The year 1950

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
OMG.
I thought I was the only one!! :lol:
My Sweet bracelets are impossible.
My Vintage bracelet is better.
I LOVE my 5-flower Frivole bracelet - in huge part because the clasp is so easy to deal with!! The jump ring that the clasp hooks into is actually attached to the back of the fifth motif, so the weight of the motif holds it still long enough to catch it and hook it...
I won't get into my angsting over the Perlee clovers clip (again) :rolleyes: :lol:

@doberman and @yssie Bracelet clasps can be SO annoying! I learned this handy little trick ages ago and it works so well! Here's a very short video that shows how to use a paper clip for clasps of bracelets. :dance:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
The whole chocolate diamonds advertising spiel.

Sky-high settings. Setting height should be in proportion to stone size. Small stones can look magical but space needle settings kill me.

Now I have to admit that I wore the hell out of toe rings and cheap chokers in the 90s.
They looked great with my brown lipstick and platform flip-flops. The absolute epitome of style :lol:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
@doberman and @yssie Bracelet clasps can be SO annoying! I learned this handy little trick ages ago and it works so well! Here's a very short video that shows how to use a paper clip for clasps of bracelets. :dance:

I use blue painters tape to tape one end to my wrist while I work the clasp with the other hand.
It works!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sky-high settings. Setting height should be in proportion to stone size. Small stones can look magical but space needle settings kill me.

Now I have to admit that I wore the hell out of toe rings and cheap chokers in the 90s.
They looked great with my brown lipstick and platform flip-flops. The absolute epitome of style :lol:

I may or may not be sporting a diamond toe ring under my fuzzy socks... :twisted2:

Girlfriday17

Shiny_Rock
I use blue painters tape to tape one end to my wrist while I work the clasp with the other hand.
It works!

I will have to remember that trick for when I don’t have my husband around to do it up for me.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I think this peeve is a carryover from childhood. My parents had gold wedding bands, not too thick and not too thin.(to me). When neighbors visited and I looked at their very skinny wedding bands, I thought they were poor. I may have been around ten when I made this judgement, and I haven't been able to shake it since then. I dislike thin bands, no matter what kind of ring. If you wear a silver thin band, at first I will still think you may be poor.

Annette

The year 1950

This thread is pure gold

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ive grown to appreate non white diamonds but i read so much Wilbur Smith over the years, his stories in the diamond fields - anything but white was undesirable
And although i now love the Champaign and chocolates and greys, i just shake my head in wonder at good marketing

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Ive grown to appreate non white diamonds but i read so much Wilbur Smith over the years, his stories in the diamond fields - anything but white was undesirable
And although i now love the Champaign and chocolates and greys, i just shake my head in wonder at good marketing

I don't mind the color at all--just the advertising. LeVian sounds too close to la viande to me. The meat chocolate diamonds. Not my favorite combination of concepts lol

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Round diamonds set in square settings, they don't look round anymore, what is that? to me just buy a emerald or cushion.

1/2 eternity rings, the band is always on top a real PITA.

HALOS, there's really only a few halos I've seen that I liked, Double halos are even worse to me, but I am a total solitaire girl with maybe some type of diamonds along the ring part.. to me halos look like dinner rings of the 80s.

I do like halos that are made out of baguettes,

pendants that flip over.

someone said that they liked bracelets till for about 1 min, I'm the same way, love them but they bug me.

Watches with those huge big faces, ugly.

stacking rings because then the rings feel too thick.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t like full eternities, and have never had a problem with half eternities slipping on my finger.

I like bezels :lol:

I don’t like millgraining.

I like halos.

I don’t like oversized faces on watches, and I like watches and bracelets to sit snug on my wrist, I don’t like the feel of them being all loosey goosey.

Good job we’re all different.

:mrgreen:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may or may not be sporting a diamond toe ring under my fuzzy socks... :twisted2:

I love toe rings. When I was younger I wore them. I don’t anymore but only because I have to be super careful of my big toe. Long story lol. Suffice to say my toes go unadorned. For now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is making me giggle :lol: I recently told my hubby I just wish my diamonds could just float on my finger and on my ear! I don't want any metal I just want them to somehow float or stick on my ear lol! I'm not well :lol: I'll have to tell him about tiny velcro and superglue lol!

I’m not saying who but my dear friend who’s a PSer glue dotted a diamond to her finger while deciding if it was a keeper. ;-). She’s ahead of her time ❤️

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I’m not saying who but my dear friend who’s a PSer glue dotted a diamond to her finger while deciding if it was a keeper. ;-). She’s ahead of her time ❤

Omg YES!!! the question I have now is did the superglue mess up the diamond? And did she love the diamond? This would be epic to see a diamond glued on her finger!!! Thanks for the giggle Missy, just what I needed today. Hugs to you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg YES!!! the question I have now is did the superglue mess up the diamond? And did she love the diamond? This would be epic to see a diamond glued on her finger!!! Thanks for the giggle Missy, just what I needed today. Hugs to you!

Haha the Diamond was AOK. The vendor then sent a holder (iirc) so she wouldn’t do that again. :lol:
If I remember right she liked the diamond but it wasn’t the one she ended up with.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Super strong alternative metal wedding bands, like titanium. Whenever I’m in a jewelry store and see someone shopping for one (usually a man) I want to say “if you ever have a finger emergency, the paramedics/doctors won’t be able cut that band off and you’ll probably lose your finger”.

Weird thoughts, but I used to work in the medical field.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results